Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderJunky

Re: Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Post by SpyderJunky »

...double post deleted.
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SpyderJunky wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm
SpyderJunky wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm
Bingo!

Anybody know what angle this bevel is ground at?
Got this to go with it...
We'll start on the shoulders of the bevel wit first sharpenings...

20240328_170543_copy_4000x2252.jpg
I can check the edge bevel on mine later. I imagine 15-17dps like most Spyderco's. Galley V is 10dps, so you'll be working those shoulders for a long time before you get to the edge.
I figured the bevels were probably the same as their other production knives... But I think I would like them narrower for cleaning fish.
I also purchase some of the compatible CBN rods for the gauntlet to help me along...
I used to have a little wet stone that stood up at fourteen degree and I put a couple of quarters under the end of the box to make it even steeper. It worked real well but I can't find the dang thing...
I think i'm going to attach my galley v to a 2×4 block longer than the rods so I can take it to a fish cleaning table with me. I may even add some grooves lengthwise to rubber band the rods down and i'm going to also drill a couple holes for the steel rods from my sharp maker to protect my hands. My sharpmaker is screwed down to a wooden bench and I use both hands on the knife so the steel rods are not necessary there.
And I have another Catcherman in the pipeline so I can mainly experiment with one before I alter the other.
I would appreciate any future feedback on the bevel angle though if you get around to it...
Thank you kindly.
Also interested in any info or experience. anybody has about taking that LC200N down to 10°... Wondering if it will stand up to being that thin without rolling or chipping.
The cleaning tables I use at various places run from wood to starboard to stainless.
This place is a deep well of knowledge and maybe I could get some feedback...
Thanks in advance for that!
Tight lines!
Just a heads up on the Gauntlet vs the Galley V rods (other than the length difference) I have noticed a slight angle difference as well (measured with a bubble level and protractor). Maybe this is due to them not fitting as snugly in the Galley V slots as the GV stones. Not huge maybe a degree or two, for me the Gauntlet CBN were sharpening at around 11-12dps, the galley V 10dps. So even after reprofiling with the Gauntlet cbn in the galley V, when I switched to the fine GalleyV rods, I was hitting the shoulders again. It's easy enough to just angle the blade a little to compensate, but just be aware.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

How well are these cutting out in the wild? I’m thinking about picking one up since the blade stock is so thin! Should be a light saber!

Hamilton
fixall

Post by fixall »

hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:13 pm
How well are these cutting out in the wild? I’m thinking about picking one up since the blade stock is so thin! Should be a light saber!

Hamilton
It will be another two or three weeks before I can test it on trout…. But it goes through receipt paper and thin magazine paper like a hot knife through butter. It’s an absolute laser!
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

fixall wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:06 pm
hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:13 pm

Hamilton
It will be another two or three weeks before I can test it on trout…. But it goes through receipt paper and thin magazine paper like a hot knife through butter. It’s an absolute laser!
Thanks for the feedback! Would openly welcome others comments as well!

Hamilton
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I just got back from a trip to Florida where I got to do a lot of surf fishing. I absolutely killed the Pampano in Destin, FL. I have had an OG Catcherman that was just collecting dust as I always just default to my regular fixed blade AFTCO 7” filet knife, so I decided to see how it actually worked as a filet knife. As always, the utilitarian beauty of a Spyderco knife shined bright. It outperformed my fixed blade as it is a bit thinner and sharper. It performed flawlessly and I have now decided to ditch carrying a full fixed blade filet knife in my tackle box. Takes up too much room and adds no benefit. So, all those who are concerned about its actual use, don’t be. The stock is thin enough for a very clean filet and the added SE at the heel of the blade is an added benefit when pushing thru ribs and spines of fish. I thought it might get in the way, but it didn’t. I just received my new Catcherman LC200N and it will be my new go to filet knife. I fish a lot and clean a lot of fish and this knife works.

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

This knife floored me! It's HUGE! I love the steel and the build quality. It's a great deal for only 112.00!
Question about LC200n, what sort of edge does it like the best? Coarse or polished?
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Well that was a pleasant surprise.
Ordered March 28th delivered 2nd April. 5 days..! Knives Ship Free colour me impressed.
This is the fastest an order from the U.S. has ever reached me in NZ.
The Catcherman is impressive too. ;)
I have never owned or held an older FRN model, so it’s nice to see the changes wrought by C.Q.I over the years.
Thanks to everyone who asked for this sprint and thanks to Sal and :bug-red for making it happen.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Incredible knife, enough to make someone take up fishing.
holokai

Post by holokai »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:04 pm
…so I decided to see how it actually worked as a filet knife…

…I fish a lot and clean a lot of fish and this knife works…
That is some nice knife work! I hope my Catcherman magically increases my fillet skills to anywhere remotely near your level! Looking forward to your feedback on the new version.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

After playing with my Catcherman for a few days, I decided to order a second one. Fishing is such a big part of my life and one of the first activities I can remember doing. Even though I've owned Spydercos for a long time, I wasn't in the "know" when previous versions of the Catcherman were released. Combining two of my passions is great!

I plan to put this knife to hard use and have the second one in reserves or just lighter use.

Now if we can just get a sprint run of the blunt tipped Caspian . . .
grimlock

Post by grimlock »

20240408_192301.jpg
My catcherman came with a 15 dps edge. It is lightweight, with a nice flex to the blade. The fit and finish are really nice. I have done a little food prep with it and it worked quite well for that. I hope to try it out on some bluegills and crappie soon. I think it has found a new home in my tackle bag.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Considering the price, this has got to be one of the better Spyderco values, right?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:11 am
Considering the price, this has got to be one of the better Spyderco values, right?
It's a pretty good price for sure these days.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I bought this OG Catcherman back in the mid-90s for, I believe, $49.95, and used the heck out of it for many years. It's easily my most abused knife, left in the tackle box or ice chest with saltwater and fish blood on it for months at a time. Action is still pretty good, and it sharpens up as well as it ever did, or at least good enough. I was never very enamored of it because I prefer fixies for filleting, and it's bigger than I want for an all-around fishing folder.

And yet, I just ordered one of the sprint runs. Couldn't resist any longer!

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:39 pm
I bought this OG Catcherman back in the mid-90s for, I believe, $49.95, and used the heck out of it for many years. It's easily my most abused knife, left in the tackle box or ice chest with saltwater and fish blood on it for months at a time. Action is still pretty good, and it sharpens up as well as it ever did, or at least good enough. I was never very enamored of it because I prefer fixies for filleting, and it's bigger than I want for an all-around fishing folder.

Love the looks that show real, honest use and it clearly can be seen that your oldie has been sharpened a lot! (For use on fish: How do the now mellowed out serrations work for you?)

Has this old version a sabre or a hollow sabre grind?
If "just" sabre: The ffg of the sprint should norticably enhance the slicing performance, perhaps you'd then like to share how they compare...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:16 pm
Coastal wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:39 pm

Love the looks that show real, honest use and it clearly can be seen that your oldie has been sharpened a lot! (For use on fish: How do the now mellowed out serrations work for you?)

Has this old version a sabre or a hollow sabre grind?
If "just" sabre: The ffg of the sprint should norticably enhance the slicing performance, perhaps you'd then like to share how they compare...
Hi, Wartstein, you would really love the looks of this knife if you saw it in person. The pic doesn't begin to show the extent of the corrosion!

Anyway, it has a hollow grind. To be honest, I haven't used the knife in years, but I do remember that the serrations cut through the bones of baitfish just fine. I don't consider the Catcherman a true filleting knife, though it'll obviously do the job. For quickly processing small fish for cut bait, though, it's excellent. I'm recovering from carpal tunnel surgery right now, but I'll be back to fishing soon. I plan to compare my new Catcherman and Stretch 2 XL Salt SE in the bait-processing role, but I'll probably leave filetting duties to my trusty Rapalas and Wusthofs.
TABA68

Post by TABA68 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:20 am
aicolainen wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:41 pm
If I can get one, it looks like the price will be the equivalent of USD 112 + VAT + processing = about USD 160. Hopefully I can avoid the shipping fee, but then I will have to buy something else as well, to get above the free shipping threshold. So not exactly free shipping :)
Still not that much more than CA, which is nice.

You think we won't be able to get one right here in Europe?!
Now in France: https://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com ... 65126.html
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

TABA68 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 am

Now in France: https://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com ... 65126.html
****, couldn't resist, ordered as a food prep knife.