AI art knows Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: AI art knows Spyderco

Post by Donut »

I would say that it would be interesting if a prototype was made out of what AI generated (with some human input).

I wonder where they pulled their info from. It's not like they're going to design something from scratch, it must be mostly a copy of something.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:48 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:22 pm
So long as AI does not infringe (intellectual property; job opportunities),
Job opportunities? Technology always eliminates jobs. Have you seen a car factory lately?

It may create new job opportunities but on the whole it’s rare to see an increase in low skilled jobs when a technology takes hold. Eventually we will need to pay a lot of people to not work.
Had you not missed what I said in full, I wonder if you would have responded as you did. We happen to agree.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Meanwhile nowadays "self teaching" AI programms turn their output into an increasingly blurry mass:

Last edited by eventhorizon on Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notorious fidgeteer
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting. Gail showed me AI generated photos of President Trump and President Biden being good friends. Sitting together, shaking hands, etc. It sure looked real? Sure makes me suspect AI being honest and truthful..............ever?

These days, manipulation and selected information over the population seems to be the preferred method to control the masses, and AI will, in my opinion, make that easier.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:10 pm
Interesting. Gail showed me AI generated photos of President Trump and President Biden being good friends.
How sure are you that was really Gail? AI is getting pretty convincing these days.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zyla,

Funny, but Gail is too unique for AI to deal with.

sal
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

eventhorizon wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:55 am
Meanwhile nowadays "self teaching" AI programms turn their output into an increasingly blurry mass:

https://youtu.be/NcH7fHtqGYM
Photocopy of a photocopy type situation.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

And some more cheerful thoughts, insides and outlooks brilliantly put together by our favourite theoretical physicist Sabine:

The future, so bright... if you're really, really rich (if not, not so much) :nauseated
notorious fidgeteer
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Finally read through this thread. Didn't realize we were having a conversation here. May as well toss in my 2 cents on the subject.

One of the many things the company I work for does is being at the forefront of getting 'native AI' running on your smartphones, PC's, cars, etc. It's discussed often.

For a tech guy, I'm very anti tech. I hate that the privacy and anonymity of my youth is a memory. Something the current generation will never know. I feel like I work for the enemy sometimes :') I did some HTML programming in 1995, before the internet became what it is today. You could see it coming (or at least I could). I used to ask my friends who where excited about being connected to everyone in the world... have you met people? Are you sure you want to be connected to all of them? I don't like more than 10% of the people at this school :')

My point to that is: even though many people could see the inherent dangers of the tech, there was no stopping it, and there was no real effort to safeguard against the dangers. Nothing has changed in that regard. It is the same with AI. We see the problems coming, yet we do nothing proactively to mitigate them. We are going to make the tools. At my company at least, the things we make that inadvertently eliminate your privacy, are made with the best of intentions to make your life easier. Whether they are used for good or bad, that's someone elses problem. From the A Bomb to AI, this is how mankind operates.

In regards to AI. Want to know what keeps me up at night? It's not art or intellectual property theft. It's Predictive AI.

In the name of anticipating your needs to better serve you, to better target you with relevant advertisements, in the name of stopping things like financial crimes by recognizing patterns of criminals.... Predictive A.I. was born. You can debate how well it works, but it uses patterns to predict behavior. It knows what kind of food you like, when you like to eat it, where you like to shop, your purchase habits, it knows who your friends are, it can guess how you will vote, what political party you belong to. Which of the major personality types you belong to, likely skills, strengths and weaknesses, eduction level, fitness level, sleep habits, medical conditions..... a host of very personal information you wouldn't want a stranger to know :hushed-face

As we speak NASDAQ is using Predictive AI to hunt down financial crimes by tracking purchasing habits. This will expand.

Job screenings are increasingly being done by AI. So much so that they are beginning to offer courses on how to make your resume more AI friendly. This is where predictive AI will take a sinister turn I think. Discrimination.

How hard will it be for an employer, an insurance company, a lender, whomever.... to screen you using predictive AI. And filter out people based on a whole host of reasons. Political affiliation, medical conditions, perceived IQ. You won't even realize it's happening to you. They never asked you a question about who you vote for, you never told them, yet the AI knows (or thinks it knows), and you don't get the job, loan, etc. :worried
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Matt, glad you fleshed-in all the predictive AI I vaguely meant in my reference to “algorithms”. Very scary.

Scarier still is that far too many of us are moths to a flame.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I think privacy was pretty much shredded long ago.

I think predictive A.I.'s main appeal is to sift through all the data that the Gov Agencies and Corporations were drowning in.

Keep in mind that this isn't just an American problem, the same thing is happening in most countries around the world that can afford it.

All the A.I. legislation we approve will not matter to other countries.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:58 pm
Scarier still is that far too many of us are moths to a flame.
The generation that grew up with blade runner and the terminator movies didn't even hesitate a little to make robots and A.I. :zany
shunsui wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:55 pm
All the A.I. legislation we approve will not matter to other countries.
I think it's one of the reasons we throw caution to the wind when we make things like bioweapons, new and better bombs, A.I., etc....
The real fear that someone else will do it first and have the advantage. If we restrict our AI development, what if someone else doesn't, and they get ahead..... it pushes humanity into a place of "can we" instead of "should we".

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom. I have hope for the future. We may thread the needle and survive ourselves yet :preying

Technology, robots, AI, it can all make our lives better. It doesn't have to be dystopian. I hope humanity follows in the vision of Gene Roddenberry, and we become like Star Trek
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal