What Spyderco if you were in the Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What Spyderco if you were in the Military?

Post by Doc Dan »

In honor those of us who served in the military, I thought I'd make this thread. If you were in the military still, or are in the military, which Spyderco would you want to carry and why?

I think I'd want an Enuff Salt and an Endura, or perhaps a Moran and an Endura. The Enuff Salt and Moran are light weight and the military already loads a ton of stuff on their people. Building shelters, cutting roots, opening metal cans, and etc. are normal fare. The Endura is a good sized folder that carries small in the pocket. It could get put to the same abuse, but it is easy to carry.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mrj

Re: What Spyderco if you were in the Military?

Post by Mrj »

A 15v shaman and any larger salt knife.
MRj “Weak things break!”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this pair!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Danke

Post by Danke »

I think an Endura would be my pick also after casting my mind back to how we treated knives.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

From my service experience, a pacific salt se is about perfect. I carried a Mariner se and it took a beating and could always cut
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Somebody once asked Sal a similar question…
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Good multi-tool
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Ohh..
It’s been a while, but I think my priorities would be pretty similar to my current outdoor and SAR situation.
I’d want a utilitarian folding knife that could do a variety of tasks from food prep to assisting with first aid work and be as lightweight, unnoticeable and maintenance free as possible when not in use. A Salt 2 would be very close to a favorite folder choice. Very light and compact, yet large enough for most folding knife tasks. Unfortunately it’s just a tad too small for easy manipulation with certain gloves. So to cover all bases I’d probably go with a PE ffg pac salt. CE if I had the option.

The fixed blade has to cover everything else, including the tactical aspect, so here I’d probably opt for the Street Beat or Street Bowie. Blacked out, a substantial finger guard that improves safety when pushed into sketchy situations and Bowie style clip point that has a pretty significant track record for …survival. I haven’t had the pleasure of trying either, but I imagine I’d run into the same dilemma as with the folders. Intuitively I think the Street Beat should suffice for almost every fixed blade task, except when it doesn’t.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military camo / DLC & Vic Explorer SAK. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Maybe one of these. Speaking for the Air Force 🤓
MRj “Weak things break!”
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

LC 200n Salt SE . I'm not a stainless guy but I recall being outdoors and wet for weeks at a time in the army. Weighed down like mules as well. I didn't have time for sharpening and probably would not have carried any sharpening equipment.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I carried SE Endura’s while I was in and lost all of them, and I would choose the same again.

It was the perfect gateway Spyderco that got me hooked. Not too expensive, a work horse and plenty rust proof in ocean.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Left hand Military for me , second choice would be Pacific Salt SE Black . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

Probably a H1/H2 SE Pacific Salt. Tough, light, good-sized, highly useful, easy to maintain, and not too "cool-looking" or expensive.

I've heard from a few guys who served that, in the military, nice, expensive/highly sought-out knives sometimes have a tendency to "grow legs and walk away."

Jim
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

That's a no-brainer for me! Military DLC, camo or black.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

No doubt a Spyderco Darn Dao. If I was going into battle and my rifle failed me, I'd want another weapon ASAP.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Military with black blade or SE Pack Salt with black blade.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Blades

Post by Blades »

I carried the same fully serrated G2 blade steel Endura from 1992(I think) until 2016. I almost lost it to airport security while passing through Germany in 1996. My wife and I vacationed in Colorado and we visited the Holy Place in Golden. I bought a fully serrated Salt 2 to replace it in 2016. I still carry the Salt 2(along with my CPM-M4 Military and PM2), and the G2 lives an easy life in a drawer. I was on active duty from 1986-1997.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’d probably carry something like what I carried during 1968-1969 (as here, while an Artillery FO with the ARVN 36th Ranger Battalion).

Just like one below, it’s a Camillus fixed-blade (which quickly replaced the ridiculously-limited Gerber Mark II I had naively bought in a stateside PX).

I beat the **** out of mine, stabbing (C-rats, not people), prying, digging, and sawing, as well as slashing (light vegetation, not people) and cutting. And it kept coming back for more.

I would not carry a Spydie folder into combat as my only knife. Too delicate and finicky for combat’s brutish demands.

Based on my experience with an Enuff Salt, I would consider carrying an Enuff2 drop-point, provided the blade’s thickness is carried almost to its point, provided the blade is SE if H2 or PE if MagnaCut, and provided the handle and blade are a dull black.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I don’t like military’s, but, g10 calypso.
:bug-red-white