Future Rockjumpers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Future Rockjumpers?

Post by JoviAl »

I really love the design of the Rockjumper and have been holding out for a K390 version. Imagine my dismay to see it go onto the disco’d list 😱

Does anybody know if there is a fancy pants steel variant in the works, or should I quickly pick up a VG10 one? I know there’s a K390 leaf jumper, but I’m a huge fan of Wharncliffes.

Al (not A.I. 🤖)
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Matus

Re: Future Rockjumpers?

Post by Matus »

Honestly - if you want a k390 wharncliffe, then you better get one of those that are either still available, or were recently discontinued. Chances for a k390 Rock Jumper are very, very slim.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I already have a K390 Wharncliffe dragonfly and it is magnificent, but the Rockjumper is everything I look for in a knife except VG10.
- Al

Dream knives -
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i made a thread suggesting this a while back, saying lower sales probably had more to do with the steel than the design. it's not even that the steel is bad either... it's just that there are too many choices that are similar in better steels. that thread was when sal hinted at a k390 leafjumper, but not a rockjumper. then the disco list came out and almost all the wharncliffe models got the axe. it seems the wharncliffe is just not worth the production costs for spyderco to keep around in comparison to other models.

basically, if you think it's the perfect design, you should get it and deal with vg10. if you need a different steel, try a delica, endela, or endura wharncliffe before they're gone. i wanted a rockjumper, but i really like my 20cv delica wharncliffe.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:19 am
i made a thread suggesting this a while back, saying lower sales probably had more to do with the steel than the design. it's not even that the steel is bad either... it's just that there are too many choices that are similar in better steels. that thread was when sal hinted at a k390 leafjumper, but not a rockjumper. then the disco list came out and almost all the wharncliffe models got the axe. it seems the wharncliffe is just not worth the production costs for spyderco to keep around in comparison to other models.

basically, if you think it's the perfect design, you should get it and deal with vg10. if you need a different steel, try a delica, endela, or endura wharncliffe before they're gone. i wanted a rockjumper, but i really like my 20cv delica wharncliffe.
So…you’re saying I should buy a Rockjumper in VG10 *and* a K390 Leafjumper? 🤔 This makes a lot of sense 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
Matus

Post by Matus »

Maybe consider the Rockjumper with SE edge if that would fit your use. Adding a k390 Leafjumper would not be a mistake either.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

To be completely honest I’ve had less than stellar performance out of VG10 at work, so I’m a bit ‘once bitten twice shy’ about buying more of it. It seems to rust in the blink of an eye and doesn’t exactly blow me away with its edge retention. Then again I love me some H1 in SE, so maybe SE is the deal breaker for VG10 too 🤷🏼‍♂️ it’s a shame postage from the USA is half again the cost of the whole knife.
- Al

Dream knives -
benben

Post by benben »

I have one in serrated VG-10, it’s an excellent knife, and so easy to touch up!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:01 am
So…you’re saying I should buy a Rockjumper in VG10 *and* a K390 Leafjumper? 🤔 This makes a lot of sense 👍🏻
i can't tell you how to live your life, but maybe that's the right answer.
;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:54 am
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:01 am
i can't tell you how to live your life, but maybe that's the right answer.
;)
🤣 well played!
- Al

Dream knives -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:22 am
To be completely honest I’ve had less than stellar performance out of VG10 at work, so I’m a bit ‘once bitten twice shy’ about buying more of it. It seems to rust in the blink of an eye and doesn’t exactly blow me away with its edge retention. Then again I love me some H1 in SE, so maybe SE is the deal breaker for VG10 too 🤷🏼‍♂️ it’s a shame postage from the USA is half again the cost of the whole knife.

I was about recommending what Matus then did and what I actually always do when it comes to VG10:

Get an SE variant!!

VG10 is decent in PE, but great in SE imo (and quite some people more experienced than me seem to feel along that lines too).

Better edge retention, and probably more "pe-ish" than the H1 SE Spydies (Rockjumper SE is in ffg and has less aggressive serrations as far as I recall (had one for just a short time).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:04 am
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:22 am

I was about recommending what Matus then did and what I actually always do when it comes to VG10:

Get an SE variant!!

VG10 is decent in PE, but great in SE imo (and quite some people more experienced than me seem to feel along that lines too).

Better edge retention, and probably more "pe-ish" than the H1 SE Spydies (Rockjumper SE is in ffg and has less aggressive serrations as far as I recall (had one for just a short time).
Hi Gernot,

Thanks for chiming in - I know a design like this is very much your wheel house. I’m being strict with myself after blowing some cash yesterday on a K390 SE police LW and a Tenacious SE, so I think I’ll give this one a miss, but I am open to trying VG10 in SE. I’m just more open to Magnacut in SE (or cru-wear in SE - that would be epic!).

Maybe one will cross my path sometime in the future, but once shipping to SG is included it’s ~S$140 (which is a big chunk of a Magnacut SE Chief LW which I would *very* much like!)
- Al

Dream knives -
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I've picked up quite a few VG-10 knives on different sales over the last year (including a RJ), and while it's not my favorite steel, the combination of a "boring" steel and mindblowingly low prices (in a European context) is something I've absolutely come to consider a benefit. While I typically don't baby any of my knives and ain't afraid to use them, these knives takes that mindset to the next level. This combo definitely fills a valid role in my collection/selection.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:25 am
I've picked up quite a few VG-10 knives on different sales over the last year (including a RJ), and while it's not my favorite steel, the combination of a "boring" steel and mindblowingly low prices (in a European context) is something I've absolutely come to consider a benefit. While I typically don't baby any of my knives and ain't afraid to use them, these knives takes that mindset to the next level. This combo definitely fills a valid role in my collection/selection.
Are you rocking (pun intended) the SE or PE?
- Al

Dream knives -
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'll jump on the bandwagon. VG-10 in SE is no slouch, and a VG-10 SE Rockjumper at around the $60 mark is a pretty sweet deal.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I love this in VG10 and don't think any other version is coming. It's an instant buy for me at current prices but not for $140 if that's your only option in singapore.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:36 am
Are you rocking (pun intended) the SE or PE?
When it comes to wharnies I lean heavily towards PE.
I use them mostly for precision work, where I find a plain and centered edge gives me more control as far as hitting my intended cutting path and depth.

I have a Salt 2 WC SE from the same sale, but I haven’t found any use for it yet, so I suspect it’s due for a flip.

I was in a similar situation as you when the Delica k390 WC PE was discontinued. It’s a size and steel I really like, but I also appreciate how close I get to the edge on my DF2 WC and RJ, so in the end I decided to let it go, in the hope that an even better option will come along some day.
Still not sure I made the right choice :woozy
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I was hoping for the K390 in SE but time ran out for lack of sales . VG10 in SE will have to do if I want another . Wharnie blades are going to get scarce over time . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I own 3 RJ serrated and 5 wharnie Delica serrated in VG10… yeah, I know, I have a disease. From my personal experience VG10 performs incredibly well in spyderedge but…don’t ask me why. It’s not a tough steel so I guess it must be the way it sharpens. My advice is to get the RJ serrated while they are available. It’s one of Sal’s most inspired designs. I have a feeling that in a few years these wharnies are going to be very sought after. Most people just don’t understand how capable and useful the wharnies are.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:48 pm
I own 3 RJ serrated and 5 wharnie Delica serrated in VG10… yeah, I know, I have a disease. From my personal experience VG10 performs incredibly well in spyderedge but…don’t ask me why. It’s not a tough steel so I guess it must be the way it sharpens. My advice is to get the RJ serrated while they are available. It’s one of Sal’s most inspired designs. I have a feeling that in a few years these wharnies are going to be very sought after. Most people just don’t understand how capable and useful the wharnies are.
Wow ! I only have a total of five Wharnies . I agree with comments. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau