Is there a consensus sharpest folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ramblinwreck

Is there a consensus sharpest folder?

Post by ramblinwreck »

I’ve read several people mention their new Spyderco folder is “the sharpest knife out of the box I own.” Is there a consensus sharpest model/steel or is this just anecdotal?
Mushroom

Re: Is there a consensus sharpest folder?

Post by Mushroom »

Purely anecdotal.
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Nothing to do with model or steel. Any model in any steel can be just as sharp as the other.

Some models do tend to come with thinner edges, thinner primary grinds or thinner blade stock but that is geometry which is different than sharpness.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

Makes sense. The reason I ask is I’m fairly new to knives and was wondering what would be a good first knife for general use. One that doesn’t require a lot of sharpening or until I learn how to. I work in food service so something that can get wet and slice through cardboard.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I'm partial to the Paramilitary 2. Standard in S45VN and a Spyderco Sharpmaker and you'd be set IMO. Good luck with your decision.
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

You're looking for something with good edge retention (i.e. doesn't dull quickly in use) and probably good corrosion resistance (if you're worried about your knife rusting). Depending on how you'd prioritize these two qualities the forum might make an recommendation which steel you should go for. The precise model then might be down to what you're looking for ergonomically / size wise.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

The knife a skilled sharpener just sharpened. Honestly they come how they come and vary greatly from the various factories. I would worry about that less and spend the time, energy, money on developing the skill of sharpening. I think in your situation I would get a Byrd Harrier 2 and spend the rest of your time and money on developing the sharpening skill. Then upgrade from there. One think I really like about the Harrier 2 is the blade stock is a little thinner, edge geometry is key.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I’ve been looking at the Native 5 salt. Would the MagnaCut blade require frequent sharpening? I have larger hands so it cannot have a small grip.
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

Factory edges can vary based on a lot of things, but the key point is that they are mass-produced. Spyderco does have great factory edges, but if you are using your knife regularly, what matters much more is how sharp *you* can get it, because over the life of the knife, it's sharpness is going to depend most on how you maintain it. Learning to sharpen isn't that difficult, but the amount of effort and equipment you need can vary based on the steel you choose.

Some enthusiasts on the forums here like really, really, high wear-resistant tool steels with exotic carbides and super-high hardness. They can require good equipment to maintain. Less exotic steels need more frequent sharpening, but they are also easier to get to a keen edge. How much work it takes to get your knife back depends on how sharp you need it to be, and how hard you are using it.

Given your description of wetness, food service, and cardboard, you probably want a well-balanced steel, which is the right choice for nearly everyone anyway. Someone already mentioned S45VN, you brought up Magnacut, those are highly recommendable choices for well-roundedness (S30V, SPY-27, S35VN, and Elmax are also similar in performance, such that most people probably won't notice much difference). If toughness isn't as critical (e.g. will you be striking things hard? Or wielding it like a slicer/scalpel?), then CPM-20CV or M390 are also great choices.

Magnacut is a real standout, but there are fewer knives available in that steel due to how new it is. It has great edge retention with exceptional toughness (resists chipping/rolling), and corrosion resistance.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:13 am
I’ve been looking at the Native 5 salt. Would the MagnaCut blade require frequent sharpening? I have larger hands so it cannot have a small grip.

That would be a good knife and steel for you. My hands are 10.5/XL. The Native 5 works for me, but I prefer a bigger blade, such as that on the Manix 2.

You might want to revisit your expectations on frequency of sharpening. All knives dull through everyday use. Someone who uses a knife a lot will soon learn this and become dissatisfied with a blade that isn't in tip-top shape. Fortunately, it's not super hard to get suitable sharpness on a good blade. Spyderco offers the Sharpmaker, which is an affordable tool for getting a nice edge on a knife blade.

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

If I was in your situation and couldn’t find a Magnacut knife I’d probably opt for a a Caribbean SE or PE (surprisingly excellent knife!), or any H1/H2 SE knife that floats your boat. They’re all super easy to sharpen (especially H1/H2), water doesn’t bother them, they’re easy to come by and they don’t cost the Earth.

Magnacut is wonderful stuff - I work outdoors in the tropics and it is utterly unphased by being filthy and wet for protracted periods of time, plus it’s easy to sharpen. The only downside is it’s often hard to find and the price is generally high.

Do t be fooled by the oft repeated mantra that SE is hard to sharpen - if you have a sharp maker they’re all much of a muchness.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The sharpest was definitely my Jess Horn ZDP lightweight. It whittled hair from the factory. Of course the masses can't corroborate my claims because it was a sprint from long ago. Just trust me it was the sharpest.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Get wet and cut cardboard = Any salt knife

Have found SPY27 to be an awesome knife steel that keeps an edge well, is easy to sharpen and pretty good with getting wet.

But basically and S30V knife will do just fine.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Once you get good at sharpening, sharpest out of the box doesn't do much for you. My first Spyderco was a ZDP-189 Dragonfly. I was very impressed with it's ootb sharpness.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

Thanks, everyone for their input. I went ahead and ordered a Native 5 Salt.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:33 pm
I hope it is the sharpest knife out of box you’ve ever owned! :grin-squint ;)
-Nick :bug-red
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:40 pm
ramblinwreck wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:33 pm
I hope it is the sharpest knife out of box you’ve ever owned! :grin-squint ;)
I’ll report back! 😄
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:13 am
I’m not sure how long I’ve had mine, 6 months maybe? I haven’t sharpened it once, just stropped a couple times…I wear xl gloves and mainly use the choil but am able to grip behind it, just a little tight…Magnacut is incredible and one of my favorite steels…the Native 5 Salt is a stout little workhorse with a SOLID lockup, can’t go wrong getting one IMO 😉
kobold

Post by kobold »

The *potentially* sharpest should be the model least thick behind the edge. Maybe the Centofante or the Chaparral? IIRC, there's a TBE database.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kobold wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:09 am
The *potentially* sharpest should be the model least thick behind the edge. Maybe the Centofante or the Chaparral? IIRC, there's a TBE database.
Can probably lump the Watu in there as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick