OG Military Replacement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shane1

OG Military Replacement

Post by shane1 »

I lost an OG military recently and would like to replace it with another. I have the MilItary 2 and it is very nice, but my wife recently claimed it. Although the 2 is great, the OG has some nostalgic value to me as I has an early ATS-34 that I basically wore out and the one lost as a BG-42. How is the S110v? :bug-red-white
yablanowitz

Re: OG Military Replacement

Post by yablanowitz »

I like the S110V myself. It doesn't sharpen up as easily as BG42 and is more prone to chipping when hitting something hard, like bone or staples, but I've thrashed mine pretty hard and it is still kicking.
shane1

Post by shane1 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:53 pm
I like the S110V myself. It doesn't sharpen up as easily as BG42 and is more prone to chipping when hitting something hard, like bone or staples, but I've thrashed mine pretty hard and it is still kicking.
Thanks.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have the S110V version. I personally prefer Spyderco's S30V especially at the better price. Unless you are looking for a step up in corrosion resistance or wear resistance or you just like the color blurple, I would recommend saving the $'s and getting an S30V version of your choice.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
shane1

Post by shane1 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:25 pm
I have the S110V version. I personally prefer Spyderco's S30V especially at the better price. Unless you are looking for a step up in corrosion resistance or wear resistance or you just like the color blurple, I would recommend saving the $'s and getting an S30V version of your choice.
Thanks.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If you want all out edge holding out of currently available milis then 110v is the best option. I personally like S90V more. I would also vote for the S30V mili and an extra coarse edge.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Regular use for me turns s110v into a jagged edge. I can’t recommend the steel to anyone who wouldn’t baby the knife and doesn’t have a knife sharpener.
shane1

Post by shane1 »

Rinzler wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:25 pm
Regular use for me turns s110v into a jagged edge. I can’t recommend the steel to anyone who wouldn’t baby the knife and doesn’t have a knife sharpener.
Thanks. After some research, it looks like the S30V would be better for me.
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I also prefer the S30V over S110V. Balanced steel is good because it is balanced, and Spyderco's S30V is great.

Good to see someone appreciate the real Military model.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm a little late to the party, but I have two S30V Militaries, and one S110V Military. I, too, prefer S30V over S110V.

Jim
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

S30V is good to go unless you have very specific preferences.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

S30V is a perfect steel for a folder imo.

The only Millie I ever owned was in S30V and I was more than happy with it.

Btw: Great when the Millie "1" gets some attention and love and not only the "2" !
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

My customized and microconvexed S110V is my user and my S90V (blue G10 Bento Box) is my backup. No issues with S110V whatsoever.
Having a feeling the model will be disco'd sometime in the future, I think I need at least one more.
So, while I know tacticool is not my style and while I stopped buying and sold what I already had, I am still inexplicably attracted to the camo black DLC Millie. :smiling-hearts :thinking
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

shane1 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:21 pm
I lost an OG military recently and would like to replace it with another. I have the MilItary 2 and it is very nice, but my wife recently claimed it. Although the 2 is great, the OG has some nostalgic value to me as I has an early ATS-34 that I basically wore out and the one lost as a BG-42. How is the S110v? :bug-red-white
There are so many good steels to choose from, even the S30V is a good choice. I remember when ATS-34 was the popular steel for custom knifemakers. My understanding is 154CM is similar or the same as ATS-34, and S30V is a step better than 154CM. S110V is a more high performance steel in the edgeholding area but a little bit more brittle and correspondingly harder to sharpen. If you use your knives for cutting and don't mistreat them, and if you have the equipment to sharpen S110V, then it is a good choice. I think if a person is wanting their Military to be a bit tougher then Cruwear is a good choice.