New Steel Testing Method! My wife and the cupboard.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomanyquestions

Re: New Steel Testing Method! My wife and the cupboard.

Post by toomanyquestions »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:25 pm
Excellent idea Jeff ! I love this test, you just need to own a cupboard, and a wife, and the deed is done :open-grin
I would like this if there was a button! ;)
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:31 pm
For all the folks who have been marching around this forum with protest signs reading: "DOWN WITH CATRA; DOWN WITH CHARPY; DOWN WITH ROPES; WE DEMAND REAL-WORLD TESTING NOW!" ...well, here it is, folks! Served up to you by the notorious Mrs. JSumm herself.
Is anyone saying these tests are pointless? I've not made that argument but I will say that they don't often mean what people think they mean. RC numbers don't mean what people think they do, at most they should be used as a means to gauge (as a manufacturer) whether the heat treat has been executed correctly on a given knife relative to what is expected in general. Higher RC doesn't make a better knife, contrary to what many here would believe... all things being equal of course. Many would argue that you SHOULD heat treat a knife to achieve a given RC value. This is never a good idea, you should heat treat to achieve different properties of the steel for the given knife application and the RC is what it is with those properties.

The problem with these tests is that people often don't understand what they prove or in many cases DO NOT prove directly. Again, without someone who has attempted to show that these models are valid in general use then great care has to be used with extrapolating what you can really take away from all this data as it likely means very little in actual use. Case in point, I see that BD1N knife the OP shows and I think it did pretty well all things considered. How would you expect something like S90V at 65 RC to hold up with random non-knife person abuse stuff? I'd have that knife cutting like new again in a few minutes on a coarse stone. I don't see anything serious damage-wise that would suggest it is a poor choice of steel.

The funny thing here is that the very thing that is often suggested as making a superior thing in a knife steel, ie. excessive carbide volume, would be the very thing that would make any steel less suitable for the type of use in the kitchen that the OP is displaying. I'd expect MORE damage present for that type use. BD1N is a medium carbide steel, anecdotally these types of examples actually go a great deal towards proving that this is a very sensible choice of steel for many users. Can anybody explain to me how added carbide volume would lead to a better outcome with this example in the OP? I don't actually see any real chips in the pics, btw. It looks more like denting/rolling, which is exactly what is expected behavior in this class of steel in general.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Exactly. Wait what?

Definitely chipping but very micro level. After my photo lessons and the kids go to sleep whatever time that is, I'll try and get some better close up shots. It could be denting where a small piece also happened to fall out.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:37 pm
random non-knife person

Are you suggesting that JSumm's data would be more accurate if he randomized his selection of wives?

😯

As interesting as this sounds, Mrs. JSumm might not approve of the testing methodology.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I tried to single this one spot out. I believe in the knife testing world they call this Trepidare from Latin. Meaning the Vanadium carbide is running away in fear and anxiety of what the user is getting ready to do with it. This is long term testing, so I will get some better equipment for pictures.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:16 pm
random non-knife person

Are you suggesting that JSumm's data would be more accurate if he randomized his selection of wives?

😯

As interesting as this sounds, Mrs. JSumm might not approve of the testing methodology.
No I'm interested. Tell me more about this method.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:

LOLOLOL
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

That’s impressive for just a day or two.

Kudos to Mrs. JSumm.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I like the premise of this thread. After being fairly impressed by BD1N, I turned my Cat into the house knife that's always available for my girlfriend to use when she needs to do knife things. Just to see how it would fair. After the first use she commented it was a lot sharper than the box cutter she normally grabs for.

So far it's been going on 3 weeks and after that first time using it, neither of us have been able to find it. Though I was told "I'm pretty sure I didn't throw it away accidentally" so at least we know definitely for a fact it didn't get thrown away accidentally.
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:41 pm
Exactly. Wait what?

Definitely chipping but very micro level. After my photo lessons and the kids go to sleep whatever time that is, I'll try and get some better close up shots. It could be denting where a small piece also happened to fall out.
If you believe that it is chipping microscopically have you tried to verify this under some form of magnification? I'm not saying it's not possible but everything I have seen firsthand and secondhand with this steel suggests it's very difficult to actually chip and it tends to roll or deform on contact with hard materials. I accidentally smacked the edge of my Z-cut at something like 6 DPS on the edge of my stone countertop and there was no signs of chipping though it did dent the edge slightly. As I said, this is the exact steel from Spyderco I would put in the hands of someone who I expect might do silly things with it for that reason.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The last few images are of K390. I have already straightened up the edge of BD1N.

I tried to get some better pictures last night, but the kids were very distracting and not at all helpful in the scientific process. Plus, my robo vacuum kept bumping into my foot. The kitchen may be one of the hardest places for any scientific control. The amount of shipping and goods that go through there not to mention the hands and feet that have been or touched god knows what throughout the day, it is difficult to imagine that we also eat and entertain in this place.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:15 am
So far it's been going on 3 weeks and after that first time using it, neither of us have been able to find it. Though I was told "I'm pretty sure I didn't throw it away accidentally" so at least we know definitely for a fact it didn't get thrown away accidentally.
This is the kind of scientific thinking we need in this testing method. You narrowed down the possibilities and we can rest assured that no knife was accidentally discarded. Maybe malicously, but definitely not accidentally pretty sureably.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Donut

Post by Donut »

"Some might say" that a utility blade would be best for this type of stuff.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JSumm, this cracks me up. Does your wife have a secret job cutting dry wall and scraping old plaster?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:21 am
JSumm, this cracks me up. Does your wife have a secret job cutting dry wall and scraping old plaster?
Seriously! I have no idea what is going on in there. I may have to install a camera to add to this testing methodology.

I have cut a lot of drywall, but only once with a pocket knife. That was because I was in a big box store that will let you buy half a sheet and not a single worker around had a utility blade on them. But even then, even then my edge wasn't bad at all.

We will figure this out together though. There has to be a ranking of best cupboard knife steels.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Some people get so technical, it really sucks the fun out of it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:52 am
I tried to get some better pictures last night, but the kids were very distracting and not at all helpful in the scientific process. Plus, my robo vacuum kept bumping into my foot. The kitchen may be one of the hardest places for any scientific control. The amount of shipping and goods that go through there not to mention the hands and feet that have been or touched god knows what throughout the day, it is difficult to imagine that we also eat and entertain in this place.

This thread is the best. Nothing better than getting ongoing laboratory notes while the experiment is in progress.

Regards the children, I've found the best way to keep my sanity is to consider the children as subjects of my experiments. I've also tried this method on the wife, with disastrous results, so I don't recommend that at all. Wives really resent being experimented on, I've discovered, though I've no idea why. It was only an attempt to expand the base of knowledge, after all. (Even that explanation fell flat.)

At any rate, I highly approve of the methodology utilized in this experiment. I've brought it to the attention of the Nobel Prize committee and they were at a loss for words, which I take to be a good sign.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

RustyIron wrote:
random non-knife person

😯

Too hilarious.

Now following this delicious thread.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I suspect Dee Dee may be testing when everyone is asleep . 🤪 Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Grants and donations are pouring in like monsoon season in India. We are upgrading our testing equipment. Only small dings/chips/burrs/anomalies on the K390 at this point but I only have 2.5 days of testing. My wife is out of town and the kids are only playing the finger game with the knife. I'll probably not update for a couple of weeks until she can get some usage in.

Bummed that I cleaned up the edge on the BD1N, but that is how it goes in science sometimes, so my colleagues tell me. You just get bummed. Lots of bumming around.

**Edit - below is the K390
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005