Shot Show recap, thoughts, things I learned

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderwebs

Shot Show recap, thoughts, things I learned

Post by Spyderwebs »

I fondled essentially every spyderco I have ever considered (and more) at the Shot Show. Probably 30 or more models, and had a surprising revelation.

Frame Locks
- I thought I hated liner locks and frame locks, but I stumbled into a long conversation/showing with Shawn and a random guy at SS. I learned I only like about 50% of frame locks, and the deciding factor was 1. How hard is the detente (softer=better), 2. how accessible is the lock bar release (easier access/larger cutout=better) 3. how smooth is the opening? the Spymyto was buttery smooth. I didnt expect to like any FL's, but fell in love with the Spymyto and the Stovepipe. Both have been added to my list to acquire which was unthinkable a week ago. (But didnt like the Techno or another model I forget, so it was about 50/50 and I cant tell if I like it without holding and flicking one)

Liner Locks - Similarly, I hate liner locks (i generally dislike any locks in the blade-closing path), but Shawn had a really interesting prototype skinning knife. Small, like 2.5" blade, big belly, thin, but the main thing was the spydie hole was essentially inside the scale when closed. This lead to a large cutout in the scale that functioned for both spydie hole access, and easy access to the liner lock release. Although I cant say I had an epiphany with LL's like I did with frame locks, I can now say I would consider a knife with one if everything comes together perfectly, which is primarily a larger-than-average lock release cutout. (Its still my least favorite lock but went from Never-ever-buy to When-the-stars-align).

Other takeaways from handling 40 of my choicest spydercos -
-Spymyto. This knife is classy. I love the rounded spine and spydie hole! This should be standard on all Gentlemen folders! Many Ti framed models are too heavy for my liking, but the 1 Ti / 1 Micarta scale really balance it nicely! The action was great. Really a cool knife

Stovepipe - I always kinda liked the look of it, but after holding it I strangely like it a lot. It goes against almost everything I like in my knives, but none the less it won me over with excellent ergonomics, great looks, and a very nice flick. Now I just need to find a used one for cheap! (pricey is its only downside)

Native Chief linerless G10 is awesome. It had the best feel of all the NC models. the salts were ok too, but the linerless G10 just felt great in the hand. This is on my list now.

Kapara. Wow, I love this knife. Thin slicey blade, nice gentle belly for food prep. The reason i havent already bought it is I read some reviews that it was tricky to close due to how thin the handle is, which is slightly true. But in general it felt like a normal Comp lock and I have no reservations now based on the way I naturally close a comp. I was able to unintentionally recreate the almost-finger-cutting scenario where by a fat pointer finger can almost touch the blade when closing. On a PM2, I can recreate this same contact but the forward finger choil is unsharpened so it doesn't matter. On the Kapara, the blade is directly under the comp lock, so if you really stuffed your finger into the lock and flicked the blade closed hard, I can see an unlikely scenario whereby you knick your finger on the closed blade. (Try closing a PM2 and notice the finger contact on the choil for a comparison). Regardless, its a Buy for me.

Emerson wave opener. The first draw I immediately liked the wave. This is a goofy feature that I didnt understand until I drew it. Also the Emerson opener means the blade is less leaf shaped and more dagger-y. I really like the lower profile blade because the taller leaf shapes (like Manix or any Seki Wharnie) are massive pocket hogs to the point I dont carry them much. The less-tall blade is noticeably more pocket friendly. Also the Enudra I held had a sabre grind that substantially changes the weight distribution of the blade, adding a lot of material towards the tip relative to a normal FFG blade.

Canis - I like wharnies and liked the canis a lot, but the thick-handle/tall Wharnie blade make it a pass for now because its as bad as a pocket hog as the manix which means it wont get carried much by me. I like everything about it except the carry profile. Its a chonky boi. we really need another low-profile wharnie like the Centofante 4! Bring that back asap!

15v I was talking to BBB Shawn for 20 minutes before I realized who he was and hes such a cool guy (Im just terrible with faces, lol). I asked how he optimized 15v considering he has no special metalurgy background (other than practical experience as a knifemaker). He said it was mostly trial and error of many, many HT/Temper combos until he found a desirable combination. Talk about a labor of love sharpening loads of 15v!
I also hear there is a lot more 15v in the future, which I am stoked for! 15v has been one of my favorite extreme steels and takes such a laser edge.

Overall the Spyderco team is such a great group. I am the least important person to visit their booth and they spent as much time as desired with me. Talked shop all day. Seem to really enjoy what they do and appreciative of the people who love their work.
Thanks to the Spyderco team for being super approachable, enjoying what you do, and making great knives!
RustyIron

Re: Shot Show recap, thoughts, things I learned

Post by RustyIron »

Sounds like you had a good time.
Thanks for the recap.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks for your thoughtful thoughts. Sorta felt like I’d been there.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'll tolerate liner and frame locks if I like the knife... but I'm never going to like them.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Really nice writeup!

Liner and frame locks are my favorites. But I like backlocks and CBBLs too.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Awesome recap dude…really cool to hear someone else’s perspective 👊
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:21 pm

Frame Locks[/b] - I thought I hated liner locks and frame locks.....
Liner Locks - Similarly, I hate liner locks (i generally dislike any locks in the blade-closing path), .....
Kapara. Wow, I love this knife. .....

Thanks for somewhat "taking us with you" to Shot Show, cool insight! :smlling-eyes

- Always glad when folks give frame - and linerlocks a fair chance and look at those realistically.
A lot to like there!
Now that you came to appreciate those more: Perhaps you´d also like to try to take the perspective that not "in the BLADE closing path" is the important thing , but (not) "in the EDGE closing path" is relevant.
And suddenly you should realize how very safe liner - and frame locks are in that regard on folders with choil. While with any other lock you CAN mess up when disengaging the lock (your finger still CAN be in the path of the edge, you have to put it out of that path deliberately), with a choil knife and linerlock you literally CANNOT mess up. Disengaging the lock means the finger is in a position where only the choil can hit it, but not the edge. Or, vice versa, if it is in the path of the edge you can´t engage the lock in the first place.

- Yes, the Kapara is a great design!
Really liked mine, but in my personal (outdoor-) use it was a bit harder to operate the lock indeed and the scales very slick.
I´d love a Kapara with grippier scales (FRN, Micarta) and a better accesible comp.lock or, even better, a linerlock,
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I didn't realize BBB didn't have a metallurgy background. I really appreciate autodidactic folks carving out a niche. Makes me wonder why he brute-forced so much research on 15v in particular. Was it that 15v has unique properties in this regard, or was there a breakthrough in heat treatment more broadly? If we had an unending supply of materials, time, and researchers, I wonder what other steels could have hidden potential uncovered.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:31 pm
I'll tolerate liner and frame locks if I like the knife... but I'm never going to like them.

Ditto. I have made room in my heart for a Bradley Air (liner lock) and a Sage 2 (frame lock) but seldom carry either of them.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Just to comes to show how important seeing a knife in person is compared to just reading about them, and looking at videos

The Kapara is more what I expected the spydiechef to be. Feels quite at home as a good/snacks knife.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

Bwahahahaha!
I've had two left-handed liner locks in the past. One of them I still have. I'd actually carry it... if I was time traveling back to the 1990's when liner locks were a thing.

elena86

Post by elena86 »

The liner lock is my fav lock in general and Spyderco made liner locks are the best in the industry. No brainer construction, easy and intuitive to manipulate and strong enough for the average and right in the head user. Some models almost require a liner lock and yet they sport a comp lock. Kapara and Watu to name just a few. In my opinion the Sage1 is the best 3 incher edc in the Spyderco line and the Military ... you know...THE LEGEND. When it comes to the frame locks the superb KW exclusive CF/Ti Military, the Slysz Bowie and the Southard are are allready mithical, not to mention the highly sought after Sage2. That being said I pray for more liner locks and frame locks for those of us who appreciate their simplicity in use and reliability.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:05 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
[/font]
elena86 wrote: The liner lock is my fav lock in general and Spyderco made liner locks are the best in the industry. No brainer construction, easy and intuitive to manipulate and strong enough for the average and right in the head user. Some models almost require a liner lock and yet they sport a comp lock. Kapara and Watu to name just a few. In my opinion the Sage1 is the best 3 incher edc in the Spyderco line and the Military ... you know...THE LEGEND. When it comes to the frame locks the superb KW exclusive CF/Ti Military, the Slysz Bowie and the Southard are are allready mithical, not to mention the highly sought after Sage2. That being said I pray for more liner locks and frame locks for those of us who appreciate their simplicity in use and reliability.
100% agreed. Also and especially that the Kapara would actually get a substantial upgrade with a good linerlock imo.

It is a bit like with the momentarily ongoing Delica discussion:

Both the Delica and also linerlocks are of course not "outdated" by any means but great, timeless fundamental design concepts.

Locks that came later are "newer", but not necessarily "better" and "improvements", but offer alternatives that some will prefer.

What speaks for the linerlock is how "natural" and secure the knife remains in hand while operation of the lock as well as its completely idiotproof fingersafety on folders with choil while engaging the lock bar and its ingeniously simple construction .
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

The worst part about linerlocks for me are their (lack of) ergonomics. With the lock cut-out, the "hollow" provides a lack of confidence in grippage, for me. Contrarily, I've never had a problem with the compression lock, whilst I read/hear that it has been an issue for some. Never was much of a fan of the Gayle Bradley models to pick one up for their materials per asking price, though I could see that style of linerlock making my complaints/preferences a moot issue. Different knives for different lives.

Thanks for the write-up and share, Spyderwebs. I'm glad you had a great experience!
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
bthewilde

Post by bthewilde »

I too spent a sizeable amount of time at the Spyderco booth. Handled stuff I wanted, and thought I wanted, still want a salt rescue and a native for sure. With regards to everything coming out in H2, it was nice to have them tell me not to hurry out and replace all my H1 salts just because the metal got a little better.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thank you for the kind words.

It was nice meeting you and having an in-depth discussion about our favorite subject.

Spyderco knives!

Spyderwebs wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:21 pm
I fondled essentially every spyderco I have ever considered (and more) at the Shot Show. Probably 30 or more models, and had a surprising revelation.

Frame Locks
- I thought I hated liner locks and frame locks, but I stumbled into a long conversation/showing with Shawn and a random guy at SS. I learned I only like about 50% of frame locks, and the deciding factor was 1. How hard is the detente (softer=better), 2. how accessible is the lock bar release (easier access/larger cutout=better) 3. how smooth is the opening? the Spymyto was buttery smooth. I didnt expect to like any FL's, but fell in love with the Spymyto and the Stovepipe. Both have been added to my list to acquire which was unthinkable a week ago. (But didnt like the Techno or another model I forget, so it was about 50/50 and I cant tell if I like it without holding and flicking one)

Liner Locks - Similarly, I hate liner locks (i generally dislike any locks in the blade-closing path), but Shawn had a really interesting prototype skinning knife. Small, like 2.5" blade, big belly, thin, but the main thing was the spydie hole was essentially inside the scale when closed. This lead to a large cutout in the scale that functioned for both spydie hole access, and easy access to the liner lock release. Although I cant say I had an epiphany with LL's like I did with frame locks, I can now say I would consider a knife with one if everything comes together perfectly, which is primarily a larger-than-average lock release cutout. (Its still my least favorite lock but went from Never-ever-buy to When-the-stars-align).

Other takeaways from handling 40 of my choicest spydercos -
-Spymyto. This knife is classy. I love the rounded spine and spydie hole! This should be standard on all Gentlemen folders! Many Ti framed models are too heavy for my liking, but the 1 Ti / 1 Micarta scale really balance it nicely! The action was great. Really a cool knife

Stovepipe - I always kinda liked the look of it, but after holding it I strangely like it a lot. It goes against almost everything I like in my knives, but none the less it won me over with excellent ergonomics, great looks, and a very nice flick. Now I just need to find a used one for cheap! (pricey is its only downside)

Native Chief linerless G10 is awesome. It had the best feel of all the NC models. the salts were ok too, but the linerless G10 just felt great in the hand. This is on my list now.

Kapara. Wow, I love this knife. Thin slicey blade, nice gentle belly for food prep. The reason i havent already bought it is I read some reviews that it was tricky to close due to how thin the handle is, which is slightly true. But in general it felt like a normal Comp lock and I have no reservations now based on the way I naturally close a comp. I was able to unintentionally recreate the almost-finger-cutting scenario where by a fat pointer finger can almost touch the blade when closing. On a PM2, I can recreate this same contact but the forward finger choil is unsharpened so it doesn't matter. On the Kapara, the blade is directly under the comp lock, so if you really stuffed your finger into the lock and flicked the blade closed hard, I can see an unlikely scenario whereby you knick your finger on the closed blade. (Try closing a PM2 and notice the finger contact on the choil for a comparison). Regardless, its a Buy for me.

Emerson wave opener. The first draw I immediately liked the wave. This is a goofy feature that I didnt understand until I drew it. Also the Emerson opener means the blade is less leaf shaped and more dagger-y. I really like the lower profile blade because the taller leaf shapes (like Manix or any Seki Wharnie) are massive pocket hogs to the point I dont carry them much. The less-tall blade is noticeably more pocket friendly. Also the Enudra I held had a sabre grind that substantially changes the weight distribution of the blade, adding a lot of material towards the tip relative to a normal FFG blade.

Canis - I like wharnies and liked the canis a lot, but the thick-handle/tall Wharnie blade make it a pass for now because its as bad as a pocket hog as the manix which means it wont get carried much by me. I like everything about it except the carry profile. Its a chonky boi. we really need another low-profile wharnie like the Centofante 4! Bring that back asap!

15v I was talking to BBB Shawn for 20 minutes before I realized who he was and hes such a cool guy (Im just terrible with faces, lol). I asked how he optimized 15v considering he has no special metalurgy background (other than practical experience as a knifemaker). He said it was mostly trial and error of many, many HT/Temper combos until he found a desirable combination. Talk about a labor of love sharpening loads of 15v!
I also hear there is a lot more 15v in the future, which I am stoked for! 15v has been one of my favorite extreme steels and takes such a laser edge.

Overall the Spyderco team is such a great group. I am the least important person to visit their booth and they spent as much time as desired with me. Talked shop all day. Seem to really enjoy what they do and appreciative of the people who love their work.
Thanks to the Spyderco team for being super approachable, enjoying what you do, and making great knives!
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have owned frame locks and still own liner locks, I don't mind them at all. Manix 2 is a pocket hog but is overall my favorite model. Years ago I bought a PM2 because of the popularity and had to learn how to close it. I hold the knife between thumb tip and 3 fingertips with the point sticking out in front of me and the blade edge pointing down. Fingertips and thumb tip are on the scales, no flesh is beyond the edges of the scales. With first finger I activate the lock and let the blade fall a little bit, or however much it will fall. Then I use my first finger on the spine of the blade to close it. No flesh is in the path of the blade.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

I like the Ayoob partly for its large ricasso because the ricasso always hits your finger first and works as a natural finger stop, and a natural point to reorient and fully close.

I can see how that would work similarly on a Liner or Frame lock too. Although it eats edge length, I have decided I like a good ricasso most of the time on Back lock, LL, and FL. Compression doesnt benefit from one in the same way, although this same method works with a PM2 if you prefer closing that way
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:01 pm
It was nice meeting you and having an in-depth discussion about our favorite subject.
You as well Shawn!
SaintZvlkx

Post by SaintZvlkx »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:20 pm
100% agreed. Also and especially that the Kapara would actually get a substantial upgrade with a good linerlock imo.

What speaks for the linerlock is how "natural" and secure the knife remains in hand while operation of the lock as well as its completely idiotproof fingersafety on folders with choil while engaging the lock bar and its ingeniously simple construction .
Hard agree as well. After using knives in a somewhat professional capacity for a while I am very picky about ergonomics, especially when it comes to locking the knife with either hand & any place the knife can nick the hand that closes it. The Kapara is a really cool knife. But the compression lock make it harder and more cumbersome to operate than a well executed liner/frame lock. Drop shut action is kind of stressful if there's no finger stop or jimping and disengaging the lock requires repositioning the knife in hand.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:11 pm
I like the Ayoob partly for its large ricasso because the ricasso always hits your finger first and works as a natural finger stop, and a natural point to reorient and fully close.

I can see how that would work similarly on a Liner or Frame lock too. Although it eats edge length, I have decided I like a good ricasso most of the time on Back lock, LL, and FL. Compression doesnt benefit from one in the same way, although this same method works with a PM2 if you prefer closing that way
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:01 pm

If "finger safety" is a concern, a liner/frame lock on a folder with a good choil or ricasso is clearly even better than the backlock on the Ayoob or any other lock.

As said already: With a backlock, comp.lock, CBBL one still COULD potentially/accidentally put a finger in the path of the edge(!) (and so has to deliberately move all fingers out of the way) while pressing the lock, while with a linerlock (again, on a knife with choil!) you just cannot mess up.
Engaging the lock on a choiled linerlock knife is inevitably linked with putting your finger in a safe place where the choil has to hit it before the edge ever could hit any finger. So you literally cannot engage the lock without keeping the fingers safe.

I personally am actually NOT concerned with that finger safety thing anyway - all locks I know of are safe enough for me
But I find it sad that probably some folks, especially newbs, miss out on great linerlock knives with choil, cause they listen to the short sighted mantra-like "but finger is in the path of the blade", when it really is about if it is in the path of the edge.

/ Yes, I actually never use that to me a bit weird "pinch grip fingers out of the blade path" method to close comp.locks (knife sits not very secure in wet, cold hands then), but rather close a comp.lock with several other methods (like I would a liner- or backlock).
Works perfectly fine!
But IF extreme finger safety (especially linked with "security in hand while operating the lock") was a concern of mine: A linerlock PM2 would "beat" a comp.lock PM2, for the obvious reason described above