How many Spyderco Knives did you buy in 2023?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How many Spyderco Knives did you buy in 2023?

None
10%
1-2
11%
3-4
11%
5-6
17%
7-8
10%
9-10
11%
11-12
2%
13-14
1%
15+
26%

Total votes: 89

aicolainen

Re: How many Spyderco Knives did you buy in 2023?

Post by aicolainen »

Ref. my previous post, where I may come off a little hard on myself, I should clarify there is very little regret concerning my 2023 acquisitions. Non really... it's just how the numbers keep adding up faster than I'm able to sell off that I don't like.

Stretch 1, Z-cut, Endura TRL and S2XL I've used a ton, absolutely great knives. The resilience lw is a dedicated car knife/backup folder stashed in my 4WD, so it doesn't see as much use as the others, but it's been working great. Perfect for that role.
I loved the SNK Military, but I felt kind of bad as there were more hardcore fans who missed out. Sold it to another forum user.
The Ayoob is just for collecting / display item and does very well as such

I think there's a place for the ARK.. haven't gotten around to making a sheath for it, so it's been sitting in the drawer ever since.

The Subway bowie was smaller than anticipated. I like small, but this may be too small even for me. I wouldn't have known without trying, so it's not a failure in that regard.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:28 am
buckleys wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:38 pm

...Spent 2023 trying to like the PM2 and Native 5, and it turns I do not lol....

:exploding-head ... that's a bold approach:
You actually bought 7 (!) PM2s and 3 Native 5s just for "trying to like" these models (and then you even did not..)?!

No critique, just a question: Why not just ONE of each model until you knew for sure if you'd like one or both - or not?
There were enough differences between the models to justify buying them IMO. Sometimes it's just a scale colour combination with steel. But even subtle things in the looks may sway things. For example one of the most common complaints I read and hear in videos reviews of the PM2 is how ugly it looks in terms of proportions, that it's visually 30% blade and 70% handle, and I agree. The wharncliffe actually extends out all the way instead of swooping up so it actually visually looks like 40% blade 60% handle, despite being the exact same length. The two PM2s I actually like the most were the cruwear and satin XHP wharny, and I would have kept them if I didn't have other knives that got constant pocket time over them. The tanto looks even shorter and stubbier than the standard blade visually (like 25% blade 75% handle), but it's still one of the most popular variants, and I just found that tanto blades are terrible for my personal EDC, wharnies the best. Even though I'm right-handed sometimes I pickup my knife with my left hand, and the compression lock just doesn't work at all with your left hand, there's no convenient way to close it with your left, while other right-hand biased locks like liner or frame are perfectly close-able left handed.

But also, I wasn't sure if I disliked coatings in general or on certain models, or FRN vs G10. Turns out I dislike coatings altogether. I loved the Native 5 Cruwear and smooth scales, but hated the coating, the satin one was sold 4-5 years ago and long gone. Native 5 FRN doesn't feel as nice and the backspacer molding lining up poorly has always irked me, while the G10 ones are always flush and perfectly smooth. Also do not like tool steels that discolour just by my finger prints touching them. If I cut a steak with them and don't wipe it? Fine by me. But M4 discolours just from my finger oils, Rex 45 disclours just from my finger oils, Cruwear doesn't so it's stainless as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway to cut the rambling short, the HH UKPK has all the things that I like: thin stock, G10 scales with completely flush and full metal backspacer, wire clip, long blade for it's overall length. It kind of feels like a Manix ergos wise, except it's 1.5cm less wide in the pocket, 2.5cm shorter in handle length, but only 0.4-0.5cm shorter in actual cutting edge, and the finger choil is actually slightly larger than the Manix. I still have 1 Manix 2 LW, 2 Shamans, and 1 Chappy FRN left from Spydercos I bought prior to 2023.

All these variants are different models indeed, as far as I'm concerned, especially if they're different blade shapes. And I always had a 3 in/at least 3 out policy of buying/selling knives, so that I don't have a huge pile sitting in a drawer.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Over 10 but all Mules

But may have picked up a Uptern with a ZDP189 mule on the second sale early 2023 (if it was 2023 or late 2022)

The years just go so quick :thinking
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

Just 8:

C145 Zulu
C63 Chinook 1
C105 Small Persian 2
C134 Bradley folder
C06 Tusk
C25S Centofante
C50 Centofante II
C191 JaniSong
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

buckleys wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
buckleys wrote:

...Spent 2023 trying to like the PM2 and Native 5, and it turns I do not lol....

You actually bought 7 (!) PM2s and 3 Native 5s just for "trying to like" these models (and then you even did not..)?!

No critique, just a question: Why not just ONE of each model until you knew for sure if you'd like one or both - or not?
There were enough differences between the models to justify buying them IMO. Sometimes it's just a scale colour combination with steel. But even subtle things in the looks may sway things. For example one of the most common complaints I read and hear in videos reviews of the PM2 is how ugly it looks in terms of proportions, that it's visually 30% blade and 70% handle, and I agree. The wharncliffe actually extends out all the way instead of swooping up so it actually visually looks like 40% blade 60% handle, despite being the exact same length. The two PM2s I actually like the most were the cruwear and satin XHP wharny, and I would have kept them if I didn't have other knives that got constant pocket time over them. The tanto looks even shorter and stubbier than the standard blade visually (like 25% blade 75% handle), but it's still one of the most popular variants, and I just found that tanto blades are terrible for my personal EDC, wharnies the best. Even though I'm right-handed sometimes I pickup my knife with my left hand, and the compression lock just doesn't work at all with your left hand, there's no convenient way to close it with your left, while other right-hand biased locks like liner or frame are perfectly close-able left handed.

But also, I wasn't sure if I disliked coatings in general or on certain models, or FRN vs G10. Turns out I dislike coatings altogether. I loved the Native 5 Cruwear and smooth scales, but hated the coating, the satin one was sold 4-5 years ago and long gone. Native 5 FRN doesn't feel as nice and the backspacer molding lining up poorly has always irked me, while the G10 ones are always flush and perfectly smooth. Also do not like tool steels that discolour just by my finger prints touching them. If I cut a steak with them and don't wipe it? Fine by me. But M4 discolours just from my finger oils, Rex 45 disclours just from my finger oils, Cruwear doesn't so it's stainless as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway to cut the rambling short, the HH UKPK has all the things that I like: thin stock, G10 scales with completely flush and full metal backspacer, wire clip, long blade for it's overall length. It kind of feels like a Manix ergos wise, except it's 1.5cm less wide in the pocket, 2.5cm shorter in handle length, but only 0.4-0.5cm shorter in actual cutting edge, and the finger choil is actually slightly larger than the Manix. I still have 1 Manix 2 LW, 2 Shamans, and 1 Chappy FRN left from Spydercos I bought prior to 2023.

All these variants are different models indeed, as far as I'm concerned, especially if they're different blade shapes. And I always had a 3 in/at least 3 out policy of buying/selling knives, so that I don't have a huge pile sitting in a drawer.
Where do you sell these knives?
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Had to check my spreadsheet.. 7 Spydercos in 2023. More than I would have guessed without looking, but significantly fewer than in years past..

I think the biggest reason for the decrease in 2023 is that I've been into knives for long enough that I no longer feel the need to "buy every new knife".. I've already acquired most of the ones I'm truly interested in at this point. Also.. the longer I accumulate knives, the more I become a "new model" guy.. trying out a new model excites me so much more than having to have the latest and greatest steel-du-jour/scale color combo. Seems to me, Spyderco placed less emphasis on new models in 2023 vs new steels (15V everything!! - I'm glad they exist for people who are into the steels, but rehashing existing models in a new steel doesn't really move the needle for me haha), thus my Spyderco-buying decreased..

My knife buying in general decreased in 2023 vs 2022, but most of it was dedicated to other knife brands, which is not something that has been the case for me historically.. Spyderco is usually my #1 year-to-year. I still can't pass up a deal though.. 5 of the 7 Spydercos I bought in 2023 were deeply discounted and the other two were dealer exclusives in new-to-me models..

Rescue 3 (deep discount from M&D Tactical)
DLT Exclusive Cruwear Endela
SNK Exclusive Goddard
Stainless Delica (MAP holiday)
Manbug Salt (MAP holiday)
SpyOpera (MAP holiday)
Military 2 (MAP holiday)

2024 is already shaping up to be an exciting year for me though.. can't wait for the SpyMyto & Bodacious!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

I'm over 15, but a dozen of those were for the kitchen for the wife. Grabbed a few 2nds for gifts and stuff.
Already have 2 MT40 Mules coming this week so starting the new year off right.
Attachments
Resized_20230516_150259_1707517306084.jpeg
Holland

Post by Holland »

maple chaparral was the only one I bought this year
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:52 am
Ref. my previous post, where I may come off a little hard on myself, I should clarify there is very little regret concerning my 2023 acquisitions. Non really... it's just how the numbers keep adding up faster than I'm able to sell off that I don't like.

Stretch 1, Z-cut, Endura TRL and S2XL I've used a ton, absolutely great knives. The resilience lw is a dedicated car knife/backup folder stashed in my 4WD, so it doesn't see as much use as the others, but it's been working great. Perfect for that role.
I loved the SNK Military, but I felt kind of bad as there were more hardcore fans who missed out. Sold it to another forum user.

I think there's a place for the ARK.. haven't gotten around to making a sheath for it, so it's been sitting in the drawer ever since.

The Subway bowie was smaller than anticipated. I like small, but this may be too small even for me. I wouldn't have known without trying, so it's not a failure in that regard.
RE the Subway Bowie. It works better for me two beads on a lanyard. It makes the knife usable for me but makes it a bigger package.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:31 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:52 am

RE the Subway Bowie. It works better for me two beads on a lanyard. It makes the knife usable for me but makes it a bigger package.
Thanks for the tip. I’m not a fan of lanyard beads, but if it could potentially save our relationship I guess it might be worth a try.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

mreagan wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:36 pm
buckleys wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
buckleys wrote:

…he asked innocently.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

10% didn’t buy any
60% bought 1-10
30% bought 11+
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:42 pm
10% didn’t buy any
60% bought 1-10
30% bought 11+
I was in a terrible bind for 2023. No car so I could not even work, but that should be changing in 30 to 90 days. Selling a property to buy an auto to buy knives. Doh! It's a goofed up situation to be in, but, that is what is happening!

So far I have not missed any Native Chief Sprint Runs or limited releases so I'm good! :squinting-tongue
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

mreagan wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:36 pm
buckleys wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
buckleys wrote:

Usually local classifieds or reddit knife_swap