Calypso Jr Sprint Run Considerations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What combo would you like to see?

SPY27/Cobalt Blue FRN
19%
CRUWEAR/Gray FRN
13%
ZDP/British Racing Green FRN
8%
HAP40/Forest Green FRN
13%
K390/Blue FRN
13%
VG-10/Ivory FRN
5%
LC200N/Salt Green FRN
8%
Other (Please Specify Your Preference Below)
3%
Satin/Stonewash Clip
11%
Black Clip
8%

Total votes: 189

Wartstein

Re: Calypso Jr Sprint Run Considerations

Post by Wartstein »

Meadowlark wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:27 pm
I personally don’t want ANY changes made to it. Keep the sharpening notch, no jimping or any other thing that would make it a cousin vs a sibling to all the others.
Absolutely; the effort made to resurrect this particular Calypso family member should be purely done.
To the folks who want to see the sharpening notch:

I do respect your wish for staying as close to the original as possible, but a sharpening notch is really easy to add if desired, but can't really be removed without changing the blade a lot.

So NO notch actually means ALL can get what they like, right?

And besides being a reiteration of the original a Spydie is meant to be used, and folks like me just find a blade even more usable without a "snagging area" or "chip" at the heel of the edge....(while others have their valid reasons to want a notch, but those can add one anyway)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:44 am
Meadowlark wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
I personally don’t want ANY changes made to it. Keep the sharpening notch, no jimping or any other thing that would make it a cousin vs a sibling to all the others.
Absolutely; the effort made to resurrect this particular Calypso family member should be purely done.

I do respect your wish for staying as close to the original as possible, but a sharpening notch is really easy to add if desired, but can't really be removed without changing the blade a lot.

And besides being a reiteration of the original a Spydie is meant to be used, and folks like me just find a blade even more usable without a "snagging area" or "chip" at the heel of the edge....(while others have their valid reasons to want a notch, but those can add one anyway)
I think this sentence perfectly illustrates why the changes have been proposed. The only reason to leave it as is (pinned construction, sharpening notch, etc.) is for collector's value/OCD of consistency. If you read much of the discontent with past iterations of the Caly Jr, it was from the user's perspective.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I guess people that see no reason to change the design don’t have valid user perspectives.
I’ve been using my jr. For almost a year now. Never had troubles with it being pinned, tip down, or having the Sharpening notch
:bug-red-white
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

This poll is missing an option for "None" - like others that have spoken up, I'm definitely not interested in a new Caly Jr. sprint.
--Jeremy
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

weeping minora wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:47 am
The only reason to leave it as is (pinned construction, sharpening notch, etc.) is for collector's value/OCD of consistency.
I am not a fan of sharpening notches and would like to see that change.

I think the primary reason for not changing from pinned to screw construction is that the molds are not designed to accommodate screw construction, so it likely wouldn't be possible without an expensive mold redesign, which just leads to a higher cost.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

weeping minora wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Meadowlark wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

I think this sentence perfectly illustrates why the changes have been proposed. The only reason to leave it as is (pinned construction, sharpening notch, etc.) is for collector's value/OCD of consistency. If you read much of the discontent with past iterations of the Caly Jr, it was from the user's perspective.

All my knives are users; I have used and continue to use my zdp Caly Jr quite a bit. I don't understand how my indifference to some of the original design features that others consider design weaknesses discounts my appreciation and opinion of a knife that I, too, use.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Meadowlark wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

Subsequent Calypso/Caly family members may well have improved the line but each iteration, especially the Caly Jr, deserves a sprint as designed but with the requisite steel and/or handle variations.

The Caly Jr. is - in my opinion - one of Sal's most consequential designs and any possible sprint run deserves the DNA that defines the model.

Keep the Caly Jr the Caly Jr.
Totally agree ! The Calypso jr. is perfect as it is. I like everything about it but I wouldn’t mind an adjustable pivot. That’s all.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

jabba359 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:45 pm
weeping minora wrote:
The only reason to leave it as is (pinned construction, sharpening notch, etc.) is for collector's value/OCD of consistency.
I am not a fan of sharpening notches and would like to see that change.

I think the primary reason for not changing from pinned to screw construction is that the molds are not designed to accommodate screw construction, so it likely wouldn't be possible without an expensive mold redesign, which just leads to a higher cost.
I asked sal previously in this thread if screw construction would require a re-mold and got no direct response. I took sal's later comment about a list of changes to pitch to the maker, which included screw construction, to more-or-less confirm that screw construction would not require a re-mold of the FRN. I am open for correction, however.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Meadowlark wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:03 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Meadowlark wrote:

All my knives are users; I have used and continue to use my zdp Caly Jr quite a bit. I don't understand how my indifference to some of the original design features that others consider design weaknesses discounts my appreciation and opinion of a knife that I, too, use.
My comment was not made to offend, and I don't see where I've questioned anyone's appreciation for the model? There have been documented issues with past runs of the Caly Jr that could definitely use addressing for future runs. I don't see where anyone has asked for the knife to become anything more than the Caly Jr. I'm actually baffled to see the prospect of CQI become such a fervently debated topic on a knife that's 27 years old.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

OK, to play Devil’s advocate here, the ultimate CQI version of the Calypso Jr. hopefully exists as the up and coming FRN Caly, which comes complete with all these requested updates. Don’t fix what isn’t really broke…
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
scoon

Post by scoon »

How about a super blue and grey handle?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Meadowlark wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:03 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Meadowlark wrote:

@Meadowlark: I know you were not replying to me directly.

But to be clear once more: I was solely talking about the sharpening notch - a feature, that everyone who wants it, still easily can add themselves, while those who don´t want it, could not easily or not at all remove it without changing the blade a lot.

The latter group (which I belong to) just finds a notch an unnecessary snagging point and "chip" in use.

So why not by NO notch actually give both groups of definitely users what they want? (Since a notch can be added anyway no problem)?

/ To be honest though: Thinking about it this is also largely true for screw construction, and I say this as one who never had any problem with his pinned REX45 Manix LW.

But, if possible with the existing molds: Why not make the knife actually more userfriendly by giving it screws? So that it can be serviced and cleaned more easily, should need be (I HAD grit and sand in folders that were a lot easier to clean out by being able to disassemble a knife, especially one with closed back).
Only advantage of pins I can see: They can´t come loose and get lost in the way scews potentially can.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:09 pm
OK, to play Devil’s advocate here, the ultimate CQI version of the Calypso Jr. hopefully exists as the up and coming FRN Caly, which comes complete with all these requested updates. Don’t fix what isn’t really broke…

Just by looking (!! never actually tried either one!!) at Caly 3 (closer in size than the 3.5) and the Calypso junior, they do have different qualities in areas important to me.

- First and foremost the choil area: Wider radiussed, "flatter" / less recessed choil on the Junior, that should put more "meat" under the forefinger. I much prefer this to deeper choils that make the handle thinner in the choil area. Actually the Junior choil style is probably the most appealing feature to me on this knife.

- "Less high" and perhaps less steep thumb ramp on the junior: Also more to my liking

- A bit "less leafy" blade on the Junior: More curve on the spine, LESS curve on the actual egde - so probably more "straight" edge section and potentially a bit lower sitting tip. Also what I personally like and prefer

- Clips: Junior only tip down, Caly 3 only tip up: Here I clearly prefer the latter.
Junior regular clip, Caly 3 deep carry wire: Here I clearly prefer the former

/ As for "don´t fix what isn´t broken" : As said in my post above: Just getting rid of the sharpening notch (a feature that one can add anyway, if they choose so) and making the knife more userfriendly and servicable by screw construction including pivot (if possible with the already existing molds!) would not change a lot in one sense (looks...), but "a lot" in another sense ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Yep, you would think that they should enjoy the upcoming “improved” Caly3 and leave our beloved good old Calypso jr unspoiled, with sharpening choil and all… but no ! They must be stopped with all cost 😬
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:45 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Yep, you would think that they should enjoy the upcoming “improved” Caly3 and leave our beloved good old Calypso jr unspoiled, with sharpening choil and all… but no ! They must be stopped with all cost 😬
Again: Pretty different knives in some aspects it seems.

And also again: Please explain why those who don't like sharpening choils should not get a Calypso Jr without one and those who want one just quickly add one themselves?
Why not make all/more folks happy when this can be done so easily? :thinking
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:47 pm
...More curve on the spine, LESS curve on the actual egde - so probably more "straight" edge section and potentially a bit lower sitting tip. Also what I personally like and prefer...

Agree. The blade shape of the Caly Jr makes it excel at a wide range of work...not quite a straight edge, but not very curved, either...and a good piercing tip, without being fragile. I find it to be perhaps the most useful all-around blade shape in my collection of Spydercos, and is one of the reasons it often accompanies me to work.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:14 pm
Please explain why those who don't like sharpening choils should not get a Calypso Jr without one and those who want one just quickly add one themselves?
On possibility is this: No everyone has the stones, literally or figuratively, to make the changes. Even though I have the triangle rods, which might do it, I'm not sure I'm willing to make this kind of change to a blade. I'm not that adventurous yet.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TimButterfield wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:14 pm
Please explain why those who don't like sharpening choils should not get a Calypso Jr without one and those who want one just quickly add one themselves?
On possibility is this: No everyone has the stones, literally or figuratively, to make the changes. Even though I have the triangle rods, which might do it, I'm not sure I'm willing to make this kind of change to a blade. I'm not that adventurous yet.
All it takes is a small, round metal file (can be a really cheap one).
Not much that could go wrong, easier to create a notch with such a file than to for example sharpen the blade.

But, true, not everyone might have or be willing to purchase such a file.

I assume though that it is just a smaller percentage who really wants a sharpening notch from a practical point of view and out of that group just another small percentage would not be able or willing to create one themselves.
And just for that minority out of a minority (again, of course just assumingly) a notch from the factory would make some sense, but could not really be removed by the assumingly much larger "anti-snagging-point" group...
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

For those who disagree with any proposed changes to the model; does omitting the sharpening choil, including screw construction, adding jimping to the blade-hump, or asking for a higher quality final product honestly change the profile and usability of this knife, to make it something other than the Caly Jr? I could see if the proposed list included asking for a longer blade/handle, different lock, different blade grind or shape, etc. eliciting actual counter-offensive discussion. I'm genuinely trying to understand the utter disdain here for potential/proposed CQI.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:26 pm
Meadowlark wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
I personally don’t want ANY changes made to it.
Keep the Caly Jr the Caly Jr.
Totally agree ! The Calypso jr. is perfect as it is. I like everything about it but I wouldn’t mind an adjustable pivot. That’s all.
elena86 wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
So over the course of a 25 hour span between these posts, you "wouldn't mind" an adjustable pivot (screw construction), and then are in complete opposition to all change? What gives?

The wishy-washy comments from some involved in this discussion here is incredibly confusing. I understand there are those opposed to change, but at least leave the jestful remarks aside (if that's what they are) to remain comprehensible enough to give weight to your stance.