Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Post by abbazaba »

Looking forward to seeing more pics of the DLC version in the wild!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

How’s the steel working out?
Last edited by Mrj on Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:00 am
🤩🤩
MRj “Weak things break!”
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Mrj wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:04 am
How’s the steel working out?

I haven't had enough time with it. So far it's been fine. I cut some zip-ties and it didn't loose it's razor sharp edge.
•• Beau
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great pics! The murdered out look really suits that knife IMO. My experience with a Manix2 in BD1 as a workshop beater has been great.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Here's my attempt at a "tactical workshop" pic. :beaming-face

•• Beau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:46 am
...The murdered out look really suits that knife IMO...

Beautiful knife!!

I don't have the hip lingo like you guys. Can you explain what "murdered out" means? And why "murder"? I've seen the term used a lot with knives, but can't figure out if it implies: monotone, or black, or understated, or overdone, or classy, or modified, or blingy, or...?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:50 pm
abbazaba wrote:

Beautiful knife!!

I don't have the hip lingo like you guys. Can you explain what "murdered out" means? And why "murder"? I've seen the term used a lot with knives, but can't figure out if it implies: monotone, or black, or understated, or overdone, or classy, or modified, or blingy, or...?
It means all blacked out. Pretty sure it's mostly a car culture thing, when a vehicle is all black everything.

Not sure the origin, but the funniest I've heard is that it has to do with crows :rofl Seems like it's probably just a form of looking murderous, which often is associated with dressing all in black, limo tint, ski masks... But I dunno, I suck at english.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:56 pm
Bolster wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

Beautiful knife!!

It means all blacked out. Pretty sure it's mostly a car culture thing, when a vehicle is all black everything.

Not sure the origin, but the funniest I've heard is that it has to do with crows :rofl Seems like it's probably just a form of looking murderous, which often is associated with dressing all in black, limo tint, ski masks... But I dunno, I suck at english.
A group of crows is called a murder. Pod of whales, flock of geese, herd of sheep, mob of emus, band of gorillas, pride of lions, parliament of owls, pack of wolves, etc, etc..

Stay in skool kidz. Yule learn sumthin.
vivi

Post by vivi »

those blacked out ones look great.
:unicorn
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:56 pm
Bolster wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

Beautiful knife!!

Thanks! OK, "all black" then. Like a murder (=a flock) of crows. Got it! Murdered out looks good on the Native Chief, that's for sure!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

TimButterfield wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:59 am
Netherend wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:54 pm
I am curious to see some comparison pictures of the lightweight chief next to similar sized spydies like the endura, mili, Caribbean etc.
While my Chief is not LW, this is a comparison I can make of similar sized knives to those mentioned: Chief, Stretch 2 XL, Endura, Caribbean, PM2
Thank you. The chief blade is not as tall as I imagined it to be and that’s a good thing for pocket carry. What a beautiful clean blade shape .
Just one more knife...
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:00 am
It does look slick in all black
Just one more knife...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Nice knife! No doubt about it. My favorite Spyderco folder.

I was/am unable to jump in and get one of these on sale at this time because I spent all of my cash on health supplements. I plan to still buy every Spyderco Native Chief, and may buy more than 1 copy of each SKU.

Bad timing on my part.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Netherend wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:48 pm
Thank you. The chief blade is not as tall as I imagined it to be and that’s a good thing for pocket carry. What a beautiful clean blade shape .
Do you have any thoughts about how the stretch 2 XL, endura, and chief compare in terms of carry and use? I have never handled/pocketed the stretch or chief.

Is the chief's screw closest to the pivot smaller than the hardware found on the stretch 2 xl and the endura - or is it just optics?
vivi

Post by vivi »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:33 pm
Netherend wrote:
Do you have any thoughts about how the stretch 2 XL, endura, and chief compare in terms of carry and use? I have never handled/pocketed the stretch or chief.

Is the chief's screw closest to the pivot smaller than the hardware found on the stretch 2 xl and the endura - or is it just optics?
The Chief carries basically the same as an Endura. Closed they're just about the same size and weight. SXL carries similar but a touch wider than the Chief.

As far as use goes I like the Chief the best out of them all. Having no thumb ramp improves the ergonomics dramatically for me.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:07 pm
those blacked out ones look great.
hopefully we'll see a blacked out magnacut chief.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:33 pm
Netherend wrote:

For the record: The Endura is without any doubt my most used folder ever, I have quite some experience with the Stretch XL already, but only briefly owned a Chief - and a G10 one, I am certain I´d prefer the FRN version (lighter, a bit chamfered, bidirectional texturing...)

- Tips: I like the very precise tips of Chief an XL in many tasks - but for a do-it-all folder I prefer the presumably a bit stronger (but still pointy enough) Endura tip. The Chief and Stretch XL tips can feel a bit fragile, especially in SE (chisel grind, also on the PE section towards the tip).
The H1 Stretch XL Salt should have a stronger tip though due the hollow sabre grind.

- "Edge profile" :The Stretch XL has that long, totally straight section in the edge, while the Chief more of a continuous curve (the Endura is somewhat between the two). I prefer the former (straight edge), since it transforms power better (much like a wharnie) and has less tendency to glance off matter that gets cut.
In non-wharnie Spydercos this totally straight edge (plus then belly of course) is rather the exception, but all Stretches do offer it.

- Carry: Width of a knife in pocket does not matter to me, too much length though does.
The XL, Chief and Endura carry pretty much the same and pretty good, they should not be any longer though in pocket for me (one of several reasons why I strongly dislike deep carry clips, especially on larger folders)

- Ergos: For my L to XL hands the Endura offers the best combination of stability and comfort in hand. Keep in mind though, that I rarely ever put my thumb on the ramp but rather on the flat of the blade. This positions the hand a bit more forward and makes a difference.
If I used the ramp, probably the XL would "win".
At least in its G10 variant the rather blocky Chief is just a good third place. I think though that also compared to the FRN Chief the Endura and XL have a bit more chamfering.
When putting a finger on the spine I slightly prefer the no ramp design of the Chief though

- Operation: I find Endura and XL a bit (even) more convenient to open due to the placement of the opening hole

- Weight: The XL is a really nice, light carry with its 2.7 oz.
The linerless Chief LW (3.1) is not THAT much lighter than the Endura with its sturdy, solid liners (3.4) - the "linerless Endura" (Pac Salt) comes in at an amazing 2.6 oz though.

So, for me, the Chief LW is a great and extremely cool looking knife - but its "problem" in my case is the existence of Stretch XL and Endura / Pac Salt, which most likely fit my personal preferences even better.
Still: Have to try a Chief LW in full SE!! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:00 am
For the record: The Endura is without any doubt my most used folder ever, I have quite some experience with the Stretch XL already, but only briefly owned a Chief - and a G10 one, I am certain I´d prefer the FRN version (lighter, a bit chamfered, bidirectional texturing...)
So, for me, the Chief LW is a great and extremely cool looking knife - but its "problem" in my case is the existence of Stretch XL and Endura / Pac Salt, which most likely fit my personal preferences even better.
Thank you for your feedback!