Venting about Tanto PM2.. again.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Venting about Tanto PM2.. again.

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you missed the Tanto PM2 drop from 2-3 days ago... you're not alone.

Spyderco posted a video of the old M4 exclusive that isn't available. But made no hint that a DLC S30V version was available. Saw nothing from BHQ either.

I realize this is coming from a place of, I missed out so I'm angry. But blade shape exclusives are the stupidest thing Spyderco has ever done in my humble opinion. Nothing like a product people want and can't buy.

I'm sure bhq will drop a satin s30v version I don't want. We could have had this knife in so many combos by now. Instead they drip out in disappointing combos in extremely limited numbers every few years. Makes me not want to do business with bhq or spyderco. Justified or not thats how I feel about it.

I bought a CRKT from Knifecenter instead. (The D Rocket MinimalX, looks cool).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Manixguy@1994

Re: Venting about Tanto PM2.. again.

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I was clueless myself and would have been interested. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Fellow forum member Subverto posted about the restock over in the Delivered & Upcoming thread. Looks like only the DLC S30V version was available, not the M4 in the YT Short.
- Richard
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Sorry you missed this… :-||

It may be worthwhile to subscribe to some of the social media groups if you are not already. I’m not in particular a fan of the socials, but they are useful for early notifications. I saw a lot of chatter about this drop on the Millie PM2 Facebook group, and they were in stock probably 4-5 days. Knowing this doesn’t make it less agonising though.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Monty

Post by Monty »

I agree this should never have been an exclusive, I'd like to see it in production. I looked for one on the secondary but quickly became disgusted with the prices from flippers. I remember the commotion when Eric had it on a bladeshow video and I thought with the excitement it would be produced in large numbers.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There were posts about it on October 17th in the Sprints/Exclusives since JAN 2019 thread.

As for Tanto PM2 being exclusive to BladeHQ and Wharncliffe PM2 being exclusive to Cutlery Shoppe it is what it is until it isn’t.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I'm thankful that I've already got the Tantos I need (s30v satin, M-4 DLC), but I do agree that limiting blade shapes to certain dealers isn't one of Spyderco's better business decisions, from the consumer standpoint. Especially if BHQ stands by its M-4 exclusivity. I'd really love the Tanto to be made in other steels too.

I hope this and Cutlery Shoppe's Wharncliffe exclusive will be the last time Spyderco limits their blade shapes to a certain dealer. This has been discussed several times over the years in this forum but in the light of people missing out on the latest drop, I think it's worth repeating.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Danke

Post by Danke »

Why should the race always be to the swift, or the jumble to the quick-witted? Should they win merely because of the gifts God gave them?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would like the Tanto in PM2 but passed on it in past so not earth shattering to me . I am surprised I missed the post . My bad nothing else . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:35 pm
I missed out so I'm angry.
It might be time to take a break when your hobby is making you angry. Knives are supposed to useful and fun.

The CRKT MinimalX looks pretty different.

I got a cheap katana a couple weeks ago. It’s fun to mix things up a bit. And by cheap I mean… cheaper than nearly all of Spyderco’s knives :winking-tongue
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well the Blade Shape Exclusive thing has always irked me for the lack of sprints/exclusives and available stock. But yes I missed the few posts, and I don't follow the milli-pm2 club people and have no plans to do so, not a fan. It's irksome that I would need to follow those people to get a knife that should be part of the standard line up. And despite being on the forum pretty often (Im not glued 24/7 like I used to be, but I'm here weekly) I missed the few posts about it.

This knife is an old sore spot with me, and this just made it fresh. Wasted potential. Anyways thanks for letting me kick and scream about it. I feel better.

And as a side note the Minimal X is really cool. Would be better in Ti and a different steel, I took the pocket clip off too. But I love how clean the design is, and find the straight edge, and the almost chisel shaped tanto to be good/useful. I know Spyderco wouldn't do this knife because CRKT is already, but it made me think that a mini Ti compression frame lock Ikuchi would be awesome.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

When I use to build cellular sites the tanto was my go to blade. But I always bought cheap beater knives for that. The tonto is such a great work knife that I’d recommend getting a cheaper one that you’ll use. Like the cold steel recon 1 tanto. I got mine for around $100 but that was a while ago when its founder still owned cold steel. It’s a great beater workhorse that’ll just keep on going and take any abuse you throw at it. I think that the cheaper quality knives are great cause they’re less likely to end up in a vault or even worse a letter opener. Also when you finally score the tanto you want you won’t have to abuse it.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I havent got the wish to buy one.
But i do understand the situation that people arent to happy with spyderco in holding specific features back for only a specific dealer.
I know exclusives make them money but i wonder if this money making is sustainable in the long run. They are limiting there main production by every new exclusive deal they make. Why not make those exclusive rights time limited? Like for example okay you can sell tanto pm2's or some sort of color g10 for the next 5 years and then they go main production and that is that. They have 5 years of exclusive products and spyderco has to world wide profits after those years has ended.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

apollo wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:29 am
But i do understand the situation that people arent to happy with spyderco in holding specific features back for only a specific dealer.
I know exclusives make them money but i wonder if this money making is sustainable in the long run. They are limiting there main production by every new exclusive deal they make. Why not make those exclusive rights time limited? Like for example okay you can sell tanto pm2's or some sort of color g10 for the next 5 years and then they go main production and that is that. They have 5 years of exclusive products and spyderco has to world wide profits after those years has ended.
I have no problem with an Exclusive from dealers , more variety is good . I would like to see a sprint from Spyderco of different blade designss , not criticizing just opinion. MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I think I was one of the most vocal about it back then and got a lot of flack for my take. I wouldn't call it "stupid", because that's quite insulting though. Spyderco people aren't stupid by any means.

To me, the PM2 blade is too delicate and the tip is very fragile. It's weird to pair that kind of blade shape with one of the strongest lock around. Two problems the Tanto version solves. It strikes the perfect balance between the Shaman and the regular PM2. The work Eric has done on the Tanto design is also beautiful from an esthetic POV. I usually dislike tantos but Eric design made me love this one.

So yeah, it's a huge shame it's not a regular production version and I'm saying that as someone who has 2 of them because that's the knife I use 60% of the time at work. It would be very cool to have it in different steel or featured on the Military/Para 3.

Pet peeve on mine, the Blade HQ DLC tanto doesn't feature S45VN or the black coated liners, like the current production DLC regular PM2 does...

I hope Spyderco will change their stance on the Tanto PM2 soon and realize the PM2 tanto is more than a nice business venture/experiment. It perfected the PM2. Please, keep the m4 version exclusive to BladeHQ, but make the regular one into regular production.

I also wish Spyderco would realize one day that some knives should be prioritized over others or weird experiments. The PM2 is one of their most sold knives and yet, Spyderco is barely focusing on it. Same for the Delica. I agree with 90% of their business decision overall, but there is always that 10% I strongly disagree with and the exclusive PM2 tanto is one of those.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:35 am
apollo wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:29 am
I have no problem with an Exclusive from dealers , more variety is good . I would like to see a sprint from Spyderco of different blade designss , not criticizing just opinion. MG2
I do not have problems with exclusives but i did wish they would not be so long lasting for example all those beautiful colors g10 never to be used again in main production or main production sprints I just do not get that such a thing should be a lifetime deal. Just find it a waste of potential future sales. Because we all clearly love some colors seeing the buy out frenzy’s in the US when a exclusive comes out… and there for the more dealers pick extra colors soon there is nothing left for spyderco itself besides maybe grey and that goofy looking burned orange… and yes its maybe selfish of me to want those colors for everyone around the globe and not just for the few hundred people in and around one location. So i apologize for that in advance. :flushed
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

If it makes you feel any better I'm seeing a lot of initial reports of quality control issues with this release. Many of them appear to have very unevenly ground blades. So on the bright side you may have missed out on having to deal with that.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Holding out for the Tanto Ladybug.
Stonemanaz

Post by Stonemanaz »

The PM2 tanto is back in stock. In has been showing in and out of stock since they released the new batch.
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

yeah, it went out of stock while i was waiting for hq to get back to me on whether liners were coated as was case in previous batch. when i finally received response confirming such on thurs morning they were still out of stock. glanced at site next morning and they were back in stock & snagged one. being this is the 4th release i suspect there will be another down the road.

place knife on wish list and hq will email you if/when it returns; i received email notification from them 10/17 @ 13:00.