So, Sal, is the Caly3 model extinct ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: So, Sal, is the Caly3 model extinct ?!

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm interested to see what handle materials they come up with. The calys are a great series of designs.
Tristan_david2001

Re: So, Sal, is the Caly3 model doomed ?!

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:05 pm
Hi Marius,

Thanx for the kind words to you and others on the Caly family design. Yes, it has been a personal design family for me.

We have quite a few designs planned for the maker, which does include a remake of the Caly 3. There is also a Caly 3.5 in FRN (the original Caly 3.5 in CF is still in production). There is a Caly 4 and a Caly 3.5 design to be a smaller pendant series (slip-joint) with different handle materials. Production will be limited and slower as they are a smaller house with limited capacity.

sal
I really love your Calypso, Caly, Kopa designs, sal. It’s exciting there’s more from the design family coming soon.
:bug-red-white
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

This is good news, Sal!

Limited capacity.. sounds like you're describing what's left of my knife budget. Seems the Caly updates will be a good fit for me :)
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

sal wrote:
We have quite a few designs planned for the maker, which does include a remake of the Caly 3.
Any chance the screws will be flush with the handles? I know it's a pain from a production and QC standpoint to countersink G10/CF, but I think it would really refine an already great design.

I guess a better question is will this be a new run of the exact same design it always was, or will you be implementing some CQI changes?
Last edited by Ferruginous on Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

Sorry Please Delete
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
We have quite a few designs planned for the maker, which does include a remake of the Caly 3. There is also a Caly 3.5 in FRN (the original Caly 3.5 in CF is still in production). There is a Caly 4 and a Caly 3.5 design to be a smaller pendant series (slip-joint) with different handle materials. Production will be limited and slower as they are a smaller house with limited capacity.
Sal, are you at liberty to say whether this “smaller house” made the recent Ayoob sprint, and thus has its origins in the Moki shop?

I ask because the Moki-made Spydies that I’m so happy to have acquired (on the secondary market, because I’m a relative latecomer) have filled me with admiration. I’d like to think that Moki DNA will still find its way into Spyderco’s offerings.

And, so, I’m really curious to know if the Caly slipjoint series will actually be akin to the fabulous Moki-made Kiwi and Kopa series, which I have sampled, or will it be something scaled way down to hang around the neck.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Ferruginous wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:29 am
sal wrote:
We have quite a few designs planned for the maker, which does include a remake of the Caly 3.
Any chance the screws will be flush with the handles? I know it's a pain from a production and QC standpoint to countersink G10/CF, but I think it would really refine an already great design.

I guess a better question is will this be a new run of the exact same design it always was, or will you be implementing some CQI changes?
I'm not Sal, and have no insider knowledge, but I can make a couple of educated guesses. Since they have switched the stainless Police from pinned construction to screws after forty years, the Caly will most likely have to be redesigned to accomodate screw construction as well. I believe the maker involved is Moki, getting back on their feet with Spyderco's help after the setbacks they have suffered.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm curious, how many of you have purchased the current Caly 3.5 CF that's still being produced?

What do you think?

Asking because I never bought one. Wanted to, and then the steel selections (in other knives) moved on from ZDP189.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Tristan_david2001

Bolster wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:41 pm
I'm curious, how many of you have purchased the current Caly 3.5 CF that's still being produced?

What do you think?

Asking because I never bought one. Wanted to, and then the steel selections (in other knives) moved on from ZDP189.
Bolster, it’s a Caly…
I love mine. Very beautiful carbon fiber, personally my favorite kind of carbon fiber spyderco’s done. I love a San-mai Caly blade too, Just extremely beautiful. Zdp189 is still good steel. I had challenges getting a good edge on it in the beginning but once I got it sharp it’s stayed shard for a long time now. As far as the design, it’s my second favorite of the Caly family.
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Caly3 is the knife that brought be back to Spyderco after a long hiatus. It was too good to ignore and I found it right at the time I needed to replace another knife of the same size. The Caly3 was better in every way.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:

What do you think?

What??????????????????? I am shocked you don't have one.
One of the best pocket knife designs in my opinion. As far as the steel, to me it just is a great example of Japanese Cutlery. Japanese super steel and the laminate is just a beautiful combination. I would say to you in particular to try to get some examples in hand or buy from a dealer that will check for excess lock rock. I know you despise it and this is one of those models as you know that can be plagued by it. Mine has it, but I got it for a great deal. I do wish it was in G10. The CF has the texture of glass.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm fortunate that my Caly 3 HAP40 is rock solid. I got my Caly 3.5 CF from that crazy Amazon deal a few years ago. It has a tiny bit of lock rock but I have to put the blade on a wood block and push down hard to feel it. It's a non-issue when cutting with the knife. I wouldn't know the lock rock was there if I didn't test it like I did

I didn't like the smooth CF either when I first got it. After having many pockets shredded by G10 I actually like the smooth CF now. I also have a Delica with the same scales and I like how the knives slide in and out of my pockets and the design of the knives lock them in my hand. I've never felt they were going to slip out of my hand
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anycal

Post by anycal »

I am carrying my HAP40 Caly 3 this whole week. Great knife; no flaws at all.

Ever since I got it, I wanted to get the Caly 3.5. Still do! I had a chance to try a couple (one at SFO, the other at local store) of the current CF model in hand. This only reaffirmed my need to have one. Unfortunatelly, both had more lock rock than I was willing to tolerate. Granted this was before they were out of stock for a while, so I am hopefull things may have improved with a more current batch. Especially at todays price for this model, it needs to be better. I guess I am willing to try again. Buy online, get it in hand, and if it has issues, back it goes.
Peter
Tristan_david2001

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:03 am
I'm fortunate that my Caly 3 HAP40 is rock solid. I got my Caly 3.5 CF from that crazy Amazon deal a few years ago. It has a tiny bit of lock rock but I have to put the blade on a wood block and push down hard to feel it. It's a non-issue when cutting with the knife. I wouldn't know the lock rock was there if I didn't test it like I did

I didn't like the smooth CF either when I first got it. After having many pockets shredded by G10 I actually like the smooth CF now. I also have a Delica with the same scales and I like how the knives slide in and out of my pockets and the design of the knives lock them in my hand. I've never felt they were going to slip out of my hand
I agree the carbon fiber is smooth, but a matte texture, not necessarily slick and slippery. it feels great and effortless sliding it back in or out of your pocket, but no worries of it sliding around loosely because clip tension is still tight and secure .And that jimping and great choil+ramp ergonomics locks your hand in good control of the knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the feel of the smooth CF on this knife. It rides well in my pocket and doesn't eat up the edges.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I want one of these so bad, but they don’t come cheap on the secondary market. How’s the quality on the 3.5 CF?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:05 am
I agree the carbon fiber is smooth, but a matte texture, not necessarily slick and slippery
No matte texture on mine. See JSumm's pictures above. As he indicated it's glass smooth
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:19 am
I want one of these so bad, but they don’t come cheap on the secondary market. How’s the quality on the 3.5 CF?
The Caly 3.5 is excellent but, as mentioned, some apparently have some lock rock issues. I just checked the current price and I was fortunate to get mine new for about half of what they're selling for now. It's a model that's desirable enough to me that I'd probably pay the going rate for one if I didn't already have one.
Tristan_david2001

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:27 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:05 am
I agree the carbon fiber is smooth, but a matte texture, not necessarily slick and slippery
No matte texture on mine. See JSumm's pictures above. As he indicated it's glass smooth
I own one also. It’s quite literally not glass smooth because it’s not made of glass nor does it have a glossy finish or coating. It’s pure carbon fibre. Which is very smooth but it’s very dull and soft. Not slippery and glossy like glass
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Bolster wrote:

What do you think?

I had both the Caly 3 and 3.5 CF/ZDP at different times and ended up selling both. Both were generally well-made (little bit of lock rock on the 3) and I liked that both had quite ergonomic handles while still being relatively slim. They were purchased and sold separately (3 first, then 3.5) with no overlap so I guess I liked it enough to try again after the first.

However, there were a couple of design elements/choices I didn't like.
  • Proud pivots. They just don't work with the slick, flat nature of the rest of the knife.
  • Clad blade. Softer cladding shows scratches very easily, not what I'm looking for on a fancier, more expensive knife like this. Fine on a Hap40 Delica with FRN scales but wasn't thrilled with it on the Calys, especially with how nicely polished they started out.
  • Lack of washers. Follow-on from the previous, between no washers and soft cladding the circular wear marks on the blade near the pivot from opening/closing will quickly appear.
  • Blade steel. I freely admit this one is subjective. ZDP-189 is not my thing. I tried to like it in these Calys and a Delica, Endura, and Ladybug. Once spent a long time taking the Delica to a 4k polish on the edge pro and it had a beautiful, scary sharp edge until the first time it encountered something rougher than receipt paper and then it was just not great holding a working edge at lower but still functional sharpness. Also, I got some salt and pepper rust spots on the ladybug - the most stainless "stainless steel" it is not. I am much happier with K390 regular production and lots of 20CV exclusives floating around for the Seki FRN lineup.
Basically if the VG-10 and G10 versions had still been available I probably would've gone with those and been happier with more utilitarian materials, but they weren't, so ZDP/CF was my only way to try the designs out.

No promises about purchases but I did like the design overall and an FRN version would be on my radar.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."