Spyderco hunting folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
im25feetup

Re: Spyderco hunting folder

Post by im25feetup »

https://www.scheels.com/p/hunters-speci ... 9899161993

Butt-Out tool:
These work well for everyone that has tried them. Paired with an Enuff 2, you will be set. No pelvis separation needed. Clean, easy and fast.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

On the last two deer hunts I've been on I've had my trusty M390 MILITARY model with me. And I've never been disappointed using that model as a hunter/folder. But it's not the only Spyderco folder proven to be a great "hunter/folder".

A few years back I had the privilege of using one of my older Spyderco IMPALA model. If people are wanting a folder that was designed for that type of cutting job then I do believe that the Ed Scott IMPALA model should be up for Sprint Run consideration.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

The Stretch is the best blade shape for a folding hunting knife Spyderco makes imo. But when taking a deer down to quarters, I like 2 knives and a saw. One knife about the size of the Stretch (skinning, cartilage, large cuts) and the other about the size of the Delica for tight inside work (like a paring knife). The Native 5 is a little too large (blade is too wide or deep). I prefer a smaller blade. I used a hacksaw blade and it worked just fine. But I did not require portability. TBH, I have used a Delica (ATS-55) to take apart a deer before, but the Stretch is better.

When quartering, the only place a saw is really needed is to cut the spine at the neck. The cuts at the knee joints can be done via twisting, then cutting the cartilage with your Stretch cutting around the outside to the inside until the whole thing is sliced off. The hips and shoulders don't require a saw either.

So a basic tough steel like LC200N or AEB-L in a saw knife would work pretty well in a folding saw knife. I would guess 3.5-4" would be sufficient. I would think FRN handles with steel liners because it needs to be non-slippery, but also have some heft and grip to it. Having a good cradle for your hand would also be important because you are moving it back and forth. So you would need both a good front finger guard as well as a good back pinky guard on the butt end.

Combine that with a Stretch (please offer some other steels, even S35VN if nothing else, but Magnacut would be better) and a Delica (several viable steel options), then you have what you need.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2