Delica 4 in 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Re: Delica 4 in 2024?

Post by Xformer »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:40 am
Xformer wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm
I've been waiting for a Delica 5 for a long time. S45VN as standard, less hardware etc.

Or let's dream : a liner lock Delica.

I do like linerlocks, and would find a variant of the Delica with that lock interesting, but generally:
Why? (Honest question)

The backlock works great on this model, right?
And I think if one kept the Delica as thin as it is (blade and handle) but gave it a linerlock, the lock up technically just could not be as strong as with the backlock - really not much lock interface possible for the linerlock with that thinnesses both in blade and handle?
The more time passes, the more I appreciate liner locks. I like the feeling and I think they suit folding pocket knife the best. Backlock are strong, but for a knife the size of the Delica I don't need a vault. A tri-ad lock on a recon 1 I can somewhat understand, but I don't personally need a backlock on a smallish knife.

Liner locks allow for a nice action, I like the click sound it produce, I like closing them with one hand... I don't trust cheap titanium framelock (say ZT or some chinese knives). The rat-2 though ? I trust it and I've been using mine for years. I also trust Civivi/Kubey liner locks. There is just something to them to me.

My own Military 1 is also a knife I love for its action and mechanism. It's a shame they never fully embraced the liner lock, because Spyderco really knows how to make a solid one. I just wish it wasn't that big of a knife.

Bonus : gut feeling but I think more and more people realize liner locks strikes a very good balance for a folding pocket knife (solidity/price/fidget factor). I see it as a big win tha The TRM Neutron, Civivi knives are such big success. I've also seen many reviewers favoring it nowadays (Metal complex is an example). So I'm glad.

I just wish Spyderco would offer more liner locks variants of their best sellers, when it can fit. A liner lock on a Delica would fit no doubt. It would be great on the PM2 too.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
Xformer wrote:
I've been waiting for a Delica 5 for a long time. S45VN as standard, less hardware etc.

Or let's dream : a liner lock Delica.

I do like linerlocks, and would find a variant of the Delica with that lock interesting, but generally:
Why? (Honest question)

The backlock works great on this model, right?
And I think if one kept the Delica as thin as it is (blade and handle) but gave it a linerlock, the lock up technically just could not be as strong as with the backlock - really not much lock interface possible for the linerlock with that thinnesses both in blade and handle?
The more time passes, the more I appreciate liner locks. I like the feeling and I think they suit folding pocket knife the best. Backlock are strong, but for a knife the size of the Delica I don't need a vault. A tri-ad lock on a recon 1 I can somewhat understand, but I don't personally need a backlock on a smallish knife.

Liner locks allow for a nice action, I like the click sound it produce, I like closing them with one hand... I don't trust cheap titanium framelock (say ZT or some chinese knives). The rat-2 though ? I trust it and I've been using mine for years. I also trust Civivi/Kubey liner locks. There is just something to them to me.

My own Military 1 is also a knife I love for its action and mechanism. It's a shame they never fully embraced the liner lock, because Spyderco really knows how to make a solid one. I just wish it wasn't that big of a knife.

Bonus : gut feeling but I think more and more people realize liner locks strikes a very good balance for a folding pocket knife (solidity/price/fidget factor). I see it as a big win tha The TRM Neutron, Civivi knives are such big success. I've also seen many reviewers favoring it nowadays (Metal complex is an example). So I'm glad.

I just wish Spyderco would offer more liner locks variants of their best sellers, when it can fit. A liner lock on a Delica would fit no doubt. It would be great on the PM2 too.
It's true that among my three Sages with Bolt Action lock, Compression lock, and Liner lock, I find that Sage 1 with the liner lock is the one I enjoy operating the most. It's just perfect for a knife of that size.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
Xformer wrote:
Stas wrote:

It's true that among my three Sages with Bolt Action lock, Compression lock, and Liner lock, I find that Sage 1 with the liner lock is the one I enjoy operating the most. It's just perfect for a knife of that size.

I actually do agree very much generally - linerlocks ARE great, they are the most convenient to use and at least on folders with choils a very finger safe solution.

I´ve also said it a lot already that I´d like to see more liner- and frame locks in mid to high end Spydies, generally, but also particularily instead of comp.locks: Yes, a linerlock PM2, linerlock Shaman, linerlock Caribbean would be a real upgrade for me personally.

Just on the Seki backlocks I still don´t wish for a change.
Overall for me the backlock is still the best, most versatile and safest lock (also concerning safety in the pocket) and I do use Delica and Salt pretty hard for a folder and think that perhaps when keeping the overall thinness of handle and especially blade a linerlock would have to little lock interface for that kind of use - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I look forward to the Delica and Endura serrated VG-10 models moving to FFG like the Endela. I don’t know why that hasn’t happened yet, but hope it happens in the future.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:31 pm
I look forward to the Delica and Endura serrated VG-10 models moving to FFG like the Endela. I don’t know why that hasn’t happened yet, but hope it happens in the future.

:up-index-finger :up-index-finger
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

And the police 4 LW…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Xformer,

You might want to take a closer look at the Polestar and Alcyone. Well made, Linerock, decent steel, inexpensive. I designed them originally to be smaller Military models for the Scouts.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:47 am
Hey Xformer,

You might want to take a closer look at the Polestar and Alcyone. Well made, Linerock, decent steel, inexpensive. I designed them originally to be smaller Military models for the Scouts.

sal

Makes me think of that Golden backlock Polestar... :smirk .. any news on that one, Sal?
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Yeah, I just can't really jump aboard on this one.

Sure, by most accounts, the Delica is a perfectly functional design. At the time it was designed, it was pretty much state of the art. But time goes on, and new innovations are made, and arguing against advancements that have come through innovation is just kind of weird. Why bother to come out with any new designs at all? Why bother to advance metallurgy for that matter either? So much of what I am hearing in this thread sounds much like the same things that people say about their traditional slip-joint patterns in 1095. That's not to disparage those, either, because they were (and still are) popular too. There's always room for preference, but if we're all just going to sit around and praise simplicity and adequacy as paramount, then why even carry folders at all? Just use a small fixed blade; you can't get much more simple and functional than that.

Let's be real about it. People liked the innovation of folding knives because it was convenient to open it up, fold it closed, put it in one's pocket without worrying about a sheath. People liked the innovation of locks on folding knives because it was convenient not to have to be super careful not to close the blade on one's finger. Then people really liked innovations in folding knives that allowed for one handed opening and closing because that was even more convenient.

What I really like about modern locks is being able to open and close a folder without having to contort your hand into unnatural positions, reorient the knife in different directions, and not needing to be careful about closing the blade on your fingers. I don't care how many people tell me how easy it is to close a back lock one-handed. I can do it, but I don't like doing it as much as one-handing a compression lock, cross-bar lock, button lock or ball bearing lock. Heck, I don't even like it as much as one handing a liner or frame lock. For me, it just feels awkward and clumsy. If that's not the case for you, awesome, but don't then pretend that the only reason I prefer those other locks is the fidget factor. Maybe I just don't have great dexterity? I don't know, but just because you can easily close a back-lock with one hand, doesn't mean everyone can.

That fidget factor stuff is what really bugs me about this discussion the most though. All this talk about people just wanting "flicky flicky" locks, or not actually using their knives, etc. is kind of unsavory in my opinion. First of all, it's really generalizing and insulting to insinuate that the only people who prioritize modern locking mechanics are YouTubers that just want to fidget with them. Secondly, what's wrong with that anyway? I don't criticize people who buy massive pickups when they never haul a single thing or sports cars to go pick up groceries, because people should be able to like what they like and appreciate the qualities of them. Telling a guy he shouldn't praise his ball-bearing lock because all he does is fidget with it is like telling someone they shouldn't enjoy the sound of their 500 horsepower engine and 3" mufflers unless they actually race the car.

It kind of seems like most of this is said in defense of the Delica, but there's too much talk about the users that prefer more modern lock designs in that. While I see plenty of people disparaging the Delica as if it were antiquated and obsolete, I don't really ever see people drawing conclusions about the people who prefer to use it. I think it's fair to defend the Delica, but let's all try to remember to judge these knives on their own merits, and not who we assume are their users.

Meanwhile, this is my EDC. Those sure aren't marks from fidgeting on the blade :winking-tongue

This is the only back-lock I ever carry. It's my "polite carry" that I take if I am going to be somewhere that people would freak out about a "tactical looking" knife. I can one hand open and close it, but not without some necessary finesse.

Here, see the difference for yourself

(My cat decided to make my laptop her bed and got her hair everywhere *sigh*)

So yeah, the Delica seems like a perfectly fine knife, but I just could never justify buying or carrying one now with so many options that better serve my needs and preferences. I suppose maybe if I had one early on and felt sentimental about it, I might carry it just for that reason, and there's nothing wrong with that. The only thing that has really even brought me even close to trying one is to try K390, but so far I haven't found a need for more toughness than 15V offers so I have held off. I wonder if I tried one if there was just something about having it in hand that would make it more desirable, but I don't really have any brick and mortar stores around me that carry Spydercos to try.
James Y

Post by James Y »

A good rule of thumb regarding knife designs:

Buy what you like, do with it what you like (as long as it's not dangerous to others or self), and don't buy what you don't want/don't like.

🙂

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:13 pm

Buy what you like, do with it what you like (as long as it's not dangerous to others or self), and don't buy what you don't want/don't like.

🙂

Jim
don't tell me how to live my life! :rofl

i used to have a supervisor that would say that to me when i told her to have a good evening, or to enjoy her lunch, etc.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:44 pm
James Y wrote:

🙂

Jim

i used to have a supervisor that would say that to me when i told her to have a good evening, or to enjoy her lunch, etc.

How to life your life!

😁

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

kennbr34 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:51 pm
but I just could never justify buying or carrying one now with so many options that better serve my needs and preferences.
this is the key right here. everyone has different needs and preferences. and sometimes their preferences aren't legal, so their needs have to take over. the manix is my favorite as well, but i bought a dragonfly when i worked in a building with strict policies on blade length. i prefer a locking blade, but when i traveled to germany, i couldn't carry any of my spydercos except my roadie because their law states that it can be one hand opening OR locking, but not both, and the roadie was the only spyderco i had that would be legal there. the ukpk would be my preference there, but i have no need for a knife like that in my collection otherwise. other places i've traveled have blade length laws, such as boston, where it's a 2.5" limit (iirc). if i wanted to carry something there that feels robust, but is legal, i'd probably go with a lil native. here in florida (mostly because of where i work now that the law has changed), i can't carry a small fixed blade like an izula concealed in my pocket, but i can carry a yojumbo with no issues.

the point is that there are all kinds of reasons to choose all kinds of knives. the delica is great for some people. my father-in-law likes a lot of my spydercos and has been considering getting a manix, but he's really content with the delica. some people are just perfectly happy with a simple design that gets the job done and doesn't have any frills or extra bulk. nothing wrong with that, and certainly there are plenty of people that agree or else the delica would've been gone long ago and spyderco wouldn't still be designing new, simple frn and vg10 backlocks.

and liking, or even prefering, the delica doesn't negate all the innovation and development. i find it humorous that you dislike people "disparaging" users that like "modern" locks, but at the same time seem to be judging those that like the delica as only liking it for "simplicity and adequacy" as if those are things that don't qualify for a good design, and as if they are turning their noses up at what you see as progress. (i see it as progress too, but i think it's a mistake to say these other locks are progress over the backlock, as opposed progress in a separate category, since each is equally valid as a design choice.)

anyway, it's possible to appreciate the classic fixed blade, the simple backlock, and the innovative cbbl and compression locks, and enjoy them all for more nuanced reasons than nostalgia, fidget-factor, or even functionality. like sal says, "all good, just different."

eta: i forgot to add that progress over the standard mid-backlock that spyderco uses would be something like the triad lock used by cold steel, but even calling that progress is kind of subjective, since a lot of people seem to hate it. if spyderco put triad locks in the seki line and/or the native line, i'd definitely want less cold steel knives, and we'd see an end of threads about lock rock altogether.
Last edited by ladybug93 on Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:56 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:44 pm
James Y wrote:

🙂

Jim

How to life your life!

😁

Jim
i guess you got me. :rofl
current collection:
spyderco steels:
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:35 pm
i find it humorous that you dislike people "disparaging" users that like "modern" locks, but at the same time seem to be judging those that like the delica as only liking it for "simplicity and adequacy" as if those are things that don't qualify for a good design, and as if they are turning their noses up at what you see as progress.
Nah it's not really the same. I'm generalizing about why they like it, since that's what I see often mentioned. A lot of people also mention the ergonomics as well.

But there's not any negative connotation intended by that, or ideas about why they prefer that. The disparaging remarks about people who prefer modern locks are those where someone insinuates that a person doesn't actually use the knife, that they just want to fidget with it, they're easily led by new trends, etc. Those kind of aspersions bug me, because it would be a bit like if I suggested people only like the Delica because they're stubborn and stuck in their ways or something. I kind of edged up to that line a little by suggesting that some people like it out of sentimentality or nostalgia, but I think the difference there is that there are a lot of people who claimed that is the case themselves, and I wasn't implying that was the true for the majority.

It's also probable that I'm reading way too much into comments about people just wanting to fidget with more modern locks 😆
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i fidget with my knives and take lots of photos of them because it's fun for me. i probably do both of those things more than i cut with my knives, but i do also use all of them. (oof... almost all of them. i haven't cut anything with my vallotton or nishijin stretch. they sit as art for now.)

i don't really care what people think about it. and it doesn't bother me that some people only take photos of their knives, or that some people trash their knives with abuse. i don't care as long as i can do what i want with mine.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennbr34 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:51 pm
Yeah, I just can't really jump aboard on this one.

Really appreciate your detailled thoughts - but without any offense meant I think you are somewhat "misreading" the thread - ? Let me list some points:

- You somehow equate "innovation" with "necessarily improvement" - when it actually is about offering alternatives

Sure, the principal design of a comp.lock or a finger choil are "innovations" over a backlock and a "ricasso style" - but only in the sense that the former are "newer", but not necessarily BETTER.
Not an improvenment for all, but "just" an alternative.
So a Delica and a Para 3 are two different fundamental design approaches, but not one is inherently "better" cause its "newer".
The innovations offer CHOICES and ALTERNATIVES - not an "improvement" for everyone. Person A might prefer the former, person B the latter.

You see where I am coming from? The Delica somehow represents a fundamental design approach that can only be made "better" in itself, not by changing fundamental aspects of it - and actually the Delica platform DID see a ton of innovation and IS very modern as such (Delica FOUR, you know...).

I personally (!!) for example happen to prefer most features of the fundamental Delica approach over the fundamental Para 3 approach: I want a thin blade, in that size of knife I want to get a full grip on the actual handle while still being rather close to the edge, I prefer the safety (also in pocket!), versatillty and ergos of a backlock, I prefer a thin carry, I much prefer the ergos of a Delica and I even prefer choking up on a ricasso over most dedicated choils (in this I AM definitely in a real minority).
The Delica gives me all that in a very refined, modern package!
And, no offense, but you seem to miss that those are really valid, good, real life reasons to prefer a Delica over most other small folders - for those who happen to LIKE those features.

I actually and really did try a Para 3 LW, a Native 5... but in that size range the Delica just undoubtedly and honestly works better for me.

Others, as valid as I with the "Delica approach" do prefer the "Para 3 approach" - and the "innovations" do give us choices.

- I think almost no one "pretends the reason for preferring other locks [over a backlock] is the figdet factor"

Just like laid out above, with "locks" it is the same: They are fundamental concepts, and the backlock is one of those and actually very "evolved" and innovated . They offer ALTERNATIVES for different preferences - for total newbs up to professional knife users.
I don´t think anyone said "only people who actually don´t use their knives" prefer the, as you call it, "modern" locks... ? Many super experienced folks here love a comp.lock, as well as many love a backlock.
A backlock is not "outdated" as such - it got refined and refined and is ONE of several great choices.
One might just prefer the safety in pocket it gives (strong self closing bias), or the ergos (not the kind of cutout a linerlock or comp.lock necessarily has) or the many methods one can choose from when closing it one handed.
Others, vice versa, might prefer what a comp.lock has to offer over a backlock.

I, for example, don´t like the method you obviously prefer with comp.lock and CBBL - it puts the knife in a (for me!!) a bit weird and unsecure pinch grip position in the hand (think of cold, wet, gloved" hands) and so I close these two locks pretty much like I´d close a backlock.

Most people have no issues at all in closing a backlock one handed, at least not with the "drop the ricasso/ choil on the forefinger" - method (one I almost never use), you, for your own valid reasons do and so its great that Spyderco uses ALTERNATIVES, and improvements for you - but not improvements necessarily for everyone.

I can actually close a backlock quicker one handed than I can a comp.lock (from "holding the knife in a cutting position" to "knife ready to be put in the pocket")

"Flicky flicky locks"

Again, the tone of this thread is really NOT that only the "flicky flicky" factor is what people might like in locks other than the backlock.
I personally even find the backlock very "flicky", I enjoy that it offers a tad more resistance than other locks.
I don´t "flick" my backlocks like fidget toys (though I am perfectly fine with folks who enjoy their knives also in that way), but I almost always flick them as an opening method. Works a bit better, quicker and safer for me personally and I don´t give a ... what others might think about that. MY knives, MY way of using and enjoying them.

So, conclusion

- The Delica imo IS a very modern and innvated version of a particular, fundamental design concept that obviously many enjoy - but others not so much, and so there are ALTERNATIVE concepts. Different, suiting some people better, but not inherently "better".

- This is NOT at all about stating that "people who actually use their knives must like the Delica concept and can´t prefer other concepts".
It IS about that a share of people who DO use their knives like the Delica and don´t find it "outdated".
But absolutely see that other design approaches, many of them coming after the Delica approach, are great too and might suit many people better.
It IS about people putting the Delica in a more realistic light as a contrast to the "it is outdated, just cause the basic idea/design is a bit older" - approach.

- I see this like for example in bycicles: There is a derailleur gear approach and an internal gear approach.
One will be "newer" (don´t know which), but none is inherently "better" than the other.
Different approaches for different preferences, and both get evolved all the time.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Well, I just want to thank everyone that contributed to this thread.

Imho, any real Spyderco fan knows the significance of the Delica design and I am really happy to see most of us agree and those that don't that's okay too.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:47 am
Hey Xformer,

sal
Hi Sal,

Thanks for the suggestion. Nice designs no doubt. Unfortunately, I'm an obsessive person and at that point I think even you know how obsessive I am about the PM2 and the Delica (I wrote to you about it quite a lot :P). Those and the Slysz of course. :winking-tongue
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Still eager to see the legend that has become the High Performance Delica. Here's to hoping its reveal sometime in 2024!
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.