WHERE’S THE BEEF??? And the UKPK Wharncliffe to slice it!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

WHERE’S THE BEEF??? And the UKPK Wharncliffe to slice it!!!!

Post by cycleguy »

Wondering if there has been much discussion about a Wharncliffe UKPK and how the vibe is for such a knife?

Keep hearing it repeated over and over, Wharncliffe is best as a smaller package. With the Delica Wharncliffe being discontinued there appears to be room to add more Wharncliffe options.

A blade originated in England should be a no brainer matchup with the UKPK :zany

Or is there something inherent in the design of the UKPK that isn’t conducive to this??

Sign me up …. In for G10 British Racing Green and ….. M4 or S90V.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Manixguy@1994

Re: WHERE’S THE BEEF??? And the UKPK Wharncliffe to slice it!!!!

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:12 am
Wondering if there has been much discussion about a Wharncliffe UKPK and how the vibe is for such a knife?

Keep hearing it repeated over and over, Wharncliffe is best as a smaller package. With the Delica Wharncliffe being discontinued there appears to be room to add more Wharncliffe options.

A blade originated in England should be a no brainer matchup with the UKPK :zany

Or is there something inherent in the design of the UKPK that isn’t conducive to this??

CG
I agree! What better knife out there to pay homage to the Wharncliffe than the UKPK ? I would buy one without hesitation. MG2.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

While I enjoy the Q Ball with its wharncliffe styled blade, and love the quirky white ceramic ball lock, it can sometimes be a little bit fiddly to unlock.

A slipjoint penknife with this blade would be excellent and I think I'd go for one, providing it had a G-10 handle. I didn't bother buying the drop point UKPK as I thought it too similar to the leaf I already own but this design is different enough to probably be a purchase for me if it ever got off the ground.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I find it kind of surprising to see requests for wharncliffes after Spyderco just discontinued so many of them due to slow sales. No, getting rid of wharncliffes in their lineup did not just open up room for more wharncliffes. They don’t sell well enough for Spyderco to justify having so many in their catalog.
-Nick :bug-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:12 am

CG
Only the serrated wharnie Delica in VG10 has been discotinued and the one in K390. Spyderco released too many wharnies in the same time hence the low sale numbers IMO. That being said I would buy a wharnie UKPK in a heart beat.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:24 am
I find it kind of surprising to see requests for wharncliffes after Spyderco just discontinued so many of them due to slow sales... They don’t sell well enough for Spyderco to justify having so many in their catalog.

While I'm not certain, of course, I think this is a style of blade which would prove far more popular if people had the opportunity to them out first hand.

Unfortunately, the way of the World these days means that an awful lot of people just won't take the risk of splashing out a lot of money on something unfamiliar, and maybe a bit weird looking, to them. That's a real pity, I think as they are so good at pointy and powerful tips cuts, opening parcels, etc. And my main job for them... In a smaller size, they're a fantastic deep pocket carry knife for sharpening pencils!

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I love the Wharncliffe blade shape and don’t have a UKPK so I’d be game for one…my Salt 2 wharnie lc200n SE is one of my most carried knives 👏
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Roefisher wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:06 pm
Mushroom wrote:
I find it kind of surprising to see requests for wharncliffes after Spyderco just discontinued so many of them due to slow sales... They don’t sell well enough for Spyderco to justify having so many in their catalog.

While I'm not certain, of course, I think this is a style of blade which would prove far more popular if people had the opportunity to them out first hand.

Unfortunately, the way of the World these days means that an awful lot of people just won't take the risk of splashing out a lot of money on something unfamiliar, and maybe a bit weird looking, to them. That's a real pity, I think as they are so good at pointy and powerful tips cuts, opening parcels, etc. And my main job for them... In a smaller size, they're a fantastic deep pocket carry knife for sharpening pencils!

Mark
I completely agree, you put it very well. There definitely seems to be a general reluctance or at least hesitation from the knife buying market when it comes to wharncliffes. I personally love wharncliffe blades but the prospect of Spyderco adding more is like fighting a losing battle at the moment.

The Urban Wharnie is one my favorites wharncliffes from Spyderco. A UKPK wharncliffe would definitely be feasible as a design but it’s difficult to know if it would see enough sales to make it a production knife.
-Nick :bug-red
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

Looking at my UKPK it appears, to me, that to do it correctly it would require new
molds or shortening the blade a bit. The blade tip overlaps the clip screw, almost
dead center.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Might not be a good solution but I'm sure you can mod a Delica wharncliffe to become a slipjoint without much effort :') Will have a weak walk 'n' talk tho
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Mushroom wrote:
I find it kind of surprising to see requests for wharncliffes after Spyderco just discontinued so many of them due to slow sales. No, getting rid of wharncliffes in their lineup did not just open up room for more wharncliffes. They don’t sell well enough for Spyderco to justify having so many in their catalog.
So many of these threads are Goldilocks requests. E.g. “could Spyderco make this thing they already make except a different handle material/handle color/steel/blade shape/blade length/country of origin”. Those people aren’t buying wharncliffes because they want them in Magnacut or in micarta or whatever.

I’m honestly amazed at how many products and variations Spyderco sustains.

But agree, wharncliffes don’t sell.
Flash

Post by Flash »

There was talk about a wharncliffe UKPK on a U.K. based forum earlier in the year.

In fact it was Sal himself who was asking for input about the design of this model. Namely what people’s preferences and thoughts were on blade design specifically in relation to the thumb ramp and the corresponding hump on the spine (similar in profile to the UKPK rescue) or without a hump / thumb ramp and a smaller hole (similar in profile to the Swayback) to keep it slimmer profile when folded.

I think the general consensus preferred by the participating members was the slimmer humpless/ramp less design of a true wharncliffe.

I personally would be excited to see this and hope it will be something Sal could facilitate at Golden in the coming years.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Wharnie UKPK and Chapparall has been suggested numerous times. I think Mushroom is correct that they just discontinued a bunch including the RJ. I don't see them making more unless as a dealer requested sprint. Marius, I hope you're right it's just the SE, but I thought it was most of the Wharnie models. Hope I'm wrong.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Oh man, I would be absolutely “in” for a wharncliffe ukpk. I’ve owned a few Urbans with the same blade shape, and the extra length you get from the ukpk design would be fun.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’d be in for a Wharncliffe UKPK - that thing would be a slicing machine!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Wharncliffe UK PK and Urban... and squeak as well - I love them all :D
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Another thought would be an exclusive from HH . I would hide that one from my granddaughter! 🤣 MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Yes I'd take a G10 salt wharnie from HH. I'd lean PE LC200n but I am a reasonable man.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Man, a red G-10 wharncliffe UKPK would be the business! I love the red handle on the leaf one I own and this would make some matching pair.

If HH would have went for that recently rather than the drop point after the original leaf, we'd have two very different penknives. But, in all fairness, I'm not 100% sure they'd sell enough HH model wharncliffes to justify an order? I'd like to think they would, cos their red limited edition knives usually sell like hot cakes.

Mark
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wharnie, sheepsfoot or lambsfoot - I’m in!

There was wharncliffe Urban, originally, wasn’t there?