Aging pacific salt 2 needs luv

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sbogill

Aging pacific salt 2 needs luv

Post by sbogill »

I have an older Pacific Salt 2 that is holding up surprisingly well for its age. The only thing is that the anodizing is wearing through on the pocket clip and mounting screw as well as the hollow screw on the back side that the mounting screw threads into. Just to be clear this is one of the older clips with 1 big hole as opposed to 3 small holes. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? I would need the associated hardware too—both sides of the screw and the backing plate—to go along with the clip.
sal

Re: Aging pacific salt 2 needs luv

Post by sal »

Hi Sbogill,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sbogill wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:18 am
I have an older Pacific Salt 2 that is holding up surprisingly well for its age. The only thing is that the anodizing is wearing through on the pocket clip and mounting screw as well as the hollow screw on the back side that the mounting screw threads into. Just to be clear this is one of the older clips with 1 big hole as opposed to 3 small holes. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? I would need the associated hardware too—both sides of the screw and the backing plate—to go along with the clip.

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

... I am pretty sure you are talking about then Pac Salt ONE not the TWO, right? (Pac Salt 1 has that barrel clip, volcano instead of bidirectional texturing, different shape (the "old" Endura shape) and is no longer in production)

I think you could get a barrel clip directy at Spyderco (but don´t quote me on it), don´t know about the rest of the hardwear, but probably they still have that either I guess.

Now is it just for the looks or do you think you need that anodizing for rustproofness? I think the latter is not the case.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Windward

Post by Windward »

Im of the worn clip is a loved clipped party haha but to each their own. You could try cerakote if you were willing to do it yourself. Comes in a ton of colors and may actually be more durable than the factory finish. It costs about $30 ifni remeber right, and itll last through multiple touchups if you need them. Air cure is probablly your best bet.
Attachments
20231212_103521.jpg
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Windward wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:04 am
Im of the worn clip is a loved clipped party haha but to each their own. You could try cerakote if you were willing to do it yourself. Comes in a ton of colors and may actually be more durable than the factory finish. It costs about $30 ifni remeber right, and itll last through multiple touchups if you need them. Air cure is probablly your best bet.
The clip on that knife is not the tell that it has been well loved… it’s the fact that the rear end of the knife looks like it has permanently changed color due to UV exposure from being carried so much. :cheap-sunglasses Impressive!
- Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

sbogill wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:18 am
I would try contacting Spyderco’s warranty and repair department to see if they have any clips and hardware available for the knife. With it being an older model, they might not have the correct parts in stock but it’s still worth a try.

Also, just a technical correction because I can’t help myself, the clip is not anodized. It’s just a paint like coating. Might actually even be just paint.
- Nick :bug-red
Windward

Post by Windward »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:28 am

The clip on that knife is not the tell that it has been well loved… it’s the fact that the rear end of the knife looks like it has permanently changed color due to UV exposure from being carried so much. :cheap-sunglasses Impressive!
If nothing else. It reminds me to put on sunscreen every morning when it goes in my pocket