Sharpmaker Elite Edition

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If Spyderco made an adjustable angle sharp make base, would you buy it?

No
36%
Yes
44%
JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!
20%

Total votes: 90

TimButterfield

Re: Sharpmaker Elite Edition

Post by TimButterfield »

One possibility for an elite version is a modification to the existing version, using only holes on one side. The other side would be just the handle. It could have a knurled knob set in the center of the bottom between the two rod holes. That knob could then turn a rod with opposing screws. This should let the bottom of the sharpening rod guides move together/apart to adjust the angle. The rod guides/holders could pivot around a spot just below the existing top surface. An included Wixey angle guage could be zeroed on the top surface and then held on a rod to set the desired angle. A small lever next to the knob on the bottom could lock the angle in place. A small cutout window near the knob could allow seeing an indicator marker for approximate angle. It would look very similar to the existing SharpMaker. From the top, one side would have no holes and the other side would have slightly wider holes to allow the rod guides inside to pivot. As it only needs one side, this change could also be made to the Gauntlet. An opening in the end opposite the holes could be used to store the angle guage.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:27 am
I just find the Sharpmaker to be extremely limited. It's great as a "SharpKeeper" as it's been thrown around in the past. Certainly not something I'd want to use to put a new edge on though. Touch ups, yes...but even so you better hope your edge matches up to one of those 2 settings.
I think this is the key thing for me about the Sharpmaker. It's great for touching up edges that are still in good shape. But heaven help you if you try to fix someone else's kitchen knives after a decade of neglect...as I've recently been finding out :scream

I also don't find the brown stones at all helpful. So I now use a bench stone or recently acquired CBN rods for serious repair work. And the white stones for maintaining edges. The CBN rods are ok so far but definitely still require a bundle of patience and care.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

TimButterfield wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:22 am
One possibility for an elite version is a modification to the existing version, using only holes on one side. The other side would be just the handle. It could have a knurled knob set in the center of the bottom between the two rod holes. That knob could then turn a rod with opposing screws. This should let the bottom of the sharpening rod guides move together/apart to adjust the angle. The rod guides/holders could pivot around a spot just below the existing top surface. An included Wixey angle guage could be zeroed on the top surface and then held on a rod to set the desired angle. A small lever next to the knob on the bottom could lock the angle in place. A small cutout window near the knob could allow seeing an indicator marker for approximate angle. It would look very similar to the existing SharpMaker. From the top, one side would have no holes and the other side would have slightly wider holes to allow the rod guides inside to pivot. As it only needs one side, this change could also be made to the Gauntlet. An opening in the end opposite the holes could be used to store the angle guage.
Fascinating how we all think of unique designs! I like your idea a lot, although I don’t know if I could execute it myself. I had envisioned it completely differently but ending up with the same end result.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:41 am
Fascinating how we all think of unique designs! I like your idea a lot, although I don’t know if I could execute it myself. I had envisioned it completely differently but ending up with the same end result.
It's an enjoyable mental exercise. :rofl

I was trying to keep the closed height similar to what it is now. We know the existing unit has stable guides for the rods. But, to be adjustable, those need to be able to pivot to allow for the different angles. But, if the guides protrude above the top of the sharpener, it increases risk they may get bumped on the downward stroke of the knife, thus damaging the edge being sharpened. The knob doesn't need to be on the bottom or directly between the guides. It could be on the top. If you look at the bevel on the top with the words "USE SAFETY GUARDS", the knob could be in the middle of that. While having a locking lever is more secure, it may be sufficient to have a little tension on the knob to maintain an angle, just so it cannot jiggle one direction or the other. It is not likely sideways pressure on the rods will cause the screws to rotate and change angle. So, a threaded rod inside the case from the 'SAFETY' text would go through that knob and extend left and right with opposing screws in each direction. Those screws could move a small plate (mounted to a nut) that then attaches at some point below the pivot of the guide rod. Just like a lever length, the distance it is mounted below the pivot will control how fast the angle changes as the knob turns. Turning the knob would turn the screws, which would move the nut+plates, which would move the guides together/apart below the pivot.

If there is an issue with internal space, perhaps the unit could be expanded by a required percentage to allow the needed clearances inside.

What do you see as difficulties executing something like this? I just dream. I haven't tried to build it yet. :rofl
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

That is a design so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox!

I was thinking of simply cutting a centreline between the two rods, putting a hinge on the inside then jacking up the two ends so it narrows the V shape of the rods incrementally and using a protractor to check the inclusive angle. Et voila, as the French say (although I couldn’t tell you what it means 😉 Where’s Robin when you need him?!)
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Windward wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:01 pm
id honestly rather just see in "deluxe" sort of kit. the sharpmaker as is, works really well for me how i use it, but would be cool if when buying there was a kit that included a diamond/cbn and the ultrafine rods, maybe even some others.
Yeah a "Deluxe" grade kit is more of what I've had in mind too. Have an Ultimate kit with the CBN and Diamond rods included along with a couple of those Galley V rods for plain edged Hawkbills and other exotic blades.

Razor Edge Systems did that quite some time ago with their sharpening system and I think Spyderco would do well bundling it all up in one Deluxe Kit as you have described it. As far as more angle selection you really need to go ahead and get an advanced Sharpening System Like the Wicked Edge or Edge Pro if you need that type of versatility IMO.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Voted no.

For me, the current SM is a tool first for learning the principles of edge-maintenance, then for putting a micro-bevel on a well-formed edge.

The SM is pure genius for growing a market, but for me it’s a complement to freehanding on benchstones where an edge is to be well-formed AND where, with care (or much SM practice), a microbevel may be added.

I’d rather the SM not be complicated into something it was not meant to be. As it is, diamond and CBM rods are already pushing the SM far into the realms of fully-guided and freehand sharpening, perhaps too far.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Off topic...but perhaps of interest to some...

Congress Tools Inc. sells lots of triangular stones of various grits. I wanted a lower grit than the browns. I ordered 600 grit Aluminum Oxide in half-inch triangular for $20, and am happy with my set. They fit a scootch looser (but no problems--could "fix" with a single wrap of masking tape) and wear a bit faster than the OEM stones. I might order a pair of coarser grit Silicone Carbide stones from them, to further extend the range of my Sharpmaker.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

their silicone carbide stones cut fast but dish fast too, fyi. I tried some of their stones and they'll need flattening, unlike SM stones.
:unicorn
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Sal, perhaps with the upcoming 50th anniversary of the sharpmaker a special version can be made?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That’s a great idea Shawn!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

With a possible Big Brown Bear/Spyderco collaboration on the stones?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

dullmaker wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:00 am
As of 2024, nobody has figured out how to get the cost down for super vitrified diamond/cBN technology.

While it can be made, I don't think it would be in the price range people would like and they probably wouldn't understand what goes into it to create that high cost.

So other options would have to be looked into.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I made a rod holder that can clamp in a vise. It works well.

I guess I never uploaded my design but this one looks like it would work fine in a vise:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4070858
Last edited by zhyla on Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:05 am
dullmaker wrote:
As of 2024, nobody has figured out how to get the cost down for super vitrified diamond/cBN technology.

While it can be made, I don't think it would be in the price range people would like and they probably wouldn't understand what goes into it to create that high cost.

I would have not expected anything else. Plus while the rod system like the Sharpmaker does absolutely has its value and palce - it does not offer the full potential of a water (CBN/diamond or not) stone. So if one is willing and able to do the investment in a high quality diamond/CBN stone abrasive, there is going to be a preference for a more 'traditional' design.

But if you and Spyderco would consider a collaboration on a vitrified CBN/diamond based Double-Stuff type of a stone - now THAT would be cool. It would still probably cost somewhere around $200 if not even more, but it would be the ultimate sharpening tool for all these crazy steels Spyderco keeps bombarding us with :winking-tongue
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Matus wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:13 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:05 am
dullmaker wrote:

I would have not expected anything else. Plus while the rod system like the Sharpmaker does absolutely has its value and palce - it does not offer the full potential of a water (CBN/diamond or not) stone. So if one is willing and able to do the investment in a high quality diamond/CBN stone abrasive, there is going to be a preference for a more 'traditional' design.

But if you and Spyderco would consider a collaboration on a vitrified CBN/diamond based Double-Stuff type of a stone - now THAT would be cool. It would still probably cost somewhere around $200 if not even more, but it would be the ultimate sharpening tool for all these crazy steels Spyderco keeps bombarding us with :winking-tongue
Vitrified technology is not the solution for all the different formats of sharpening. We need to look at the trade offs each technology has for the specific format, not just chase the name of the technology.

The different formats are not universal. What works best for a benchstone will not work best for a fixed angle sharpener or a sharpmaker.

The use of water and excellent tactile feedback are extremely important for freehand benchstone sharpening especially in the kitchen knife world where there is an understanding of these different qualities.

That's not universal though for all audiences of the different formats.

So, not only do these formats all have different audiences, but there's also just different features to each format that require the different attributes from the available technologies.

Any supercharged, high performance abrasive upgrade for a sharpmaker does not need high tactile feedback since the angles are built in and needs the ability to be used dry without loading.

There are options with different bonding technologies each with trades offs and overlapping, but I'm still not sure if it fits within the typical budget range people expect from the sharpmaker.

But perhaps there is a solution, especially if it's a limited edition.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Matus

Post by Matus »

You reply is much appreciated, Shawn. I indeed did not consider all the details that come with it.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The Sharpmaker is my No. 1 go to sharpener all reprofiling and routine sharpening, yes, even in K390. Pretty sure my cbn stones are worn out. Would like a set of cbn rods completely impregnated with abrasive over the coated steel shapes though, they’d last longer. At today’s MAP though I probably wouldn’t buy the Sharpmaker. I was getting on happily with a selection of Arkansas stones freehand before I bought the SM. No need for an adjustable base. The only time 15/20 doesn’t work well enough is when sharpening a serrated edge. For that I use the 20-degree slot and prop the base on one of the brass rods to get close. Then it’s just a matter of holding your mouth right.
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

JoviAl-
You can always try rotating the base of the Sharpmaker. Someone years ago came up with a formula to get a specific angle, and I wrote a small computer program that you can run in your web browser that will tell you what angle is the base needed to be turned to get a specific angle.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Flash

Post by Flash »

The Sharpmaker was one of the first Spyderco products I bought. Tenacious - Squeak - Then Sharpmaker.

I have since passed it on but it taught me a lot about maintaining angle consistency. It’s a great simple system that could be improved on by offering more, possibly adjustable angle options, giving it more abrasive options and a more robust, weightier and premium feel for those with deeper pockets.

I have since owned a multitude of guided sharpeners at varying budgets, even made one myself to work with the plethora of 4 x 1 inch stones I had accumulated over the years, but The Sharpmaker was up until then the most hassle-free system.

So far the best method for me was learning to freehand on high quality (uninterrupted) diamond plates made by the likes of DMT and especially Atoma. It takes time, patience and a ton of practice to learn but is as hassle-free as you can get, and once you start getting results, very rewarding.