If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Post by vivi »

I recently traded a forum member here for a 5.5" bladed pocket knife.

I've found that for a lot of things I use a pocket knife for, this size works better than the 3.5-4" blades I'd often carry instead.

One of the reasons he traded it was being unable to carry it legally.

So it got me thinking - would you guys carry a different sized knife if there were no blade length laws and no potential issues with public perception?

Or would you carry the same size you normally do?
:unicorn
Scandi Grind

Re: If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Post by Scandi Grind »

Yes, I would carry a fixed blade with a 4 inch blade virtually everywhere if that suited the general public better than it does. Most of the time I carry my Endura and my Izula in my pockets when I go out and don't know exactly where I'll be stopping, but if I'm going to the grocery store where I live, they don't mind my fixed blades a bit, so those do get carried sometimes when I leave the house for food.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
ladybug93

Re: If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Post by ladybug93 »

i enjoy large knives and can make them work for most tasks. i do think the 3-4" size is the most practical though. i know 3-4" is kind of a large range, but the delica is about as small as i'm willing to carry and feel like i've actually got a knife on me that's useful, and larger than 4" can get unwieldy in some tasks.

i would probably carry larger knives like my voyager tanto xl occasionally, but would most often keep larger knives like the rajah 2 in a backpack instead of my pockets, or just carry larger fixed blades on my belt.

i forgot where i was once and opened a 5.5" folder without thinking about it. all conversations stopped and all eyes went straight to the knife. fortunately, they were just shocked and not afraid. that's not the kind of attention i want, and i don't really need the extra size for anything in my day-to-day.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Absolutely. I would carry an autonomy in my pocket and a ~6inch fixed blade on my belt. I’m constantly having to compromise functionality with legality - it’s very frustrating.

@Vivi - well played on the new signature 👍🏻😂
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Vivi,

Great question.

sal
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

There are a few knives with 3.6" blades that I would carry sometimes if there were not a 3.5" blade length limit where I live. Otherwise, things would not change a whole lot as I tend to favor knives in the 3-3.5" range anyway.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Danke

Post by Danke »

I wouldn't drop anything but I would add switchblades and balis to the rotation.

Not worried about perception but they are classed as prohibited here so kinda big trouble if you get found out.
Last edited by Danke on Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Good question. I would carry the same knives. For a edc knife I rarely need a blade longer than my calypso. My jr. Can do like 98% of my edc cutting work, the calypso comes in handy with some bigger utility cutting and some larger food prep versatility. That said I’m still not afraid to carry my temperance in public. But folders are much more convenient and safer to store and retrieve most of the time
:bug-red-white
James Y

Post by James Y »

From the thread title, I thought it meant ANY knife if laws and public perceptions were different. In that case, I would have said a good balisong.

If we're only talking about a blade's length, then no, I would still carry 3" to 4"-bladed folders. I do own 5" and 6"-bladed folders, but when folders get that large, I'd rather carry a fixed blade.

Jim
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'd carry the same knives. Texas has reasonable knife laws, so they're no obstacle, but 4" is about the maximum blade length that's comfortable in my clothing. I usually carry 3-4". Automatics are legal, so that's also not a problem.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Yes, absolutely. I live in a jurisdiction with a 2.5” limit so most of what I own is not legal for street carry.

For around the house use I gravitate toward 3”-4” blades like
  • Endela
  • Endura
  • Police 4
  • Native Chief
Local laws being as they are I end up leaving the house with
  • Dragonfly 2
  • Lil’ Native
  • Urban
  • Meerkat
Laws seem to shape perception. With few people carrying any knife around me given the laws, I’ve still gotten looks and the occasional question when taking out a <2.5” folder for EDC tasks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If the laws were different I'd still carry a small knife in my pocket, but I would carry an Endura everywhere. Sadly, the laws are whatever the cops say they are, so it is best not to be seen with a knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:05 pm
So it got me thinking - would you guys carry a different sized knife if there were no blade length laws and no potential issues with public perception?

Ohhhhh... noooooo... I would nevvvvvver carry a knife that was forbidden by our benevolent leaders who lovingly care for our well being.

But seriously, I don't really give a flying... fig... about how some woke nincompoop might become triggered when I slice my sushi. If they find themselves with a case of the vapors, they're welcome to leave my presence until they regain their composure.

I find cutting my food with a fork to be distasteful, for the most part. Cutting food with a dull restaurant-style knife is equally unappealing. I'm discreet with my knife. It's improper to go waving around knives and guns in public. But if someone does notice what I'm doing, perhaps they'll see me as a guy who's dressed conservatively, who doesn't look like a gangster or a tweaker, cutting his steak with a pocket knife, and maybe consider the notion that normal people really CAN carry a knife to perform everyday tasks.

Sometime around the holidays I was eating something and using my pocketknife so I didn't have to gobble giant bites like a starving dog. A lady wrinkled her nose and snarled, "Ewww. Where's that knife been?" I informed her that my knives are probably better cared for and cleaner than those in her kitchen. She shut up and moved away, which was fine, because she's a bit of a snot on her best days.

So to answer your question, "Rusty carries what Rusty wants."
R100

Post by R100 »

I would probably carry a Military or Police sized knife nearly all the time rather than just when I can get away with it. I would also throw away all my deep carry clips. Laws and particularly public perception are strong considerations in Australia.

Dan
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I can carry whatever I want here in Austria, so I rather sometimes ask myself:

Would actually change what I carry IF there where restricting laws...resp. could I bring myself to obey to such for me completely nonsensical laws or would I rather still carry what I want and risk that they might take a knife from me - ?

But this is not the topic which I´ll reply to in another post.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

I live in Texas, so I can carry a sword if I'm so inclined.

The largest thing I carry is a Goddard or Endura. The largest fixed blades I'd wear are also in the 3-4in range. Anything larger just seems more than I'd ever need walking around
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

No restricting laws here in Austria/Europe, but public perception is another story:

Weirdly almost no one carries a knife, not even a folder, let alone a fixed blade. I get sceptical looks for the folder in my pocket pretty often (though people always find it nice that I have one on me when a knife is needed...), carrying a fixed blade would come across as really weird around here...

Luckily all this does not affect me.

In my day to day life a folder of Endura size is perfect, as said I could legally carry a larger one or a fixed blade, but I most likely normally would not do so even if the puplic perception would find this completely normal.

In the outdoors I do need and prefer and bring fixed blades sometimes for obvious reasons, but in more urban settings an Endura is perfect ( any smaller would tend to be too small): Still convenient in carry, strong enough lock up to do the tasks I use it for pretty much as well as a fixed blade, long enough cutting edge for some food prep (cutting a bred loaf and so on).

"More urban setting" perhaps is not the right term anyway, cause in MY case this actually includes starting a small fire sometimes and cook a little meal (I can do that between appointments) or doing a lot of unpacking / cutting open of helicopter loads and so on.
Still an Endura / Stretch XL / Pac Salt / Goddard (-sized folder) is perfectly fine for that.

Only if I really "go into the woods" and plan on a lot of woodwork,making a fire not only for cooking but for heat and an overnighter or something like that I want and bring a fixed blade.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Yes, I'd carry any of my 3-4 inch folders in public that I now carry at home.

In my part of Aus it is not lawful to carry any folder (not even a tiny Vic Classic) unless "for a good and specific reason". "General utility" is not a good reason. :eye-roll
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:05 pm
Would you guys carry a different sized knife if there were no blade length laws and no potential issues with public perception?

I’d definitely carry a slim folder (narrow & thin when closed) with a 4”+ blade instead of 3” blades due to local restrictions. However, even without legal restrictions, there are many venues which prohibit knives of any size (concerts, stadiums, theme parks, etc.).

Added:

As for perceptions, I open folders slowly in public without noise because the noise of a fast opening alarms some people and I’m conscious of that.

The two large folders I’ve carried in the past are Spyderco Military (4”) and Zero Tolerance 0452CF (4.1”). I prefer the latter because of its slimness.
Last edited by RamZar on Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kobold

Post by kobold »

Pole mounted. Nothing crazy like a halberd, but maybe a CS Bushman. :-)
Otherwise, I already carry what I want, legal or not, nobody really cares.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10