Browsing through the product guide: The two middle ground models that are still missing imo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Browsing through the product guide: The two middle ground models that are still missing imo

Post by Wartstein »

Was just browsing through the newest product guide - enjoyed it a lot, as always, but to me there are two obvious, often discussed already gaps in the lineup:

1.) "Endela Salt"

See for example this thread viewtopic.php?t=85893#p1396951

Yes, we have the Manix 2 Salt LW now, but I still think a "true Seki Salt" right between Salt 2 and Endura would be great.

Some have proposed "Mediterrenean Salt" as a name, make the blade just a hair longer than on the Endela (this is also the case on the Salt 2 compared to the Delica) but still just under 3.5" (for legal limits in some places) and keep the overall Endela shape otherwise. What a great compact but not too small, superlight workhorse that would be!

2.) Midsized Native

See this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90338#p1546251

Such a "mid sized model" does exist in the "Milli family" and the "Endura family" and at least in the former the PM2 ("mid sized") is a great seller.

A blade right between Native 5 and Chief would come in at pretty much exactly 3.5" and given the slimness of the overall platform a Native of that size would make for an amazing carry with still a good amount of edge to work with.

Also, the choil would make more sense than on the Native to me, cause most likely the handle behind the choil would still offer space for all four fingers even on a bit larger hands (not the case on the Native 5)

(And once more: The Shaman is a great design in itself, but imo NOT a "mid sized Native"!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Re: Browsing through the product guide: The two middle ground models that are still missing imo

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I agree Gernot . I definitely would love to see a Endela Salt and a midsize Native also sounds interesting. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Re: Browsing through the product guide: The two middle ground models that are still missing imo

Post by Mushroom »

The Native 5 literally is a “midsized” Native.
-Nick :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:27 am
Yup. In the category of edc pocket folders , the native 5 definitely isn’t small or large, it’s a mid size folder.
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Yup. In the category of edc pocket folders , the native 5 definitely isn’t small or large, it’s a mid size folder.
Mushroom wrote:

Folks, no offense, but please no semantics.

You know what is meant and I described it in detail, here again:

A Native - very popular platform - in that appearantly also very popular PM2, Endela, Stretch, Manix... sizerange.
Which is also a great option for those who want the added versatility of a longer blade, but still do not want to go above 3.5" for legal or carry or other reasons.

Btw: For me personally knives like Delica, Native 5, Para 3 ARE really small.
Something like a Dfly or Lil Native is tiny for me
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Now the dfly and the lil native are “small sized folders”. Tiny folders are like the ladybug.
kobold

Post by kobold »

inb4 "Shaman is the mid sized Native". :bug-red-white
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

kobold wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:32 am
inb4 "Shaman is the mid sized Native". :bug-red-white
It’s considered part of the Native family so, yes, it technically is. :cheap-sunglasses
-Nick :bug-red
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I would love an Endela Salt. I hope there’s one in the queue somewhere.

I would love it almost as much as I would love a Saltjumper. 😁
kobold

Post by kobold »

There is plenty of space to fit a 3.5" Native between the two extremes:
Last edited by kobold on Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Yes to Endela salt! I would also like to have another wharnie in the salt line that is larger than Salt 2, and the Endela size you are describing would be a good platform for that.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

I could definitely go for an Endela Salt.

Now, a size that I am surprised is not available on the main Spyderco range is something like the Resilience.
It seems that there is a lot of people who like the bigger sizes on this forum and they may go for that.
I would 100% buy a Resilience Salt.

Best,
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:36 am
Mushroom wrote:
Guys, not trying to be offensive, but maybe consider this….

The size of a knife is not some scientifically objective standard that can be measured and judged the same way for everyone. I suggest not to treat it that way. A “medium” sized knife has no true transcendent measurable dimension. To different people it will be different based on their experience and opinion. Some people have large hands and others have small and that will make a world of difference. The OP said “IMO”. Evaluating the world in a more nuanced way will avoid technical squabbles.
Tristan_david2001

I beleive there are technical and objective measurements in this scenario.
vivi

Post by vivi »

LeDe wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:55 am

Now, a size that I am surprised is not available on the main Spyderco range is something like the Resilience.
It seems that there is a lot of people who like the bigger sizes on this forum and they may go for that.

Best,
Naperville has been pushing for a Chief XL, and that's an idea I could certainly get behind.

Carrying a Police today and, at least for my hands, it doesn't feel large at all. It just feels right.

The Buck 110 was my EDC prior to learning about Spyderco, and to this day knives smaller than it feel exactly that to me - small.
:unicorn
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I know it will never happen, but the original Worker in black FRN would be nice.

FRN molds for the Delica or suchlike might be close enough?

Call it the De-Worker?

Problem is that folk will want a gazillion choices of color, and steel types that have not been invented yet, and assorted blade profiles, and SE and PE and 60/40, and all the lock types ever invented... :winking-tongue
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I dunno guys. These are knives, not shoes. They don’t need to come in a million sizes.

Natives come in 2.5”, 3”, and 4” (if you don’t consider the Shaman a Native family member). I would argue that is just fine.

I would rather Spyderco focus on innovative models rather than making every combo of size, steel, and handle material for every model.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I would buy an Endela Salt.

As for a model that sits between the Native 5 and Native Chief... the Endela already fills that niche for me, though I understand how folks with a different hand size might prefer a model with a forward choil.
native5_endela_nativechief_01.jpg
native5_endela_nativechief_02.jpg
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:09 pm
LeDe wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:55 am

Best,
Naperville has been pushing for a Chief XL, and that's an idea I could certainly get behind.

Carrying a Police today and, at least for my hands, it doesn't feel large at all. It just feels right.

The Buck 110 was my EDC prior to learning about Spyderco, and to this day knives smaller than it feel exactly that to me - small.
Merry Christmas to all! :smiling-hearts

Sal said that the expansion project may be complete some time in the Spring. I am crossing my fingers that Sal finds the Native Chief XL a worthy addition to the Native line up. Sal likes large knives too, so maybe it will happen. If so I hope it has a blade length that sits right at around 4.5 to 4.75. The Lil' Native, Native, Native Chief are beautiful knives and a Native Chief XL would be awesome!!!

I'll keep supporting Spyderco the only way that I know how, by buying Spyderco knives! :party-face
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:41 pm
I dunno guys. These are knives, not shoes. They don’t need to come in a million sizes.

Natives come in 2.5”, 3”, and 4” (if you don’t consider the Shaman a Native family member). I would argue that is just fine.

I would rather Spyderco focus on innovative models rather than making every combo of size, steel, and handle material for every model.
I would very much like to see various innovative designs as well.