GP knives Manix exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RugerNurse

GP knives Manix exclusive

Post by RugerNurse »

Thoughts on this exclusive? It’s cheaper than the standard Manix I’m surprised it hasn’t sold out. How does Rex45 hold up in toughness?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
yablanowitz

Re: GP knives Manix exclusive

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been whittling some hard wood with a REX45 Native Chief and I've been very pleased with it. I don't know how it would stand up to being batoned through a car with a hammer, but it stands up well to my use.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:44 pm
Thoughts on this exclusive? It’s cheaper than the standard Manix I’m surprised it hasn’t sold out. How does Rex45 hold up in toughness?

This short vid by Shawn / BBB (Deadboxhero here on the forum) is for you: https://youtu.be/WOpu13O_OFE?si=4Db672oBZDwR5EST

In the vid REX 45 takes real abuse by torque cutting into brass rods without much damage, and is even better in that regard than M4, despite M4 is considered to be tougher (I think?) and even run a bit softer in that test than REX 45.

Mirrors my own, layman-average-Joe experience with REX 45 in my Manix: Really tough stuff, especially in relation to the no-slouch-edge-holding it also offers!
Actually my favorite PE steel.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:43 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:44 pm

This short vid by Shawn / BBB (Deadboxhero here on the forum) is for you: https://youtu.be/WOpu13O_OFE?si=4Db672oBZDwR5EST

In the vid REX 45 takes real abuse by torque cutting into brass rods without much damage, and is even better in that regard than M4, despite M4 is considered to be tougher (I think?) and even run a bit softer in that test than REX 45.

Mirrors my own, layman-average-Joe experience with REX 45 in my Manix: Really tough stuff, especially in relation to the no-slouch-edge-holding it also offers!
Actually my favorite PE steel.
I just found that video by accident today also haha good stuff. The price is so good on this exclusive I don’t want to miss it but also want to wait and see what surprises wait for this year from Spyderco
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

IMO for the price a LW Manix is impossible to beat. So much knife for the money.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Yeah, I couldn't believe how well it held up whittling brass. Shawn was really torquing it. Sounded awful. Amazing edge stability. And at cheaper than the standard bd1n, a great deal. Not that's there's anything wrong with bd1n. You can easily writ dye it if you don't like the white too (yay screw construction).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:43 pm
Yeah, I couldn't believe how well it held up whittling brass. Shawn was really torquing it. Sounded awful. Amazing edge stability. And at cheaper than the standard bd1n, a great deal. Not that's there's anything wrong with bd1n. You can easily writ dye it if you don't like the white too (yay screw construction).

Yes, a great deal indeed.

Can´t recall how much exactly my burnt orange uncoated Manix 2 LW in REX 45 was, but to me it is even more a great deal, since I prefer when tool steels can show patina and also love the handle color.
That it is pinned never was an issue to me by any means (while I think screw together construction generally is an improvement, on my particular pinned Manix I somewhat even like that there are almost not screws that could get loose and lost... ;) )

I carry it quite a bit, and when I am at home and have a folder job to do that does not require an extra long edge, it is very often that I reach for that Manix among all the Spydies I own. Great work knife, great "work" steel!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:21 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:43 pm

Yes, a great deal indeed.

Can´t recall how much exactly my burnt orange uncoated Manix 2 LW in REX 45 was, but to me it is even more a great deal, since I prefer when tool steels can show patina and also love the handle color.
That it is pinned never was an issue to me by any means (while I think screw together construction generally is an improvement, on my particular pinned Manix I somewhat even like that there are almost not screws that could get loose and lost... ;) )

I carry it quite a bit, and when I am at home and have a folder job to do that does not require an extra long edge, it is very often that I reach for that Manix among all the Spydies I own. Great work knife, great "work" steel!
Yeah, I've never had issues with my pinned manix, no blade play and the action is actually better on my frcp manix than my g10. I think if I were to dye the scales I would prefer the ability to take it apart as to not to soak the Rex though.

GP also has an uncoated version available for folks who prefer patina over dlc. That's the version I would likely get. That a lot of knife for $130.

https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-manix ... 1pwh2.html
XjJunky

Post by XjJunky »

Bought both and they are excellent for the price. The coated blade is great but I love the satin blade for the patina. My satin blade has been a dedicated apple and orange cutting knife for the time being. Once I get the (naturally forced) patina I want it will be a frequent carry knife. Still on the factory edge and still sharp. Ordered it the day it released, so about a month and half in and the patina is coming along great. Definitely can't go wrong for the money.
:usflag Living Till The Death Of Me :bug-red-white
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I just got a MagnaCut Manix LW a few weeks ago, but still tempted to get this one.

Has KJ ever done a green CruWear Manix like their recent Para 3 except satin. That would be hard to resist.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

XjJunky wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:40 pm
...the (naturally forced) patina ...

Naturally forced! Excellent. Like fresh frozen, conservative democrat, firm estimate, and strangely familiar. Love it.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm
I just got a MagnaCut Manix LW a few weeks ago, but still tempted to get this one.

Has KJ ever done a green CruWear Manix like their recent Para 3 except satin. That would be hard to resist.
How do you like the magnacut one? It’s on my radar too. So many knives so little cash lol
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:20 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm

How do you like the magnacut one? It’s on my radar too. So many knives so little cash lol
So far it’s been great, the Manix LW platform as always is awesome. The steel has a great edge to it and has not needed sharpening yet so I can’t comment on MagnaCut too much.

My issue is that I am starting to get too many knives and just can’t use them all. For most normal people one or two Spyderco’s could last them a lifetime. I now have ten in rotation…
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

I have the DLC coated version and it is one of my favorite folders. I also have the MagnaCut Salt version, but at home the Rex45 is the one that gets the most use between the two. Of all the Spydercos I've put in my hands so far, the only knife I could say I prefer to the Manix 2 LW is the Native 5. Very much looking forward to AWT getting some Manix 2 LW scales on the market.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I might grab this one for a work knife. Waiting for some other models to drop in magnacut before I try that steel. I’ve always appreciated the finger guard when you choke back on the Manix and it has a nice strong lock.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Mine comes in tomorrow 🕺

This is gonna be my first Rex 45. I’m excited about that much since I’ve been watching people crow about Rex 45 for years on end. Plus, the price was just really, really good. Sometimes I look back at what I paid for something like this after the secondary market goes nuts and get a good laugh. If memory serves me right, I got my first Z-Wear Shaman under $200 after points and all that fun stuff.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

What about K390 vs Rex for edge stability? Or are they pretty close
Erich

Post by Erich »

RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:20 pm
What about K390 vs Rex for edge stability? Or are they pretty close
Negligible.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Then I wonder about getting the salt model. Should be plenty though and it’s more corrosion resistant
Spyderfreek

Post by Spyderfreek »

My experience is it falls somewhere between M4 and k390, it has significantly more edge strength than M4. It also takes a screaming fine edge. Feels like Maxamet on diamond plates, very glassy.