Bodacious Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Bodacious Discussion

Post by ZrowsN1s »

What do you all think of the Bodacious?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Drubieg

Re: Bodacious Discussion

Post by Drubieg »

What is it?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I got to handle this one at Blade Show and I really liked it. With everything they had out, it stood out to me the most. But I have been hoping for a choilless Golden Model for awhile. Since it is a compression lock, I personally am glad it has more flat. I think contouring and compression locks do not play nicely with a pinch to close.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Drubieg wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:41 am
What is it?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I can see the Shaman inspiration, and it will rightfully bring comparisons. And to that point, I say it looks like a bad a** knife. If someone gave me one of those, I would love it and use it.

However. I have more Shaman than I know what to do with and don't feel compelled to buy one of these. I like the choil on the shaman. And more importantly I like the contured handles above all. The Bodacious has neither. Again, if one of these fell from the sky, I would absolutely love and use it. But I'm not collecting knives like I used to, and there are other knives that will take priority over this one.

I dig the negative blade angle, and many will like the flow of the design in the closed position vs the Shaman.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I hope I'm allowed to repeat my sentiments here, but I'm in the camp that wishes Spyderco would implement Seki-style G-10 chamfering on their Golden models (if you have ever handled most Seki G-10s, you'd get it), and this knife is no exception. I have no problems operating the comp lock on all my Shamans and even the Kapara - and being a leftie too. But I also do not discount the desire of some to have a flatter surface for added traction for comp locks.

I just wished that there's a bit more of that chamfered edge right there for comfort. Seki G-10s are really comfortable because of their chamfering.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Love the lines. I'm glad there are some more handle-forward designs on the market.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Wow, wow, wow!!!!

Why I love it so much is that it reminds me of a folding version of a boot knife that will be easier to carry and legal in more places

I will be buying several
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:52 am
I hope I'm allowed to repeat my sentiments here, but I'm in the camp that wishes Spyderco would implement Seki-style G-10 chamfering on their Golden models (if you have ever handled most Seki G-10s, you'd get it), and this knife is no exception. I have no problems operating the comp lock on all my Shamans and even the Kapara - and being a leftie too. But I also do not discount the desire of some to have a flatter surface for added traction for comp locks.

I just wished that there's a bit more of that chamfered edge right there for comfort. Seki G-10s are really comfortable because of their chamfering.
Seki G10 chamfering and Kapara & Shaman contoured handles I think are two very different things. I too think the chamfering in Seki slight as it may be would do wonders for all Golden models. In fact, last week I took some sandpaper to my Crucarta PM2 to take the edges down and it makes a notable difference. Contoured handles are also something wonderful. Wish we could see it on more models. Especially back locks.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

I love it. Will be a must by for me.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Also worth noting, this model has a thinner blade stock. You can tell in person when handling it and the specs have confirmed that. Thinner than the PM2.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Not going to lie. I want one. It’s like the Shaman’s bodacious sibling or a shaman and tenacious remix.
Just one more knife...
sal

Post by sal »

The Bodacious is a Shaman inspired choi-less Shaman. One of several Shaman based designs.

sal
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Sal,

It looks great and it appears to be a thinner blade (3.7mm vs 3.2mm) making it even a more effective slicer. Very impressive reveal, even a knife with your dreaded Maxamet in there. Thanks!
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To me the Bodacious competes a lot with the Caribbean (pretty similar dimensions, somewhat similar looks, comp.locks...)

And: I love that it will come in SE!!

The already mentioned not too thick stock is nice too! (like a Chief, but in a taller blade with just a hint of a sabre section - should make it a very good slicer!)

Very cool design in any case!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I love the fact it’s choil less
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:32 am
To me the Bodacious competes a lot with the Caribbean (pretty similar dimensions, somewhat similar looks, comp.locks...)
I think they'll feel quite different in hand. The Caribbean has more of a pinky hook and a taller handle. Plus the Caribbean is only offered in LC200N. I expect the Bodacious to come in other steels after the design flies off the shelves.
- Richard
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yep I'll definitely pick up one of these.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Love this one. Looks like a folding fixed blade to me. :grin-squint
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been waiting for something new that appeals to me. Oh boy! This looks great!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?