dragonfly lc200n wharncliffe?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hobbyist

dragonfly lc200n wharncliffe?

Post by hobbyist »

I have found my wharncliffe dragonfly to be the favorite edc carry. We have 3 k390 versions (front door for packages, garage for cardboard breakdown, and my pocket for me) and a vg10 version that I carry sometimes.

A salt version (not h1 or h2) would be amazing. Lc200N is my favorite steel and I think the dragonfly is due for some green scales!

I’d settle for a leaf blade of course but I think the wharncliffe makes this little guy the ultimate box cutter.
ladybug93

Re: dragonfly lc200n wharncliffe?

Post by ladybug93 »

a few of us have been asking for a df2 in lc200n for years. i'd also really like to see ticn versions. a blacked out pe lc200n df2 would be a great little knife.

i've yet to try the wharncliffe version, but i'd definitely be down for one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
jdw

Post by jdw »

I love my K390 wharncliffe d-fly. It pairs really well with the Military for me in those instances where I need a knife for a small task like opening a small package, or a bag of chips and such in a public place. I would personally like to see a green lc200n version but given all of the wharnies recently disco’d I wonder what the overall demand would be?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

I think the Dragonfly in general is the finest pocketknife on earth and is my blade of choice. Got a beauty in K390. That stuff is surreal and seems to almost never need sharpening. Never had a steel like it. I would like to see a Dragonfly model in MagnaCut. I’d jump on that in an instant, one for my wilderness pack and one for my pocket. I dig the leaf blade but the Warncliff looks very capable.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

By no means I want to crash the party...

but for me personally the DFly wharnie that is really missing exactly IS one in H1/H2 (and in SE)... it is the only version of the Dfly I´d definitely get as a backup knife (otherwise the platform is just too small for me), cause the H1/H2 Dflys (regular blade, hawkbill..) look to have a higher hollow sabre grind than the other Seki H1/H2 folders.

This higher hollow grind in a wharnie and with teeth must be a really fierce cutter and I would let one live in my pack as a very capable, superlight emergency backup.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Would buy. Also Manbug and LBHB in PE
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Yes please
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

The Wharncliffe Dragonfly is my EDC MVP. It is often a secondary carry and sometimes a primary carry. I have one that lives permanently in the pocket of my favorite jacket. It's just about perfect for what it is.

That said, the lack of stainless alternatives is disappointing. I don't really have a problem with VG-10 but I'd love to get one in MagnaCut, Elmax, S45VN, SPY27, or LC200N. Heck, even BD1N would be an exciting alternative.
hobbyist

Post by hobbyist »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:05 am
By no means I want to crash the party...

but for me personally the DFly wharnie that is really missing exactly IS one in H1/H2 (and in SE)... it is the only version of the Dfly I´d definitely get as a backup knife (otherwise the platform is just too small for me), cause the H1/H2 Dflys (regular blade, hawkbill..) look to have a higher hollow sabre grind than the other Seki H1/H2 folders.

This higher hollow grind in a wharnie and with teeth must be a really fierce cutter and I would let one live in my pack as a very capable, superlight emergency backup.
I’m in full agreement that an SE dragonfly wharncliffe would be amazing.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I wouldn't be lined up to buy one but I have often wondered why Lc200n DFlys aren't a thing. Feel like ive read more people say if they carry a DFly it's an H1/2 serrated usually followed by words like "pocket chainsaw" or "cuts way bigger than it carries". Maybe theyre still the minority of sales though and Spyderco doesn't want to cannibalize Salt DFly sales with another Salt DFly.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:54 am
I wouldn't be lined up to buy one but I have often wondered why Lc200n DFlys aren't a thing. Feel like ive read more people say if they carry a DFly it's an H1/2 serrated usually followed by words like "pocket chainsaw" or "cuts way bigger than it carries". Maybe theyre still the minority of sales though and Spyderco doesn't want to cannibalize Salt DFly sales with another Salt DFly.
😂 I literally joke about my little ‘pocket chainsaw’ D’fly SE Salt to all my arborist friends (I port chainsaws for them, I don’t just exclusively befriend people in the tree service industry 🤪).

I would love a Wharncliffe Salt D’fly, although for such a small amount of blade I’d either want SE H2 as Gernot mentioned above, or PE Magnacut for the impressive PE edge retention.

I like to imagine The Mandalorian carries a Wharncliffe D’fly and says “This is the way” every time his mates are struggling to open a blister pack of AAA batteries and he whips it out. If it’s good enough for a fictional character of robust moral integrity from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, it’s definitely good enough for me.

Oh man, now I’m imagining a Rex 45 white and DLC wharncliffe D’fly! 🤯🤤
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE