Spyderco x Lamnia exclusive - poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you interested in Lamnia exclusive aimed at EU customers (and not just them)?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:09 am

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 83

PaloArt

Spyderco x Lamnia exclusive - poll

Post by PaloArt »

Dear Friends, Spyderco family and Forumites

There has been an idea forming for quite some time in my head, and after some time I got enough courage to simply try to contact European distributor of Spyderco knives, with proposition to make European market oriented sprint run of some Spydie model - to start a new trend in EU (I know about Heinnie but VAT and customs are quite expensive). I was quite envious towards our U.S. friends with so many shops and distributors having their exclusives and those not being available for some European countries.

Long story short, Lamnia team just simply said yes and asked me if I can try to obtain some feedback from the forums first, to see how big the demand would be…

Quite logical choice, I would say, was to pick up Urban or UK Pen Knife model, especially due to restrictions in many European countries on locking folders with one hand opening. MODEL IS NOT DECIDED YET though.

First and most important questions would be - are you guys interested?

Cheers from Prague,

Pavel

Edit: Please excuse any grammar mistakes, still struggling with English language time to time.
Last edited by PaloArt on Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manifestgtr

Re: Spyderco x Lamnia exclusive - poll

Post by Manifestgtr »

Absolutely…I’m an American but I support anything that helps interested people to get their hands on good knives, regardless of location. The Urban, UKPK, etc. are great little models for a lot of metropolitan people in the states as well since those laws tend to be more in line with mainstream European laws.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
kobold

Post by kobold »

So much yes. I would like to add the Pingo to the mix. I find it more desirable than the other two.
Great initiative! :respect
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Totally in for it, and I think that lamnia is also the better choice than say knivesandtools.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Thank you very much for your inputs so far. Model is not decided, for now I am looking just for interest in this matter. Since we all know Lamnia, it will be most probably available to everyone around the world. Hopefully this will start a tradition for annual exclusives under Lamnia :) with various models.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

On the idea : kyllä / oui / ano / yes.

On the specific model : not fond of a non-locking knife.
The reason being that a future forum knife, which I'm also interested in, might be the UKPK. And this model lacks a lock. I don't want to own too many lockless knives - in my very small collection, these are exceptions, not the norm.

I'd rather have something more standard, like a Chaparral/Delica/Dragonfly with a specific colour scheme and/or specific steel and/or specific blade shape (like that Heinnie UKPK).
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

kobold wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:47 am
So much yes. I would like to add the Pingo to the mix. I find it more desirable than the other two.
Pingo is such a sweet knife, I am little bit sad I didn`t pick one up when I could and they were available :-|| . I am planning another poll regarding specific model, in case there would be enough interest ;)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Araignee wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:59 am
On the idea : kyllä / oui / ano / yes.

On the specific model : not fond of a non-locking knife.
The reason being that a future forum knife, which I'm also interested in, might be the UKPK. And this model lacks a lock. I don't want to own too many lockless knives - in my very small collection, these are exceptions, not the norm.

I'd rather have something more standard, like a Chaparral/Delica/Dragonfly with a specific colour scheme and/or specific steel and/or specific blade shape (like that Heinnie UKPK).
Model is not yet decided :) we just need to collect enough Yeses for Lamnia to decide, if it even makes sense. If this will be success, then I strongly believe we will not be limited to just one knife but annually updated Knife of the year\exclusive under Lamnia.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

I am very excited to hear more from all of you and looking forward to some interesting discussion :smiling-cheeks
Last edited by PaloArt on Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kobold

Post by kobold »

PaloArt wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:00 am
kobold wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:47 am
Pingo is such a sweet knife, I am little bit sad I didn`t pick one up when I could and they were available :-|| . I am planning another poll regarding specific model, in case there would be enough interest ;)

Same here, also missed the boat. :sleeping Yay for second chances.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PaloArt wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:09 am
Dear Friends, Spyderco family and Forumite...

Short on time right now, but just have to reply quickly:

Great idea and thanks much for actually following through and contacting Lamnia!!
(Actually purchased quite some Spydies there, only the best experiences so far)

Definitely intetested!!

Would be cool if they also had their own color scheme then (like the black and red St Nicks line does for example).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:04 am
PaloArt wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:09 am
Dear Friends, Spyderco family and Forumite...

Short on time right now, but just have to reply quickly:

Great idea and thanks much for actually following through and contacting Lamnia!!
(Actually purchased quite some Spydies there, only the best experiences so far)

Definitely intetested!!

Would be cool if they also had their own color scheme then (like the black and red St Nicks line does for example).
Dear Wartstein, that was exactly my thought - different or specific colour scheme. Since Lamnia is based in Finland, perhaps finnish blue used on their flag would be interesting proposition to them, or perhaps something else. This is in very early stage for now but I am very happy to receive reply from you especially.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

These euro knife laws are a shame. Heartbreaking. I'd rather see the energy go into changing these dumb laws. As for if I'd buy one, maybe. The lock is an integral part of the tool IMHO. I'm not entirely sure I'd buy a slipjoint
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:10 am
These euro knife laws are a shame. Heartbreaking. I'd rather see the energy go into changing these dumb laws. As for if I'd buy one, maybe. The lock is an integral part of the tool IMHO. I'm not entirely sure I'd buy a slipjoint
If you would read some of my posts, model is just my idea and it is not entirely decided yet at all ;). I would understand point of no interest due to no interest in exclusives at all but this baffles me. Not to sound too sour though, I thought it might be nice to offer as a first knife that our friends in Italy, Germany, Belgium and potentially Denmark can buy as well...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Lamnia has been my goto knife store since I got into this ****, so I would be quite happy to support them in such an effort.

I'm quite busy too right now, but the short answer is YES.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Similar to the UKPK Heinnie edition, I bet you would have some support from your friends west of the Atlantic as well. I would support such a worthy cause.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Why can’t it be a fixed blade. :lightbulb

Most knives from Finland I’m interested in are fixed blades.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:27 am
Why can’t it be a fixed blade. :lightbulb

Most knives from Finland I’m interested in are fixed blades.
I am thinking if there would be enough big market for first exclusive being fixed blade. Personally I do not know many people carrying a fixed blade around here, it is more folding knives :) but sure thing, why not to think about that.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

There was a Spyderpuukko back in the day :

But it was pretty expensive at 350$ MSRP.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Input on model/style of knife is probably appreciated, but I guess Lamnia will want to have the final word on this anyway.
They know their customers and what models they are buying.

Most of all I'd like to see an old model resurrected, like SNK did with the Goddard. If it can't be bought anywhere else in any steel/handle combo, it will attract customers from all over.

There's probably a bunch of dico'ed models I'd be interested in, but to mention a folder and a fixed I know I'll have to get my hands on before my soul can find peace;
- Rookie G-10
- Junction