Browsing through the product guide: The two middle ground models that are still missing imo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Browsing through the product guide: The two middle ground models that are still missing imo

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:55 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:47 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:12 am
vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:19 am
So the delica to you is a tiny folder if the endela is a “small” model ? Okay. Respectfully disagree..

Think I made it pretty clear:

1.) This is to a large part (but not totally) subjective

2.) My subjective impression is that generally when talking about general, do it all EDC folders in Spydercos lineup and "main families" Delica/Native 5/ Para 3 size is small, Endela/ PM2/Manix size is medium, Millie/Endura/Chief is large

Even if you take a "full" lineup like in the Endura / Seki FRN family: DFly, Delica, Endela, Endura, Police:
The Endela is right in the "medium" middle.

3.) Just to ME PERSONALLY as a single individual for my use and my hands Endura size is "regular", anything below it is starting to be small in various degrees. One cannot actually "disagree" with that, cause it is what it is for (only) ME, clearly not meant necessarily being for YOU too anyway ;).
Generally (not in my personal use) I do think anyway that an Endela is a medium (and not small) folder.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Re: Browsing through the product guide: The two middle ground models that are still missing imo

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:34 pm
:index-finger Right on.

I would love to know which size are the hot sellers for Spyderco. Bolster could probably provide a small glympse of what may be a popular size. I think an Endela Salt would be pretty popular, but that is just a guess. I would assume if the PM2, Endela, Manix 2 range are great sellers than Spyderco eventually would want to take advantage of that and add more models in that range. If they are not top sellers, than they probably should leave it be.

Would be interesting indeed!

I am pretty sure, if one goes roughly by size ranges, the Delica / Para 3... and Manix / PM 2 size ranges are the ones where most Spydies get sold - just a guess though.
Perhaps, and to a large part maybe for legal reasons (crazy blade length laws in so many places) the Delica size range sells even better?

Makes sense also imo:

I think if you placed a bunch of Spydies in every size range in front of people not too much into knives and let them choose a general EDC folder, most would probably be like: "Well, a Dfly / Lil Native is cool and very convenient for opening packages, but perhaps to small for occaisonally cutting food or whittling"; While a Delica / Para 3 probably would look to them as being the smallest size for being generally useful in knife tasks, a PM2 / Manix a "good, medium size", but Endura / Chief for some "larger than I need".
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Interesting discussion, but a couple of things should be addressed. When defining the size of a knife as small, medium, or large, it seems as if most people are concerned about its size in their hand and/or in their pocket or purse. The blade size is a different measurement but equally important to those who utilize their knives as tools in their lives.

It appears that some on here are discussing knife size from one perspective while other are discussing it from another. In terms of closed knife sizes, here are some numbers. For instance, a closed Police is 5.64", Endura is 4.98", a PM2 is 4.82", an Endela is 4.69", and a Delica is 4.25". So the difference between a Police and everything below it is at least half an inch. And the difference between the Delica and everything except the Endela is at least half and inch. And the difference between the Police and the Delica is well over an inch. So it appears that half an inch in the hand helps objectively define the difference between small, medium, and large - at least in regards to fitting in a pocket or your hand.

Also of Note:

There are no Delicas (or Salt 2s) currently in Magnacut. It would be nice to have a such an offering for that popular knife size.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kriezek wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:38 pm

Also of Note:

There are no Delicas (or Salt 2s) currently in Magnacut. It would be nice to have a such an offering for that popular knife size.
The Native 5 is available, and the Para 3 is on the way.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kriezek wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:38 pm
Interesting discussion, but a couple of things should be addressed. When defining the size of a knife as small, medium, or large, it seems as if most people are concerned about its size in their hand and/or in their pocket or purse. The blade size is a different measurement but equally important to those who utilize their knives as tools in their lives.

It appears that some on here are discussing knife size from one perspective while other are discussing it from another. In terms of closed knife sizes, here are some numbers. For instance, a closed Police is 5.64", Endura is 4.98", a PM2 is 4.82", an Endela is 4.69", and a Delica is 4.25". So the difference between a Police and everything below it is at least half an inch. And the difference between the Delica and everything except the Endela is at least half and inch. And the difference between the Police and the Delica is well over an inch. So it appears that half an inch in the hand helps objectively define the difference between small, medium, and large - at least in regards to fitting in a pocket or your hand.

Also of Note:

- I think they do Magnacut only in Golden knives (yet?), but not in Seki - models.

- The "what is small/medium/large" discussion actually SHOWS that this is to at least some part subjective - and practically speaking this discussion is pretty fruit- or even use-less, but theoretically perhaps still interesting how different folks perceive things differently, and which parameters they prioritize when defining size categories.

So for me for example closed size is not really high on that list.
Actually just for me personally (and so not how I think Spydercos lineup is generally viewed and categorizised by most) cutting edge length matters a lot - as long as the actual handle (potential choil EX-cluded) gives me a full four finger grip (if it does not, a knife just is "small" for me, regardless of cutting edge length).

So to me the Tenacious is much more of "Endura - size" than of "Manix size" - cause the Tenacious DOES offer a four finger grip for me (though a rather short one...) AND almost an Endura cutting edge...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Maybe that, after the Native Chief and Shaman, we could have a Power Ranger, with the Power Lock
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:52 am
Maybe that, after the Native Chief and Shaman, we could have a Power Ranger, with the Power Lock
Only if it’s made in Japan. The Power Lock is limited to Japan only.
- Nick :bug-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:35 am
Ramonade wrote:
Yes, that would make it impossible I guess. Thought about it while writing but I wanted to write Power Ranger so bad :(
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:56 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:35 am
Ramonade wrote:
Yes, that would make it impossible I guess. Thought about it while writing but I wanted to write Power Ranger so bad :(

So go ahead Robin and start a dedicated thread about a Spyderco Power Ranger made in Seki city and what it could look like... ;)
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

A Native 5 is NOT a Delica. I have both. Not only is the blade wider on the Native 5, but it is thicker as well. And for some of us, the Delica just holds a special place of endearment.

I still have my G-2, AUS-6, and ATS-55 versions along with several VG-10 ones and ZDP-189, 20CV, and S30V. I missed the CruWear one when it came out unfortunately and I don't like really like non-stainless too much (don't tell my HAP40 Stretch - LOL).

I will continue to wait and hope for the best.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2