FRN Chaparral internals compatible with Maple Chaparral?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

FRN Chaparral internals compatible with Maple Chaparral?

Post by Holland »

When the serrated FRN chaparral comes out, I am hoping to move the serrated blade into my Maple chaparral.

Generally the lockbar and the blade need to stay together and I know the FRN chaparral has slightly different internals than the rest of the models.

Has anyone take both these apart and compared the blade and lockbar to see if they could be swapped?
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Notsurewhy

Re: FRN Chaparral internals compatible with Maple Chaparral?

Post by Notsurewhy »

I thought they were all the same with nested steel liners except for the titanium models which were linerless. Learn something new every day.

If they don't swap, I think RC Bladeworks makes some nice aftermarket scales.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm surprised no one else with more knowledge chimed in. Something occurred to me after posting before. I'm pretty sure the chaparral has an internal stop pin, so a blade/lockbar swap may not be as straight forward as a normal back lock. It could work, but added complexity adds possible points of complication for mods.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I can vouch for the Carbon Fiber and LW models having I believe different stop pin locations, so the blades cannot be swapped. Not sure about the other full linered (non-nested) models.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:17 am
I can vouch for the Carbon Fiber and LW models having I believe different stop pin locations, so the blades cannot be swapped. Not sure about the other full linered (non-nested) models.
I'm pretty sure there's thread here that shows the difference how the LW differs. I think I even took mine apart and posted a pic that shows the different stop pin location. I would assume the Maple and CF are the same but haven't taken my Maple one apart to check
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Maybe everyone already knows this, but it was a new discovery for me:

Scales are very easy to swap on the FRN model. Just remove the clip and all the screws and then gently pry the scales off. All the rest -- liners, lockbar, blade, pivot and washers -- will remain together as a unit, no more disassembly required. Then snap the new scales (from RC Bladeworks, for example) in place and replace the hardware. Done.

I know that doesn't answer the OP, just wanted to share.