Spyderco matriarch 2 or Harpy ( for a women with little hands)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TouchMyBreil

Spyderco matriarch 2 or Harpy ( for a women with little hands)

Post by TouchMyBreil »

Hello, i come to this forum to search some good advices.
I'm a woman and not have big hands :-D
I have no experience with knives too.
But i have just seen these Spyderco models and i felt in love with them at the first time!
I'd like to buy one ( one for now, but in the future...who can say), but i can't decide which.
I will keep it in my home, but if i need to go to dangerous places ( for exemple train stations at night) i'll probably bring it with me. So, for you, which of this one is the best, for "my use"? And why?
Thank you very much
Michael Janich

Re: Spyderco matriarch 2 or Harpy ( for a women with little hands)

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear TouchMyBreil:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

If you have no experience with knives, I would not recommend carrying one for self-defense. Get some training first.

Stay safe,

Mike
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

^^^Wiser words were never said.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

For self defense, I defer to those with self-defense experience.

But as one with a lot of gardening experience, I can recommend the Matriarch 2 without reservation.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

The harpy is not very suited for self defense due to its hawkbill blade. The Matriarch is designed as a slashing weapon. But the yojimbo is a better alround knife.
I would recommend Filipino Martial Arts to start using a knife in a defensive matter of get lessons in modern knife fighting ( Janich, Southnarc, etc) if you live in the USA.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The spyderco wharncliffe swick if you don’t mind a fixed blade. Objectively fixed blades are faster and more reliable if you’re looking at carrying a knife from a purely tactical standpoint. I would suggest the ronin 2 but it seems a little big for edc.
:bug-red-white
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

As far as self defense goes, the first reply tells you all you need to know.

Taking a step aside and just considering grip fit, grip security and grip comfort, the Harpy is very likely the best fit for your hands. But size isn't everything. The Harpy that's currently in production has very slim and slick stainless steel handles. The highly textured FRN handle of the Matriarch 2 will provide a more secure grip for any size of hand.
If you really like the hawkbill blade shape, a Tasman Salt may be an better choice than both. Again, not speaking of self defense, just the knives in their own right. The Tasman Salt has a handle that's just ever so slightly larger than a Harpy, but in the same grippy FRN material and texture that you find on the Matriarch.

All this makes the Harpy sound like a poor choice, and I guess it could be for some practical applications, but if you'd like a knife that you'll admire for a moment every time you use it - the Harpy is it. Get it while you can, it may not be around forever. And certainly not in its current, beautifully pinned form.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Tasman being a better option than Harpy or Matriarch is good advice.

My personal advice: training with a hawkbill/karambit is absolutely required, but any fool can stab. And the Harpy (hawkbill) and Matriarch (reverse S) are terrible stabbers (without training).

Nearly any other mid size Spyderco would be a better option. Tenacious LW, Delica, Stretch, Para3, etc.

If defensive use isn’t your main reason and you just want to buy a Spyderco I recommend the Chaparral LW.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Good advice already given about training.

It seems like you are favoring hawkbill (harpy) and reverse S (matriarch) bladed knives. The matriarch handle is larger but grippy while the harpy is smaller but slick. Someone up thread mentioned a Tasman, which is a good choice, but you could also get a lil matriarch. Bento box shop still had them in stock last time I checked. Grippy textured handle but in a size better for small hands. And a reverse S blade shape.
garret

Post by garret »

I have a lil matriarch, and a yojumbo, if I had to defend myself against an attack without having any kind of preparation I would choose the small matriarch, the cutting power on that thing is surprising
Smaug

My recommendation:

Post by Smaug »

1) Welcome to the forum!

2) Get a Dragonfly for everyday carry (EDC). You will LOVE it and appreciate it for its everyday usefulness. It could be a back-up to Item 2) below. ;-)

3) Get a little can of pepper spray for possible self defense
-Jeremy
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

There's a Merlin at AZK. Like the Harpy but longer blade and gripper handle.
https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1057565/
- Richard
TouchMyBreil

Post by TouchMyBreil »

Thank you all! At the end i 've followed your advices and i bought a tasman salt serrated ( the harpy was beautiful but slippery, as you said ! So, i returned it back )
Now i'm thinking to buy the tasman plain edge too... even if for self defence, the full serrated version is better, right?
Ps the merlin and the lil matriarch are both fantastic, but no more available 😟 ( merlin only preowned) and the matriarch 2 is too big for my little hands
So, many many thanks to all, for your help