Bodacious Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
msum

Re: Bodacious Discussion

Post by msum »

I’m waiting for more steel options. Predictable. Haha.

But yes, this probably appeals to me more than the Shaman.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Hate to be that guy but I'd love a Lil' Bodacious.. somewhere in the 6.5 -7 range?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

tcarltonw wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:44 am
Hate to be that guy but I'd love a Lil' Bodacious.. somewhere in the 6.5 -7 range?
I'm not that guy, but I very easily could have been.

I was catching up on this thread and pondering some more on this design as I enjoyed my morning coffee today.
Where I currently find myself on my knife journey, CLs isn't terribly interesting to me, so I don't want to apply any pressure on the scale, asking for this or that. That said.. in my pondering I realized that if I was starting from scratch, with a empty sock drawer, this would be one of the most appealing CL offerings in spyderco's lineup. And a smaller one even more so.

So while not asking for anything, if such a knife came to be, there would be dire times ahead for my P3s
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

bleasure

Post by bleasure »

This is very appealing. Handle forward as a design principle is really doing it for me, and managing to get no spine gap in the closed position is even more impressive as an overall package. This is tempting itself, would love to get a chance to hold one in person. I'd be interested to see further models in this vein - particularly something like a GB2 redesigned as handle forward would be irresistable and approaching perfection for me.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yes, I like that there is no spine gap and no excess holes carved out in the scales.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

I wasn't sure about it until I compared it to my Lil' Temp and Caribbean. Then, I went hmmm. I like how those fit my hand. Compared with the Caribbean, the Bodacious has a fraction less blade length and a bit less handle length, though with similar handle shapes. I might have to get one to compare. This reveal is starting to get a grip on my wallet. :')
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

This was one of the most thrilling Reveals I can recall.

The Bodacious looks awesome. The bladeshape reminds me of a pointier Lum Chinese, which I always thought was a handsome knife.

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

$250 street price? That’s half the price of a handgun.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’d really like to get this one in hand. The more I look at it, the more I like it. I will probably wait for the Crucarta version.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:26 pm
Can't cut with a gun
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:02 am
zhyla wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:26 pm
Can't cut with a gun
Well.....
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:50 pm
ramblinwreck wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:03 pm
I’m assuming the MSRP will be equal to the Shaman, if not higher?

I think MSRP is about $350 for the satin version.
I love the looks of the knife, but that is crazy high. I stopped chasing the new steels, so S30V is fine, but not at that price. Wow.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Gamecock wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:39 pm
nerdlock wrote:
ramblinwreck wrote:

I love the looks of the knife, but that is crazy high. I stopped chasing the new steels, so S30V is fine, but not at that price. Wow.
The satin model is $350 MSRP but the MAP is $245.

The DLC model is $372 MSRP but the MAP is $260.40.
- Nick :bug-red
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Bodacious is "choil-less" Shaman. Ergo, Bodacious is priced like Shaman. Thank you Spyderco for bringing us this wonderful perfected pocket knife!
- Richard
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

riclaw wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:48 pm
Bodacious is "choil-less" Shaman. Ergo, Bodacious is priced like Shaman. Thank you Spyderco for bringing us this wonderful perfected pocket knife!

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with the price of the Bodacious and am sure it is absolutely worth it.

That said I thought part of the reason why the Shaman is priced higher than comparable G10 comp.lock Spydies are its contoured scales (more complicated and time consuming in production)

The Bodacious does not feature that kind of scales though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:06 am
riclaw wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:48 pm

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with the price of the Bodacious and am sure it is absolutely worth it.

That said I thought part of the reason why the Shaman is priced higher than comparable G10 comp.lock Spydies are its contoured scales (more complicated and time consuming in production)

The Bodacious does not feature that kind of scales though.
That’s a very good point. I also would’ve expected that difference to be reflected in the price.
- Nick :bug-red
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:56 pm
Gamecock wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:39 pm
nerdlock wrote:
ramblinwreck wrote:

The satin model is $350 MSRP but the MAP is $245.

The DLC model is $372 MSRP but the MAP is $260.40.
Yeah, I don't know what goes into pricing, but I'm having a hard time figuring why the MSRP is higher than the S110v military 2
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

It's cool to see Spyderco trying out more choil-less designs, but it's a bit disappointing to not see more knives getting the contoured handle like the shaman. I don't mind a slab handle on cheaper models, but if I'm spending as much as a shaman, I'm going to be comparing the handle to it.

Aside from that, this is a nice design. There aren't a lot of choil-less knives where you can grip the knife close to the blade. I'm liking this design trend.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Not all knives can do everything.
One aspect of the Shaman that has put me off from giving it a try is exactly the focus on harder and prolonged use. This translates to a thicker and heavier knife in pocket.

I realize that many consider theseuseful features in a folding knife, but for others a folding knife spends most of its time in the pocket. One could argue there is room for a true shaman choil less alternative as well, and maybe more variations on this theme will come along if it performs well. I'm one of those who carry way more than I cut, so all I can say is the Bodacious approach has more appeal with me.