The ultimate grail… work knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

The ultimate grail… work knife.

Post by JoviAl »

I was sat in my office earlier this morning prepping for a day of work mulching, pruning and grafting. The last thing I do before I walk out of the door is select an SE and a PE knife for my day’s work (delayed gratification?). I have found myself coming back to the same four knives for the last few months - for dry days (although still very sweaty) I tend to opt for an SE Rockjumper and a PW Customs fixed blade in Elmax (sort of a harpoon-ish modified Wharncliffe), both liberally slathered in anti-corrosion unguents. For wet days I use my Magnacut mule and my SE Caribbean Leaf. I enjoy them all enormously, but I find myself musing as to what features I like the most from each that could be merged into 💥THE ULTIMATE FOLDING WORK KNIFE!!! 💥

- From the Rockjumper - the handle forward design and a self-close bias lock.
- From the Carribean - the blade length, edge coming right up to the handle and the serrations.
- From the PW Customs Harp - the harpoon spine thumb ramp situation on the blade and burlap micarta.
- From the Mule - Magnacut, as it not only laughs at sap, salty sweat and getting thrashed about, but makes offensive jokes about them in public.

If such a thing could be made with either a CBBL or powerlock I think it would be magnificent. In my mind I’m secretly calling it ‘Excalibur’, but don’t tell anyone 😜

Any thoughts on how this absolute powerhouse of a work knife could be improved further? I’ve already considered go-faster stripes, but we need to keep something in the back pocket for future sprints.
Last edited by JoviAl on Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
ladybug93

Re: The ultimate grail… work knife.

Post by ladybug93 »

sounds like a cool knife. you should submit a drawing to spyderco. maybe in a couple years, we can be carrying the spyderco jovial.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:26 pm
sounds like a cool knife. you should submit a drawing to spyderco. maybe in a couple years, we can be carrying the spyderco jovial.
That would be novel, although I think the name might need a bit of work - the Spyderco ‘cheerful and friendly’ has a bit of an odd ring to it 🤔😂

Where I come from in glorious sunny Yorkshire, we call hard work ‘graft/ing’ and a hard working person a ‘grafter’, as in -
“Wow! Did you just eat a whole wheel of cheddar cheese?!”
“Aye, it were a bit o’graft, but nowt too serious… 🤢

So maybe the Spyderco Grafter (As a cheeky nod to the classic C01 Worker, and also the name of an arboriculture task it would excel at. You know I love a good double meaning 😉).
- Al

Dream knives -
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I would totally buy a Spyderco Grafter, by JoviAl Designs 😉
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’m a big fan of Gayle Bradley’s design ethos on the GB1 and GB2. I’m envisioning a premium quality work knife that will give years of reliable service in gruelling conditions, priced to reflect that quality but with the cost going into robustness and design innovations rather than premium titanium scales and whatnot (not that I’ve got anything against titanium scales, but on a knife that isn’t going to have a frame lock they would be an unnecessary extravagance). The current full liner design of the new Cru-carta range but with burlap rather than linen would be ideal (again, nothing against linen micarta, I just find burlap more aesthetically pleasing with its visible strands).
- Al

Dream knives -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, I've been wishing for a backlock Carribean for quite some time now... and it would merge not all, but more features you want (if it came in MC even more).

I hope the Leafjumper XL/Sequoia will be something like a backlock Carribean, or the 4" blade "Deep Space" (see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92202&start=80#p1772848 ) will come and come with a backlock in the end...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:25 pm
Well, I've been wishing for a backlock Carribean for quite some time now... and it would merge not all, but more features you want (if it came in MC even more).

I hope the Leafjumper XL/Sequoia will be something like a backlock Carribean, or the 4" blade "Deep Space" (see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92202&start=80#p1772848 ) will come and come with a backlock in the end...
A Leafjumper XL would tick many of the boxes for sure, especially if they could make it a linered salt knife.
- Al

Dream knives -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:

A Leafjumper XL would tick many of the boxes for sure, especially if they could make it a linered salt knife.
I am pretty (but not 100%) sure that Sal said he was already designing or even testing one - ?
It definitely has been discussed a lot already under the name "Sequoia"
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think I'm already fourth in line, but claiming my spot for a Spyderco Jovial Cheerful Friendly Grafter Excalibur now.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:30 am
I think I'm already fourth in line, but claiming my spot for a Spyderco Jovial Cheerful Friendly Grafter Excalibur now.
I’d better go buy a fresh pack of crayons (I ate my last set) and get designing then!
- Al

Dream knives -
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Bagsy me the 5th Grafter. I normally whinge about micarta but I'll be patiently queueing up for one.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:17 am
Bagsy me the 5th Grafter. I normally whinge about micarta but I'll be patiently queueing up for one.
Bagsy?! Are you from the UK too?
- Al

Dream knives -
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:

That sounds interesting. A Carribean sized backlock with SE Magnacut and dark green burlap micarta. If it's still a Salt and needs a water themed name, maybe call it the Salish after the Puget Sound/Salish Sea area and all of the islands, dark water, and evergreens around there. Put me down for one.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:58 am
While I did just finish the latest season of Taskmaster, I'm from the states. I fell down a rabbit hole of UK slang after reading you're Grafter explanation. I only recently heard whinge a few months ago. Instead of bagsy we'd say "I call" or "dibs" ex "I call shotgun" (to claim the front passenger seat of a vehicle) , or, "dibs on the last slice of pepperoni" etc. Growing up in the 90's-00's in southern California if I'm around my friends and need to lay claim I'll more likey say "tap tap."

I tap tap the 5th Grafter. I normally complain about micarta, but I'll be patiently waiting in line for one.
sal

Post by sal »

FYI, in the UK, a "Grafter" is also a term used for "Pitchman".

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:44 pm
FYI, in the UK, a "Grafter" is also a term used for "Pitchman".

sal
I’d never heard the term ‘pitchman’ before, but after a bit of googling I’ve been enlightened! This name is the gift that keeps on giving, as with all of those features in one package and made by Spyderco I’m sure it would be its own top salesman and sell itself 😉 Funnily enough my recently passed grandfather was a travelling grafter for a few years after he came out of the navy back in the 1970’s, selling vacuum cleaners if my memory serves.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:26 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:58 am
While I did just finish the latest season of Taskmaster, I'm from the states. I fell down a rabbit hole of UK slang after reading you're Grafter explanation. I only recently heard whinge a few months ago. Instead of bagsy we'd say "I call" or "dibs" ex "I call shotgun" (to claim the front passenger seat of a vehicle) , or, "dibs on the last slice of pepperoni" etc. Growing up in the 90's-00's in southern California if I'm around my friends and need to lay claim I'll more likey say "tap tap."

I tap tap the 5th Grafter. I normally complain about micarta, but I'll be patiently waiting in line for one.
The UK has so many dialects you can usually find at least three or four irreverent ways of saying something in slang. We’re also big fans of silly turns of phrase, like (when something was pointless or useless) “about as much use as nipples on a piano” or (when heading to the pub and asked where you are going) “I’m off to exercise my right to get paralytic and fight”.
- Al

Dream knives -
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Sounds reet grand, which should be the name of the XLversion.
Full SE and I’m in.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:07 pm
Sounds reet grand, which should be the name of the XLversion.
Full SE and I’m in.
😂 well played!
- Al

Dream knives -
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Al,

You gonna draw one or should I have our guy Peter put a drawing together?

sal