Advice on my first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jman1

Advice on my first Spyderco

Post by Jman1 »

I have somewhat narrowed my decision down to getting some type of Para 3, but I am open to suggestions if anyone has an alternative. So I have 2 questions that will help me determine which Para 3 to get.

1. Lightweight or regular?
2. Which steel to choose and why?

I am currently thinking about getting the spy27 LW or the s110v g-10.
Edit:
Blade length - under 3 inches
Budget - preferably around 200 but 300 max

After some more research and recommendations I am also considering a native 5 or sage 5 but still leaning para 3 at the moment.
Last edited by Jman1 on Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyderwebs

Re: Advice on my first Spyderco

Post by Spyderwebs »

I got a P3LW for my first spyderco and it's my least favorite in my collection. Soon to be sold or given to a friend. So personally I recommend anything besides the P3. I dont understand the love for this knife.
My main beef is the 3.8mm thick blade, which is 3" long, makes for an extremely wedgy, un-slicey blade. The P2's 16% extra edge length helps a lot with the sliceyness, amd the handle is better sized for med-large hands.

My 2 favorites are the PM2 and ayoob for vastly different reasons. I highly recommend either.

The Delica or Endela are a nice place to start. Also the Manix has the best handle imo, but is a pocket hog. The PM2 is hard to beat (get G10 and sand the edges though- the stock scales are not comfortable bit g10 sands very easily with 180-320 grit.)

Spy27 or VG10 are more than adequate starter steels. I haven't tried Spy but like VG10 as a good all arounder.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I'm a fan of the G10 version of the Para 3, but the pocket clip really needs to be replaced with a deep carry one such as a Lynch Northwest clip to really make the knife pleasant to carry. I'm a fan of S110V but it does take skill and the right abrasives to sharpen. It's not exactly a beginner friendly steel in that regard. The standard S45VN version is better in that regard.

SPY27 is a great steel, but I never really was a fan of the lightweight version of the Para 3. Just didn't feel right to me, personally. If you want to try out SPY27 (which is a steel that performs well and sharpens very nicely) on a lightweight model that is better in my opinion (for whatever it's worth) the Native 5 is the one to go with.

I'd suggest looking at the Native 5 as an alternative to the Para 3 anyway. It's an excellent design, and both G10 and lightweight versions are very nice. The back lock is as good as you'll find.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Jman1

Post by Jman1 »

@spyderwebs Yea i would get a pm2 but unfortunately, the blade length is illegal where i live. I could probably get one and never have it taken but i don't really want to worry about it.

@wandering_about Looking through some forums i have seen that a lot of people like the native 5. I'll check it out and see if i like one of those configurations.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Jman1 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:29 pm
I have somewhat narrowed my decision down to getting some type of Para 3, but I am open to suggestions if anyone has an alternative. So I have 2 questions that will help me determine which Para 3 to get.

More than anything else, get something that is comfortable in your hand and something you will actually use/carry.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Budget is important too. What’s your budget?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Chaparall LW is one of, if not the best knife Spyderco makes. If you don't need something beefy that fills the hand out, I think the Chap is a really good first knife.

Tenacious LW should also be considered -- far cheaper and is a solid design.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jman1 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:29 pm

I have several Para 3s in G10 and several P3 LWs. I think the G10 models are nicer knives, better build quality, etc but I carry and use the LWs more often, especially warm months summer. Why? because I prefer the wire clips and the light weight knife is more comfortable for me to carry in light weight shorts. I also like that the handle's a little more rounded on the LW. I don't have an issure with the G10 scales either I do lean more toward rounded. So really it's personal preference. I think you'd like either model and you should try both at some point because you never know until you try it yourself

As far as steel. I'd go with SPY27. I've had a few knives in S110V, have all the equipment and stones to sharpen it but I'd much rather have a steel that I can touch up easily without much hassle. Yeah S110V can hold an edge longer but it also takes more effort to sharpen it. I can get quite a bit of mileage out of steels like SPY27 and, when necessary, give it a few swipes on the Sharpmaker and it's shaving sharp again. It's another preference thing but for starting out go with SP27.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jman1

Post by Jman1 »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:18 pm
Budget is important too. What’s your budget?
Looking to spend around $200 but i am willing to go up to $300 if I feel like its worth it
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Just cuz you’re new to Spyderco doesn’t mean you’re new to knives….what steel you get could help be determined by that. Maybe you already know how to sharpen well…..

Too many variables to tell you which one to buy. Sit and watch all kinds of YouTube vids on the usual suspects and usually a knife (or two) will speak to you ☝️

I wouldn’t sweat it too much….very likely you’ll end up with more than one anyway 😅

Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Jman1:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

A lot of good help and suggestions . I do have a few questions, first knife or just a Spyderco ? What is your environment weather wise ? Since you are blade restricted, why not just try a Delica ( many color options) , decent all around steel , or a Salt for use in any type of weather ? If you have a shop nearby try out what feels best in hand , your hand size does make the difference,of a good or bad decision. Good luck and enjoy ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

In the past I would normally recommend a Delica or native to start, but now I would likely recommend an Endela or Leafjumper. VG-10 is fine to get a taste of Spyderco performance.

If made in USA is a requirement, then the Native or base PM2 are worth a look.

No need to spend your whole budget upfront, try one of the lightweights and see if you like it. There's always time to spend more later.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I’m going to put a vote in for the Signature Seki knives as a good choice for a first Spyderco.

Delica if you have small to medium-sized hands.

Endela for medium to large hands or larger hands and a need for something a bit more compact than the…

Endura. This one is pretty good for larger hands but works well enough for medium hands as well.

It’s also a matter of how long a blade you want. It’s not like they are going to be unusable if you have, say, small hands and a need for a bit more blade length.

They are all available in a number of steels, styles, and price points. And then they do go on sale from time to time.

The reason why this is a good pick imo, is performance. They cut quite well. They all have fairly thin blade stock. They have been continuously refined for years. The back lock is exceptionally safe in pocket with a good bias to close, particularly in these models.

We all have so many knives it’s easy to forget just how good they are.

I would put a Delica up against anything as a cutting tool that’s going to be carried around in a pocket.
Jman1

Post by Jman1 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:19 am
A lot of good help and suggestions . I do have a few questions, first knife or just a Spyderco ? What is your environment weather wise ? Since you are blade restricted, why not just try a Delica ( many color options) , decent all around steel , or a Salt for use in any type of weather ? If you have a shop nearby try out what feels best in hand , your hand size does make the difference,of a good or bad decision. Good luck and enjoy ! MG2
I have had a few knives but they’ve all been low quality cheap knives. This will be my first high quality knife which is why I want to bounce some ideas around here to help make my decision.

I live on the west coast it doesn’t rain often but I am a few miles from the ocean.

I’ll check out the delica and salt.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Between the two, I carry my lightweight Para 3 considerably more often than either of my G-10 models. I'm carrying mine today, in fact.

You get the same cutting edge in a slimmer, lighter-weight package. The FRN scales are contoured, which makes them a bit more comfortable in hand. The LWs are usually cheaper too, which is always nice.

I do lik the G-10 Para 3, but personally I feel like if you're going that route you might as well just buy a PM2. The larger knife takes up just about the same room in the pocket, and you get considerably more cutting edge.

Two bonuses for the G-10 model, as I see them:
- The action is better. If you're a fidgeter, this might be important for you.
- There is much better availability of aftermarket scales. If you want to throw some micarta on there, this might be important for you.

When it comes to steel, I'd say they're mostly all good options, but I'd probably steer you towards one of the base models. Spy27, S30V, and CTS-BD1N are all great options because they're relatively easy to sharpen. Of the three, S30V is likely to give you the most trouble, but its not really too bad.

Spyderco offers quite a few excellent models in this size range, but the Para 3 is a great first choice. I'd go LW if I was in your shoes.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

Delica Wharncliffe in VG10 has my vote :)
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
Jman1

Post by Jman1 »

So to update my possible knife choices the following is what I'm now considering

Para 3 LW SPY27
Para 3 G-10 s110v, Maxamet, or K390
Sage 5 LW
Delica 4 M390 or K390 Wharncliffe

Thanks for all of the help so far.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The Para 3 G10 in S30V was my second Spyderco (first was a Native 5 G10 with liners, discontinued now).

It is very solid, came tuned very well (might be a good info just in case you don't disassemble any knife upon reception like I do :') ).
I would not recommand S110V as an introduction steel to Spyderco, just because it is not the easiest to sharpen (requires very light pressure, I do not know how much you sharpen, or how many high carbide stainless steels you've played with before).
A Para 3 in G10 with S45VN is a good place to start IMHO.

The Para 3 LW in SPY27 is very cool too, I love that steel ! It's easy maintenance, takes a keen edge very easily, and the whole knife is almost only as heavy as its blade.

The Sage 5 LW, in my eyes, has the advantages of both the Para 3 G10 & LW. It's not very thick or heavy, but yet perfectly stable, excellent action. Thinner grind than the Para 3.

Delica is just an overall excellent EDC. I had one in ZDP and one in K390. The K390 one was way thinner behind the edge than the ZDP version.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jman1 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:30 pm
So to update my possible knife choices the following is what I'm now considering

Para 3 LW SPY27
Para 3 G-10 s110v, Maxamet, or K390
Sage 5 LW
Delica 4 M390 or K390 Wharncliffe

Thanks for all of the help so far.

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

First and foremost:
I don´t think you can go wrong with any of these choices
- though since you say you only had "low quality cheap knives" so far, I figure they all had pretty soft and quickly dulling but also quick and easy to sharpen steel.
So I am not sure if the "jump" right to stuff like Maxamet or S110V would be the best move, or a still substantially upgraded, but also quicker to sharpen steel like S30V, SPY27, ... not be a better idea.

Concerning your choices:

For me personally the Delica clearly wins: Nice and thin carry, thin enough but still strong blade, pretty spacious handle for such a small knife, sturdy built with liners but still light (even a tad lighter than the linerless Para 3 LW), reliable and safe-in-pocket backlock.

Number two would be the Sage 5 LW I think (never owned one!): Bladestock a bit thick (20% thicker than on the Delica) for a small folder but still ok. Handle shaped so that it maximizes grip area behind the choil.

Para 3 (had the LW SE): Cool little knife, but not my favorite: Imo rather a "small knife that carries big" (bulky, heavy), fat blade stock (almost 50% thicker than a Delica), and handle shaped so that it restricts the actual grip area behind the choil.

Just my 2c, based on my personal preferences, and again: You really can't go wrong with either of the three.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)