Yet another Pre Diver post

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
redneckpirate

Yet another Pre Diver post

Post by redneckpirate »

First time poster, I recently got this Pre Diver and was looking for any info on manufacturing date? Researching on here and elsewhere it seems like there are a few variations, so I just want to be sure of what I have! Part of me wants to really use and carry this thing, but I really wonder if I should just find a serrated Salt instead...
Attachments
20240125_211608.jpg
20240125_211532.jpg
Michael Janich

Re: Yet another Pre Diver post

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear redneckpirate:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Near as I can tell from Spydiwiki, it's a 2001 Pre-Diver. Not a lot of info available, but a pretty rare piece of Spyderco history. It was before H-1, so it will require some care to prevent rust if you choose to use it. I would suggest getting a Salt2 and using it instead.
redneckpirate

Post by redneckpirate »

I'll have to look into one. I also am intrigued by the orange Assist, so maybe I'll end up with multiple...
I'm not really a collector (that's a lie), but I am a user, so I might have to just relegate the Pre Diver to the sale pile.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Neat find. What's the purpose of the wire-stripper-like cut-out on the spine of the blade?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:16 pm
Neat find. What's the purpose of the wire-stripper-like cut-out on the spine of the blade?
It’s a fishing line cutter for easily gathering and cutting fishing line.
-Nick :bug-red
redneckpirate

Post by redneckpirate »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:57 am
Near as I can tell from Spydiwiki, it's a 2001 Pre-Diver. Not a lot of info available, but a pretty rare piece of Spyderco history. It was before H-1, so it will require some care to prevent rust if you choose to use it. I would suggest getting a Salt2 and using it instead.
Thanks for the info, I'm more of a user than a collector, so I guess this one will be going into the sell pile. A Salt would be nice, but then I also really like the orange Assist! So maybe I'll end up with both? They keep multiplying
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

No reason not to carry it. But the whole Mariner/Diver line is a bit odd for wet conditions. Slippery and of course modern Salt steels have a corrosion advantage.