New Steel Testing Method! My wife and the cupboard.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: New Steel Testing Method! My wife and the cupboard.

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:16 am
Bolster I wrote down some emotions I was feeling. I mean what better to graphically represent than emotions right. I noticed there was a point where things escalated.

LOLOL, gasping for air over here. That's exactly the kind of graphic that will get you published, bring you lasting notoriety, and possibly even tenure. For the love of all that's holy, get it published before Claudine Gay sees it, and claims it as her own.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well not much to report. My wife has either quit the construction crew she was moonlighting with or has picked up other hobbies beside batoning our granite countertops. She has been working on a large theater project for our daughter, so I had high hopes of seeing what possibilities and exciting edge drama that could create, but apparently K390 had other plans. There are definitely shiny dull spots around and close to the tip. I could only find one chip/deformation/fold/crappy spot on the edge.

Also, what appears to be some corrosion spots. I am sure if I do not immediately do something about this corrosion then next week all that will be left of this knife to review is the FRN.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

Jeff, this is great!! I'm eager to see how this goes!
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:16 am
Bolster I wrote down some emotions I was feeling. I mean what better to graphically represent than emotions right. I noticed there was a point where things escalated.

Gigantic belly laughs from the graph!! 🤣🤣🤣
cjk

Post by cjk »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:05 am

My wife loves an SE blade as (and I believe this to be verbatim) “the wiggles hide where I’ve broken bits off”. Initially I thought she had done something horrific to the cast of the Australian kids TV show, but then she showed me her violated SE Tenacious. I’m not sure which was worse.

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.😂
We actually saw the Wiggles live close to a decade ago. As a dad, I enjoyed them a lot for a kids program.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

cjk wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:29 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:05 am

My wife loves an SE blade as (and I believe this to be verbatim) “the wiggles hide where I’ve broken bits off”. Initially I thought she had done something horrific to the cast of the Australian kids TV show, but then she showed me her violated SE Tenacious. I’m not sure which was worse.

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.😂
We actually saw the Wiggles live close to a decade ago. As a dad, I enjoyed them a lot for a kids program.
They are/were some incredibly talented human beings. It blew my mind when I found out that Emma (the yellow wiggle) was not only a talented dancer and singer, but could also play the drums like a boss and had a Masters, several diplomas and is casually working on her PhD 🤯 Colour me impressed!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

"Testing" is boring over here. K390 is still going strong. A little bit of edge malfunction, but not much to report. One thing is for sure, I like not having to sharpen her knife all the time. And she likes it being sharp most of the time. I'll try and swap it out, but there may be a protest.

However, we were doing some set building over the weekend for my daughter's theater class. I was outside in 18 degree weather doing minor framing work while my wife was inside with coffee doing some craft work. She came outside to borrow a knife. I fortunately had two. I gave her my Serrated Rock Jumper that had a fresh edge on it. Below is what I received back. I first thought maybe one of the other parents also had a Serrated Rock Jumper and they just got mixed up. They were supposedly cutting holes in cardboard? Apparently against concrete. I have no idea. It is harder to see in the pic, but it was a large section missing. Took a lot of grinding to get a Plain Edge section back to the tip. Probably would have been easier to cut in a new serration.

On a side note and completely subjective unlike the advanced testing techniques above, so far VG-10 serrations for me have resulted in no damaged teeth. My serrated K390 has already loss a couple of tips of the small serrations. Basically part missing and part bent to the back. Took a bit to grind off the back pieces that were flopped over. I thought I had some pictures of those, but I am not the test subject here. I was a bit surprised at that thinking K390 is tougher. But maybe there is something to VG-10 being so populer in serrated for so many years. The only thing I notice with my RJ and Endela SE is the Plain Edge section needs to be touched up often.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Always a good read and a laugh when this thread gets updated. Looking forward to future installments!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I missed a lot of replies ! Thanks for that Jeff, both interesting and hilarious.

I'm sure this is gonna become a classic.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I have been enjoying going down a pretend path inventing whimsical things your wife might actually be doing in secret that could cause the damage we are seeing here.

For example, when she borrowed your Rock Jumper and pulled ‘crafts’ out of thin air as justification for borrowing it, in actuality she was going out front to knife fight a grizzly bear 1 on 1 that was harassing passers by. When you put the edge damage in those terms I’m frankly blown away by the toughness that humble VG10 can exhibit in such an extreme situation. I’m also a little intimidated by your wife.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

On further reflection I feel your wife and her knife proclivities would make for an entertaining children’s book series, charting her off piste adventures with a smorgasbord of different steels in a sort of Harry Potter meets John Wick vein.

Don’t judge me too harshly for this nonsense - I’m midway through a Risk Management Officer training course and am barely clinging to my faculties while facing down death by PowerPoint.

🫠
- Al

Dream knives -
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I too am a little bit intimidated by my wife Al.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is a great thread! It also reinforces why I only let my wife use cheap knives!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:07 pm
On further reflection I feel your wife and her knife proclivities would make for an entertaining children’s book series, charting her off piste adventures with a smorgasbord of different steels.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:42 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:07 pm
On further reflection I feel your wife and her knife proclivities would make for an entertaining children’s book series, charting her off piste adventures with a smorgasbord of different steels.
I enjoyed that picture a great deal! Have you ever considered a career in children’s illustration? JK Rowling had better watch her ar#e!
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Although we might have to do an English and an American version - we call sidewalks ‘paths’ back in Blighty! What what toodlepip and all that!
- Al

Dream knives -
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

How I could have missed this thread! I am all for science, love this, please continue to keep us posted.

Perhaps Spyderco could "lend" you some interesting knife in some interesting steel for the science purpose. I think that would be well deserved.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well K390 wins again. It is unstoppable. But as they say in Science, "The show must go on!"

I went back to the Polestar since she said that was her favorite. However, after showing my wife a Wharncliffe Serrated RJ, she now says she likes the lock back the best. For crying out loud, I almost bought the Tenacious in M4 to give her "better" performance than the BD1N, and keep the with liner lock theme. Now I do not know what to think of her preferences. I should have charted out preferences in my log book.

Next up is VG-10 Wharncliffe in serrations. Yes I know she almost destroyed this knife a month ago, but last I checked I removed all the concrete in our kitchen when I renovated it. So shall we see.

I present to you her new favorite lock type the Lock Back! Just remember little RJ, your sacrifice will provide vital information. Godspeed.

- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

🫣

I don’t know if I can watch - the RJ SE is one of my favourite work knives. This has started to feel like taking a beloved old dog to the vets after its legs gave up. I hope you’ve got some tasty soft stemmed plants and maybe a bit of thick rope on hand for a last meal for it before you have to mercifully dispatch the poor creature.
- Al

Dream knives -
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:22 pm
🫣

I don’t know if I can watch - the RJ SE is one of my favourite work knives. This has started to feel like taking a beloved old dog to the vets after its legs gave up. I hope you’ve got some tasty soft stemmed plants and maybe a bit of thick rope on hand for a last meal for it before you have to mercifully dispatch the poor creature.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005