Gayle Bradley 2 Cru-Wear vs Gayle Bradley 2 M4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which one do you prefer?

Cru-Wear
50%
M4
50%

Total votes: 72

kissmyba$$69

Gayle Bradley 2 Cru-Wear vs Gayle Bradley 2 M4

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Title is self explanatory.

Thanks to those who reply.
Men are like bank accounts...

Without a lot of money they don't generate a lot of interest
JSumm

Re: Gayle Bradley 2 Cru-Wear vs Gayle Bradley 2 M4

Post by JSumm »

I like both steels very much. Cruwear is probably my favorite. The latest releases of Cruwear seem to be very durable at the edge resisting damage. And relatively easy to sharpen. Honestly, M4 is great in that regard too. Cruwear is definitely more stain resistant than M4. So if that is important to you. I don't like either scale options so I would replace the scales personally and choose the steel you want. Or I guess would rather have the grippier G10 and dye it.

The CF on the GB2 is closer to the Watu's CF. Slightly smoother and glossier than others. Not slick, but not as grippy as G10 either. Personally, for CF I prefer something similar to the Smock or Sliverax that has a sharper texture and less gloss.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:50 am
The CF on the GB2 is closer to the Watu's CF. Slightly smoother and glossier than others. Not slick, but not as grippy as G10 either. Personally, for CF I prefer something similar to the Smock or Sliverax that has a sharper texture and less gloss.
Thanks for that comparison. I had been wondering about that. I like the CF texture on my Chap, but do not like the glossy CF on my Caly. If the GB2 CF is not like the Chap, but leans towards the Caly, I'm glad I ordered the G10 version.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If you have a later Caly 3.5 chances are it is glass smooth. I would say the Bradley CF is closer to the Chap's CF. So if you like that you are good to go! The Smock and Sliverax and I believe the Siren S90V CF (don't have one just handled it) have a sharper texture to them. I love those.
Last edited by JSumm on Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kobold

Post by kobold »

All things being equal, I would prefer CW, but I'm already very happy with the M4 version with aftermarket scales. And I just bought a Stretch 2 XL in CW, still in the honeymoon phase. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

As far as the steel it's a toss up for me. I like M4 and Cruwear. I'm perfectly happy with the scale on the orginal GB/GB2 even though I have the same CF/G10 laminate on other models. The scales have texture but aren't pocket shredders. At this point I haven't purchased the GB2 Cruwear exclusive because I'm perfectly happy with the original GB2. Plus I have two GBs. So I'm good
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Both steels are great. I prefer the cf scales and clip finish on the m4 so id go with that one
MidnightCoalCo.

Post by MidnightCoalCo. »

I have both. Prefer Cruwear a bit more over M4. However, I hate the jade handles which is why I have already taken mine apart and dyed them dark grey. Also, went ahead and adjusted my detent some to stiffen it up to my preference.
Last edited by MidnightCoalCo. on Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white Spyderco enthusiast with way too many to list. :bug-red-white
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I prefer Cruwear, but I think the natural G10 is hideous and a step down from the excellent CF laminate. So my vote is for the M4 version.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Thank you to everybody for the reply’s!
Men are like bank accounts...

Without a lot of money they don't generate a lot of interest
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

capt.carl wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:15 pm
Both steels are great. I prefer the cf scales and clip finish on the m4 so id go with that one
These are my thoughts as well. I also don’t like the jade color.

I wish they would use the clip finish of the cf GB more.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I think cruwear is a better steel for the average user- easier to sharpen, a little bit tougher and more corrosion resistant. For an enthusiast with the ability to sharpen M4 then it's harder to decide. I've owned PM2 models in Cruwear and M4, I sold the Cruwear and kept the M4.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i haven't had either yet, but i'm positive i'd love the design with magnacut. even s35vn or something like that would be good for me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I want the cruwear one, but I can't justify to import it. I had the M4 and M4 and me just don't mesh well... It will stain and develop rust spots in no time.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I love CW so I made a frankenknife…switched the hardware off the M4 and got some brown burlap micarta scales from SDK then sold the M4 on r/knifeswap…it actually looked pretty good with the CW hardware and I threw in the jade scales for shi.. and giggles 😉
anycal

Post by anycal »

Both steels are well represented in my collection and I like them both. And I do have the M4 GB2 with micarta scales. Great knife, frequently in my rotation.

If I didn't have a GB2, and both came out at the same time, I'd go for the CRUWEAR. I really don't care for the scales of the M4 model. Both the texture and the lamination.
Peter
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have the GB1 but would pick the GB2 in M4 of the two.

The old M4 is hard to sharpen myth still gets banged around, but compared to several newer steels it’s a breeze. M4 wins on edge retention over Cruwear.

But either steels is a winner in a GB2 it’s is basically what you prefer.

Zwear GB2 would take my money :smiling-heart-eyes
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
LLknives

Post by LLknives »

I like the new Cruwear Bradley quite a bit. The only thing is that I wish it had a deep carry clip. Any suggestions? I didn’t know if I could just buy a generic Spyderco clip for it.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear LLknives:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

LLknives wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:31 am
I like the new Cruwear Bradley quite a bit. The only thing is that I wish it had a deep carry clip. Any suggestions? I didn’t know if I could just buy a generic Spyderco clip for it.
I put a Lynch Northwest clip on mine. His standard Spyderco clip. Choose a finish of your choice. Great guy to work with! I have more of these clips than anything else.
https://www.lynchnw.com/spyderco-standa ... anium-clip

My favorite clip is probably MXG Gear's Manix 2 clips. I have put them on PM2s and Endelas with aftermarket scales. I believe I even had it on my GB2 for awhile. I believe it fits the standard 3-hole Spyderco pattern. What I like about this one is it is smaller and doesn't overhang most scales. Also feel very nice in a standard grip.
https://mxggear.com/products/custom-mad ... ix-2-g10-1
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005