Military Sprint Runs No More?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Military Sprint Runs No More?

Post by sal »

Hi Brj,

Beautiful collection! Thanx for the support.

sal
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

brj wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:37 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:05 pm
While I like the new Military 2 version, to me it’s a larger PM2 and not so much a “Military” anymore. I’m not writing this to provoke a discussion about their relative merits or how one can’t stop the flow of “progress” — just a personal opinion from someone who’s a huge fan of the original.
Absolutely +1 on this. Not a fan of the 'mega choil' or any of the other improvements introduced with the Para 2/3 line. Will most likely get the S90V version, but I know it could never melt in my hand as the OG does. I'm glad I got in on the St. Nick's sprint, most likely the very last iteration of the OG Millie.

Incredible collection. I only have the CPM D2 Sprint, but its served me very well since it was released in ~2007/08.

I'd say we've seen a good run of Sprints for the Mil1, and its reasonable for Sprints to now pivot to the Mil2 to help launch that new model.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:51 pm
We never got a Maxamet or 15V Military. :(
Would love to see either one. I imagine a Maxamet Milly (or even Milly 2) is unlikely given how difficult it was to work with even in the PM2 platform.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Mil2, but not the choil. I hope when Spyderco does CQI one of the changes is to go back to the Mil1 choil.

I think the Millie 2 will be a better and stronger knife with the compression lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:21 am
I like the Mil2, but not the choil. I hope when Spyderco does CQI one of the changes is to go back to the Mil1 choil.

Yes, the "minimal" Millie 1 choil is great - and that you with your as I know large hands and thick fingers says this means something (and I don´t have small hands either)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doc Dan wrote:

I think the Millie 2 will be a better and stronger knife with the compression lock.
Have you held a Military 2 in hand yet? The full size choil feels much improved and really highlights how undersized the choil on the Military Model is.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:14 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Have you held a Military 2 in hand yet? The full size choil feels much improved and really highlights how undersized the choil on the Military Model is.

Since I chimed in on this too:

Admittedly I haven't held a Millie 2, but I know both PM2 choil and Millie 1 choil well - and clearly prefer the latter, not "undersized" for my not small fingers, and Doc actually has stated several times that he has particularily thick fingers..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:24 am
Mushroom wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Admittedly I haven't held a Millie 2, but I know both PM2 choil and Millie 1 choil well - and clearly prefer the latter, not "undersized" for my not small fingers, and Doc actually has stated several times that he has particularily thick fingers..
:thinking

The good part about Spyderco now putting a full size choil on the Military 2 is that anyone who prefers the undersized choil can easily modify the knife to make the choil smaller again. It is exactly how you view a sharpening notch. It’s easier for the end line user to make the finger choil smaller than it is to make it larger. So the better choice is to just make it full size from the factory and let the end line user decide if they want to make it smaller or not.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

brj wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:37 pm
That's an amazing group. I have 2 that I don't see in there, how many total variations have there been?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

BRJ...if that's every Military, that's a priceless collection! Good on you, great model to select for that kind of dedication :clapping-hands
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mushroom wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

I generally hate choils. The Millie 1 has the only choil I like.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:42 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

The good part about Spyderco now putting a full size choil on the Military 2 is that anyone who prefers the undersized choil can easily modify the knife to make the choil smaller again. It is exactly how you view a sharpening notch. It’s easier for the end line user to make the finger choil smaller than it is to make it larger. So the better choice is to just make it full size from the factory and let the end line user decide if they want to make it smaller or not.

I honestly don't unterstand what you mean by (it is easier) "to make a choil SMALLER" '- ?
How?

Also: It is not about the Millie 1 choil being "smaller" in length (the choils of Millie 1 and 2 might even be of the same length and the choil of the "1" could even have a slightly wider radius - though I don't know about both, would have to check at least in pics.

"Radius" is something people sometimes don't consider anyway when it comes to choils. The Stretch 1 for example has a rather short choil, but with a wide radius- actually great for thicker fingers).

What the Millie 1 choil offers, as far as I can see and definitely compared to a PM2 choil: An a bit taller handle (more "meat") and a flatter area under the forefinger when choking up. To me personally this feels better and offers more control in real use

I am sure though that statistically more people will prefer the more "standard" choil on the Millie 2, don't argue that!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:36 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I honestly don't unterstand what you mean by (it is easier) "to make a choil SMALLER" '- ?
How?
Reduce the length of the arc by modifying the scales. If someone has the know how and ability to add a sharpening notch to their blade, a scale modification like that is just as achievable.

Also, between the two models, the choils are not the same length but they do have the same radius. Except the Military 2 just has a full size choil now.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

How?
Reduce the length of the arc by modifying the scales. If someone has the know how and ability to add a sharpening notch to their blade, a scale modification like that is just as achievable.

Also, between the two models, the choils are not the same length but they do have the same radius. Except the Military 2 just has a full size choil now.

You have a point here if you are talking aftermaket scales

Otherwise:

- A choil very basically speaking is a cutout, so "removed material"

- Removing MORE material of course is easier than ADDING material = making a choil actually larger, longer, deeper... is easier than to make it "smaller" or shorter (one can it make LESS "deep" though of course by removing material on the scale side and technically also the blade side)
Much like with a sharpening choil, yes, but in the sense that it is also easier to put a notch in an edge than to remove it...
(if it makes sense to enlarge a choil diy is often debatable, but technically of course possible - in the blade AND in the handle - but "adding" material to handle or blade is pretty hard, unless one gets completely different scales...)

- Sure, one could work on the scales to create a smaller choil-radius: But this would still mean removing material and not really make the choil "smaller", but rather offer MORE space for the finger by tendency.

Just my 2c of course.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I had to pull out my Millie 1 to play with since we've been talking about them.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:18 am
I had to pull out my Millie 1 to play with since we've been talking about them.
Same here, carried one of mine today just for that reason.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:21 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

How?

You have a point here if you are talking aftermaket scales

Otherwise:

- A choil very basically speaking is a cutout, so "removed material"

- Removing MORE material of course is easier than ADDING material = making a choil actually larger, longer, deeper... is easier than to make it "smaller" or shorter (one can it make LESS "deep" though of course by removing material on the scale side and technically also the blade side)
Much like with a sharpening choil, yes, but in the sense that it is also easier to put a notch in an edge than to remove it...
(if it makes sense to enlarge a choil diy is often debatable, but technically of course possible - in the blade AND in the handle - but "adding" material to handle or blade is pretty hard, unless one gets completely different scales...)

- Sure, one could work on the scales to create a smaller choil-radius: But this would still mean removing material and not really make the choil "smaller", but rather offer MORE space for the finger by tendency.

Just my 2c of course.
I’m not talking about aftermarket scales. Removing material from the stock scales does not require aftermarket scales.

Honestly, I can’t tell what the point you’re trying to make is. You’re so focused on the semantics that I’m confused by what you’re trying to say. It kind of feels like disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I haven't held a Military2, and I doubt I ever will. Not much point, since I'm done with compression locks.

Nick, I am also confused by your statement that it is easier to make a choil smaller. One of us doesn't understand what a "choil" is. Not that I care either way.
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's interesting to me there's always more people lamenting the end of the Military 1 sprints than there are people posting Military 1 sprints in the daily carry thread. By a wide margin, too.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:42 am
Well, I haven't held a Military2, and I doubt I ever will. Not much point, since I'm done with compression locks.

Nick, I am also confused by your statement that it is easier to make a choil smaller. One of us doesn't understand what a "choil" is. Not that I care either way.
Yeah I’m just stupid. What is a choil?