2023 - Did your preferences change or stay the same?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

2023 - Did your preferences change or stay the same?

Post by vivi »

Seven years ago I made a thread about how our preferences have changed over the years. I thought it generated some interesting responses.

Half way through 2023 I did the same thing. - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95008

I thought it might be fun to do a year end review of how our preferences have changed over 2023.

Here's mine:

- I've become less concerned with weight. Previously a C95 was the upper end of my weight preferences, and anything 5oz or above was less likely to be carried in general. Today I'm carrying a folder that's a little over 10oz, and I even went for a short run with it clipped for my pocket this afternoon. I've started to appreciate that heavier knives can be more versatile, as they pack more chopping power, and "letting the knife do the work" can be a benefit as well. Kind of kicking myself for selling off my last Szabo folder, largely because I felt it was too heavy. Ah well, live and learn. I'll find a Tatanka one day to take its place as my largest folding spydie :cheap-sunglasses

- I've continued moving away from serrated knives. Everytime I carry one, I feel like the cutting performance is worse than a coarse plain edged knife for my uses. Even carrying my combo edged C95, with its thin serrations ground to 15 degrees with an apex brought up to the ultrafine rods, they feel snaggier than plain edged knives are for me. Back when I used polished edges on plain edged knives serrations offered more of a benefit, but since switching to using coarser edges on PE pocket knives a lot of the advatanges of SE have become moot.

- I've grown in confidence with my belt sander. I've been reprofiling knives for decades but always did it with bench stones. I picked up a 1x30 sander a few years back for edging machetes and making Pacific Salt tips pointy, and in 2023 I got serious about using it for general reprofiling. I'm now confident taking brand new knives to it to reprofile, like I did with the last SRKC I bought and the SR1 folder I've been carrying. It has been a significant time saver. Knives that have been collecting dust in the back of my "sock drawer" because their edges were thick and dull got new life breathed into them in mere minutes, and have become staples in my collection again. I will never go back to reprofiling all my blades by bench stone - it's so much slower.

- The Pacific Salt was dethroned. I'm kind of reserving my enthusiasm here because the knife that dethroned it, the Stretch XL Salt, may get dethroned by the upcoming Chief Salt. But either way, when it's hot later this year and I'm going on some long runs on the trails I've been building this winter, the Stretch XL Salt or Native Chief Salt will be the one I reach for. The Pacific Salt has been a trusted companion for decades, and I'll definitely be holding on to a few from each generation, but there's a new lightweight rust proof king in my collection.

- Fixed blades are back on the menu. In the last thread I mentioned my fixed blade collection was pretty set. Since then I've fallen in love with SRK's and SRKC's, and have bought multiples of each. The 3V version in particular has me impressed, but even the base SK5's are a pleasure to sharpen and use. Also bought a Seal Pup Elite and have my eyes on grabbing another Scrapyard to go with my Dogfather.

- I'm finding fewer reasons to buy folders that don't have a lockback. While I'm open to detent based locks still, aside from getting a Military 2 I can't think of any others I plan to get. Between Spydercos Salts, Cold Steels mega folders, and the regular in between models, there's a very good variety of lockbacks out there to cover all my needs. Aside from the Military 2, the only non-lockback folder I plan to buy is the crucarta Manix XL.

- I bought more thumb stud based folders in 2023 than I did in the past 20 years. I've been extremely loyal to spyderco folders since I got into them, because I think the opening hole is superior to thumb studs, plus other reasons like interesting steels, good ergonomics, etc. But in 2023 I started checking out other brands seriously, and started buying some for the first time in a while. Aside from flirting with L and XL Voyagers back around 2018, I haven't bought thumb stud folders since the early 2000's. But in 2023 I picked up 8 Cold Steel folders, with an XL Recon in the mail. I also came close to buying a full sized Adamas folder, but decided against it in favor of an SR1 at my local shop. I still think the opening hole is much better than studs, but I also think some designs like the CS 4 Max offer attributes in a folder Spyderco currently doesn't.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Re: 2023 - Did your preferences change or stay the same?

Post by ladybug93 »

i've really leaned into the manix as my favorite model. i've already felt that way for years, but this year saw a couple more new manixes added to the collection, and customized with micarta scales and flytanium cages.

the big surprise for me this year is the delica. i never liked the delica ergonomics, but it somehow clicked with me this year. i bought a wharncliffe delica to modify with a signet ring and pickpocket, but i liked the blade too much to only use it as a backup sd knife. i removed the mods and have been carrying it often. then i bought the waved delica to put the signet ring on. it's a much better fit with its saber grind and more centered tip. i actually really enjoy using this one too, but it's keeping the signet ring anyway.

i don't have the stretch 2 salt yet, but i imagine the it will replace the much loved pacific salt for me. the pacific salt was my first spyderco when i came back to the brand in 2016 and i've carried almost every single day since and recommended it to countless people here, so it's a big deal for me to be willing to swap it out for something new. i'm really looking forward to getting one in hand to try out.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
THG

Post by THG »

Now I prefer corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening over edge holding

I also prefer Wharncliffe blades now

But I still prefer tip-down carry
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

- I was never concerned with weight, and I don't understand people concerned with weight.

- As far as a Salt knife goes, I will be buying 2+ Spyderco Native Chief knives in Magnacut. This is a large investment but if the HRC and cutting tests are accurate it will be a wise investment.

- 20 years ago after taking classes in the martial arts of escrima and arnis I started to EDC after fellow escrimadors gave me cheap short(2.5 to 3.5 inch) folding knives. Now I carry very good 4+ inch folders and the difference is that one of my new knives may be able to save my life. The choice is really yours, carry something that will open a box, or something that can be used to intimidate and put the hurt on a bad guy.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:57 pm
- I was never concerned with weight, and I don't understand people concerned with weight.

That´s a bit sad.

I totally do understand people not concerned with weight, but I don´t understand if one cant´t imagine any scenario in the life of some others where light weight might be nice to have ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Most things stayed the same for me:

FRN best handle material, backlock preferred lock type, Endura size (especially cutting edge length) ideal for a regular EDC, blade stock thicker than 3mm never needed and would like to see more thinner ones , light weight often nice to have and in some pants more convenient to carry (climbing pants with floppy pockets...), strong dislike for deep carry, Seki Salt knives great, but their level of corrosion resistance NOT necessary for me (VG10 level is perfectly fine here), a bit partial to (TOO) fine tips.

What has changed, at least a bit?

- Still clearly prefer full SE, but can "live better" again with PE in some steels (REX45, 4V) and if I really like the platform (Goddard, Manix 2 LW) - my basic version of the "Vivi edge" sure helps with that

- The thin red line Endura taught me, how good a long, ffg comboedge can be!
Often it does not matter if one starts a cut with SE and finishes with PE (processing cardboard...), sometimes it is very nice if the "points" of the teeth break up materail initially before PE gets to cut it further, the SE section is long enough to give you a great "featherstick maker" or "deeply into wood biter" (chiselgrind!), while the PE part is still there if one needs more of a "scraper" or in very particular cases wants to avoid the "SE steering", with the SE part one always has an "emergency rip things apart tool" on them (I guess even wire cut be cut with that in a pinch)

- Like Vivi I am preferring backlocks even more.
In fact I slimmed down my array of Spydies so that I only have backlocks anymore, except one Manix 2 LW (and technically a PM2, but that is long term lend to a friend who lives pretty far away).
If there were more CBBLs, I´d probably have some more knives with that lock too, but backlock would still be "king".
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

2023 was my first year of owning Spyderco knives, so I guess I could say my preferences changed in that I started giving them a chance this year. I honestly used to just think the knives were too unappealing aesthetically to even consider. So in that sense I'd say I've continued to move towards function over form in my appreciation of knives. The LW Manix 2 in particular has really impressed me; the Rex 45 version has been in my hand a lot since it arrived and I'm constantly looking for reasons to use it more. I'll definitely be trying out a few more Spyderco models in 2024, though at the moment I'm not exactly certain which ones.

2023 is also the year I've started moving more towards fixed blade for my EDC after picking up a Guardian 3.2. No fixed blade before that knife could have convinced me to take anything but a folder to work; fixed blades required too much thought and setup in terms of figuring out my belt carry options, and I honestly didn't really even own any fixed blades that were small enough to make sense for regular EDC. But with the 3.2 and some new pocket carry options (both an Armatus Architect with an Ulti Clip, and a Roac Gear custom pocket carry leather sheath), it's become the norm more than the exception to have just my fixed blade with me. I'm still buying and using folders, but that knife definitely changed my EDC thought process forever. I will definitely be getting some more carry options for the M1 as well to see how that matches up to the Guardian over time.

As far as what's stayed the same, I still hate liner and frame lock knives. Of my entire collection, only the Praxis remains with either of those lockups. I may never buy one again. Some of them I still appreciate from an aesthetic standpoint, but like I mentioned above, I've swung pretty far away from aesthetic being a significant factor to actually get a purchase out of me. We'll see if any knife in 2024 can change that trend.

I also still continue to favor crossbar locks over other folder lockups. The Hogue Deka remains the folder to beat overall for me. I rarely sit and fidget overly with my folding knives... unless I'm carrying the Deka. I honestly don't know how Hogue produces the action they do on that knife, but it speaks to something in my lizard brain for sure.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

1. The Manbug wharncliffe SE remains essential. Its convenience and capability is outstanding.

2. I reconnected with the PITS, having finally aquired the m390 sprint. It is the ultimate production slipjoint.

3. Old designs warrant investigation. I knew this from my og Starmate, but ‘23’s Goddard sprint confirmed this, and I’m looking forward to ‘24’s Catcherman sprint.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:13 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:57 pm
That´s a bit sad.

I totally do understand people not concerned with weight, but I don´t understand if one cant´t imagine any scenario in the life of some others where light weight might be nice to have ;)
NOPE, cannot see it. Especially when 95% of the knives they are kvetching about are 1 to 3.5 inches long Spyderco knives. Spyderco does not make heavy knives to begin with.

Now if it was a 1 to 3 foot long fixed blade, there may be a reason for a lighter blade.

By the way, I weigh 195 to 200lbs, so a couple of ounces either way do not matter to me. If I weighed 50lbs, I might notice it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Windward

Post by Windward »

The big one for me was, this year, was that i really leaned into frn/frcp being my favorite handle material. Used to think it felt cheap, now ive come to appreciate so much more.

Im no longer of the thinking that non stainless steels had no place for me. I have a bay on one side of me and ocean on the other and my work days are usually on boats. I bought a cruwear thos year para 3 and love it. It wont see work, and i do have to oil it even just in the drawer. But everytime i use it, im happy.

Manix 2LW is now my favorite golden model. Used to be the pm2, but the feel and srength have really suited me better. I used to avoid manixes, because of the lock position. Based on previous knives (usually axis style locks) in the same area i found them awkward to use. The manix ball lock however, i love it.

I briefly tried deep carry this year. Realised i hated it quicky. So maybe not a change, but i learned something.

Everything else still stayed the same. still really like simple backlock, seki models. Toughness and corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening are still way more important than edge retention to me. H1 has remained my favorite knife steel.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I went way smaller. I detest scratching my cars with pocket clips so I have basically gone Dfly or Manbug with lanyard in the pocket
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The only change foe me is I have acquired a few more smaller knives than ever in the past . I still look for older models of interest which will never change . I will never buy a right handed frame lock or linerlock , may like the design but as a lefty not happening. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Windward wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:49 am
The big one for me was, this year, was that i really leaned into frn/frcp being my favorite handle material. Used to think it felt cheap, now ive come to appreciate so much more.

Im no longer of the thinking that non stainless steels had no place for me. I have a bay on one side of me and ocean on the other and my work days are usually on boats. I bought a cruwear thos year para 3 and love it. It wont see work, and i do have to oil it even just in the drawer. But everytime i use it, im happy.

Manix 2LW is now my favorite golden model. Used to be the pm2, but the feel and srength have really suited me better. I used to avoid manixes, because of the lock position. Based on previous knives (usually axis style locks) in the same area i found them awkward to use. The manix ball lock however, i love it.

I briefly tried deep carry this year. Realised i hated it quicky. So maybe not a change, but i learned something.

Everything else still stayed the same. still really like simple backlock, seki models. Toughness and corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening are still way more important than edge retention to me. H1 has remained my favorite knife steel.
Same here on most points!

- FRN is amazing, and depending how you look at it "stronger" than G10 ("strong" in quotes, might technically be not the correct term).
- Backlocks to me are the most versatile, overall safest and most secure lock type. Also make for good ergos and are completely ambidextrous.
- I avoid the term "hating" in the context of folders, but deep carry really comes close to that for me personally.
I totally respect and understand folks who like it, many definitely have their good, valid, subjective reasons, but for me it just does not do anything good. Also, and this is of course completely subjective, I think deep carry clips often ruin the looks of a folder - especially the ones that actually extend behind the handle end...(still: More power to all fellow forumites who like that! :clinking-mugs )
brancron

Post by brancron »

Over the last couple years (and last year especially) my preference has been towards larger knives, especially larger folders with clips. But I still like them light! I used to think the Military was too big but for some reason it's perfect for me now (and the PM2 seems a little squashed in comparison). I still like small slipjoints though, which I usually carry in suit pants or slacks at work.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

They’ve stayed the same all year. Temperance’s for hard use fixed blades, kopas calys and calypso’s for edc folder carry
:bug-red-white
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I wouldn’t say that my preferences changed in 2023. It’s more that a trend continued to solidify. I continue to, overall, prefer smaller knives, and primarily in titanium (I despise FRN and don’t seek out G10). I’m also not someone who’s always chasing the perfect user knife. Honestly, I rarely even need to use one, and my daily carry Seb 21 micarta Insingo has found a permanent place in my pocket. So, it’s more about what I find interesting, and I’ve realized that I’m not really wanting anything that’s not special in some way, i.e. limited numbers or design/materials. In fact, I only bought one knife, the Paysan, in all of 2023. No idea what my next will be, or when.
Spyderfreek

Post by Spyderfreek »

2023 was a big knife year for me, as in late 2022 I rekindled my knife hobby. The biggest thing for me is I really took a liking to Spyderco, previously my only spyderco was a Resilience. The other thing that changed was what I wanted out of a steel, I no longer care about corrosion resistance, and seek out high strength (read high hardness with moderate toughness) steels like k390, M4, 10v, 4v etc. as those types of steels are most likely to survive without gross edge damage for the kind of use I put them through (utility use as a mechanic).

This also changed my sharpening habits, I used to be big into water stones and super high polished edges, but now my water stones are pretty much useless on most of the steels I have, so now it's a 600 or 1200 grit DMT edge with a 4/2/0.5/0.25 micron strop just to polish up the teeth and get rid of any burr.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

2023 was a very big year for me with knives as that is when I first got interested collecting. Now, I have 70+ knives of various brands. After exposure to some other brands, I finally decided to give Spyderco a try. As a result, it has become the brand I have with the most number of knives. Of those 70+, between what I have already received and what is inbound, there are 30+ Spyderco, none of which are a duplicate model. So, I am getting a huge exposure to many models, steels, edges, and lock types. Once I finally collect my next batch or three of mail, I may finally calm down some. :rofl
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

Cool thread idea, Vivi. Happy to fall in line.

Similar to Wallach, 2023 was a big year for me with Spyderco knives as late winter 2023 I got my first Spyderco since I was a teen in the 90's: an AEB-L mule. I was apparently bitten by a spyder of sorts around that time, perhaps due to my shock at how much I liked the AEB-L mule. Despite being a long time low-key knife user guy, I've now become obsessed. So, yes Spyderco in my life is the biggest change.

Other trends are available...
Size: I continue to gravitate towards larger EDC knives, and currently favor the PM2 or Manix 2 size range. I got a Native 5 LW and just can't seem to keep from cutting myself while opening it because of handle/hand geometry mis-match, so it will probably be out the door later this year. Current fave: DLT-Teal S90V PM2.

Handle material: I couldn't believe how much I liked G10 when I got my first Halpern Mule Team scales, and quickly found myself looking down on FRCP/FRN for all the reasons others like to. But then I got one and started using it, and even more quickly decided that I really like the combo of lightweight/simplicity/robust grip. Current fave: Manix 2 LW SPY27.

Blade material: I basically just started really learning about tool steels for knife blades 10 months ago and at the time I figured the corrosion resistance issue would be huge (live in Seattle, WA, USA across the street from the sea; spend a ton of time in the rainy outdoors). Turns out it's not as big of a deal if you're at all fastidious with your gear and take any modicum of care, at least in my area and with my use habits. And now that I'm taking the hard steels thin, I feel like a whole new world of performance is opening up - pretty wild. Current fave: K294.

Fixed blade preference: I've carried an ESEE 4 S35VN as my belt knife in the woods, at camp, often in the garden, for several years now. The surprise is that Mules have taken over this role, even thought they're not that similar. I've been finding myself with a Mule on my belt as my primary woods knife these days, occasionally supplementing with my ESEE 6 if I intend to do any real firewood processing. Current fave in the woods: AEB-L Mule Team.

Fun side note: From the moment I got the spyder bite early in 2023 I thought the Manix 2 was a laughably ugly knives among a cohort of questionably looking knives. I simply did not get it. Make it lightweight, and re: above, my handle prefs, and I thought the Manix 2 LW might be the dumbest looking and constructed knife. But I'm actually relatively open-minded sometimes, and re: my new obsession, I decided to finally try one when I found a relatively cheap Ebay deal for a new Manix 2 LW SPY27 early autumn. Well, I stinking love carrying and using this knife now, and have been shocked by how the excellent ergonomics and combination of blade length/shape/weight come together. It is the primary knife in my pocket today, and many days, and I'm excited to try the new REX45 white/black variant I gifted myself for holiday. I still think they're pretty funny looking (ha!) but I have started to take pictures of mine on occasion, so clearly that opinion may also be changing...
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Vivi wrote, "- Fixed blades are back on the menu."

My mind saw:

- Meat's back on the menu boys!

So thanks for that LoTR flashback Vivi. ;)

My preferences adjusted quite a bit in 2023. For the first time, I began modding my knives with custom scales and deep carry clips. I also tried out and really liked flipper knives. Besides machetes, multi-tools, and hunting knives, I had not tried out non-Spyderco knives in a long time. That changed last year. And for the first time in a long time, a non-Spydie is spending more time in my pocket (Elementum II flipper in S35VN) vs a Delica.

For about 30 years, my primary knives were Delicas and Stretches with a single Ladybug, Police, Endura, or various other models being tried out and never really scratching the itch. This past year, a switch was made because I obtained over a dozen different Spydies including the PM2 which I had tried before and didn't like, but now I really do.

I now have some new PM2s in different steels that have been modded with different scales. And the S90V with suingab scales is spending more time in my pocket as an EDC when out and about as is the Sliverax (see below). That HAP40 Stretch was a lucky find thanks to some folks here in another thread.

I also tried the Tasman Salt SE and PE for my garden. I initially preferred PE, but became a believer in SE for gardening chores. That was a big switch. I still want a SuperHawk, but in SE now vs the PE I thought I wanted.

2 knives that I tried and wanted to like, but they didn't really hit the spot were the Manix 2 and Native 5. The Manix 2 just doesn't feel right for me. I got the Stormtrooper version that is gravity drop close awesome out of the box. I am keeping it for now in case my tastes change. And the Native 5 isn't terrible, it just doesn't spark anything great. It's a good knife, so I am keeping my Salt version that I got for the same reason as above.

So even though I still like my Stretches and Delicas, other knives are spending more time in my pockets these days. And I find that I am really liking the compression lock better than the back lock due to its ease in one hand close (for me). Interesting that while others are liking backlocks more, I am heading in the opposite direction. Figures.

Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2