New Stretch 2 XL: Compared to PM2 & Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

New Stretch 2 XL: Compared to PM2 & Endura

Post by RustyIron »

I was holding off on the S2XL, but the recent sale prices were irresistible. Now that I've been carrying it around for a couple days, I'll share my impressions for anyone who might be on the fence.

First thing out of the box, I immediately noticed how thin the knife is. Whether or not it's useful, I can't say, but it makes the knife stand apart from my other Spydercos. The chamfering adds a touch of class. Flip the knife over, and the full back spacer looks snazzy. This is a good looking knife. The flaw is on both liners, on the ventral side. The tool used to grind the curved shape was chattering. I can feel it with my thumb, or see it by reflecting light. It's only visible if you're looking for flaws. I mention this because it's the biggest flaw--in other words, there's not much to complain about.

I think the closest cousin to the S2XL is the PM2. The Stretch has the longer blade, which is the big appeal. Normally I like countersunk, flat head fasteners. But the round ones on the Stretch are smaller and less obtrusive than the big flat ones on the PM2. The subtle shape differences and the lock are stylistic issues, and I like both. The Stretch blows the PM2 out of the water with the lanyard/clip placement. The tiny lanyard tube allows the clip to be centered on the handle. It's MUCH prettier than the offset clip on the PM2.

The Endura's blade is close in size to the S2XL. The Stretch is prettier, without a doubt. But when holding my Endura, I can't help but think about how much I like the FRN handle. That makes me wonder, considering how great the S2XL is in G10 and full liners, how awesome would it be in FRN? It would be WAY cool. Doesn't the Seki factory already have tall stacks of K390 laying about. A Stretch 2 XL LW in K390 makes perfect sense. Until we read about such a beast in a future Reveal, I'll be enjoying the S2XL that I already have. The longer blade in the same-size package as its cousins, puts the new knife among my favorites.

IMG_1963.jpeg
kennethsime

Re: New Stretch 2 XL: Compared to PM2 & Endura

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks Rusty, great comparisons.

What I like so much about the S2XL is how small it carries for being such a big knife. It takes up about the same pocket real estate as a PM2, but offers the blade length of a Millie. Maybe I just need to put a Lynch clip on my Millie, I dunno, but the S2XL really seems to pack it in.

Agreed 100% about the K390 LW. I’m sure it’s on the way.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:27 pm
I was holding off on the S2XL...

Always appreciate a good review! Questions... (1) which blade shape do you find more useful...the straighter Endura or the more upswept Stretch2XL? (2) Do you find the choil of the S2XL gives you finer control than the choil-less Endura?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have carried the basic vg10 version almost everyday since I scored it from KSF for a great deal on Black Friday. It is in my opinion the best knife Spyderco has ever designed. For me it is perfect but l like bigger blades than most.

I have the g10 Cruwear version and I would love a K390 and a Salt.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageImage[/img]I have both also and they are a big favorites of mine too . Plan to pick up variants as they come out , such a great design . Truthfully it took me a while to accept the straight spine since having the original Stretch blade design but it has grown on me in a positive way . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
olywa

Post by olywa »

I have the FRN in both SE and PE and I'm very impressed with them. But I picked up the Cruwear G10 during the recent sale and it is on a whole 'nuther level. Just a superb knife altogether.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Mine arrived today. First impressions are very good.

I had a very good dialogue with the store representative so I knew approximately what I was getting, but neither the photos nor the description I received in advance could prepare me for how well built this thing would feel IRL.
Beyond a tiny air gap between the left side liner and the lock bar around the pivot area, there’s literally nothing else I can put my finger on, and even that is nitpicking in my book. But at this price point I guess your allowed to. I knew about the gap from the photos and accepted the knife since everything else seemed so well executed. It's a small issue that I expect I’ll be able to address with cleaning or a minor intervention. The gap was actually way more noticeable in those closeup shots than in real life and I was surprised I actually had to deliberately look for it when I finally had the knife in hand.

It’s almost to be the point I wish it wasn’t so flawless. I will certainly cringe a bit putting the first battle scars on this one.

..Which leads me to something else to ponder about. Utility/justified need. For my day to day needs I’m not sure this will be my most useful knife, it’s certainly a big departure from my typical preferences, but something tells me it’s here to stay. It's one of those knives that has a certain quality. It begs to be picked up, carried and used. And it puts a smile on my face when I do so. Over the years I've become more and more focused on practical features over feelings, so this is a trait it shares only with a handful of other knives I own, e.g. a Sebenza 21 which I also don’t carry very often, but one I couldn’t imagine separating with. I bring up the Sebenza specifically, because even if these two knives are very different, to me there is something Sebenza-like in operating this knife. It's so, so smooth. Not drop shutty or snappy, just that hydraulic-like smoothness you get with a Sebenza. And as is the case with modern Sebenza's, the S2XL leaves you with a feeling of experiencing a mature and well thought out design.

It's funny to think back to when this knife was revealed. After the initial release of the LW without liners from the get go, I was quite surprised and not at all intrigued to see the next iteration add liners and a rusty steel. I quickly dismissed it and turned the page. Now, here we are.
I'm still pretty sure there is a S2XL LW Salt waiting for me in the future, which I think will provide the ultimate utility for me and my use from this platform. But based on my first day with this knife, I firmly believe this version adds enough useful and unique qualities to stick around and claim an existence in the same knife drawer.
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I recently picked up a lightweight and the geometry is very nice on it. It’s one of my favorites to cut with. I look forward to the salt version and the k390 version. I have been wanting to try k390 anyway.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:18 pm
…It's one of those knives that has a certain quality. It begs to be picked up, carried and used. And it puts a smile on my face when I do so. Over the years I've become more and more focused on practical features over feelings, so this is a trait it shares only with a handful of other knives I own, e.g. a Sebenza 21 which I also don’t carry very often, but one I couldn’t imagine separating with. I bring up the Sebenza specifically, because even if these two knives are very different, to me there is something Sebenza-like in operating this knife. It's so, so smooth. Not drop shutty or snappy, just that hydraulic-like smoothness you get with a Sebenza. And as is the case with modern Sebenza's, the S2XL leaves you with a feeling of experiencing a mature and well thought out design.
Very well said. Neither knife is flicky, but both veerrrryyy smooth - and rock solid. Two of my favorite knives here.

I need to get a deep carry for my Sebenza - it doesn’t get carried enough.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:18 pm
Mine arrived today. First impressions are very good.

I had a very good dialogue with the store representative so I knew approximately what I was getting, but neither the photos nor the description I received in advance could prepare me for how well built this thing would feel IRL.

So you finally pulled the trigger, congrats!! :smlling-eyes

Just out of interest: I have asked store representatives too in the past to check on a Spyderco model (one time cause the knife was a gift and thus I wanted a perfect one, one time cause I wanted a certain newer production date) - but you actually asked for and received pics of a particular piece before ordering?

As you will know I have the LW model, and while it is absolutely sturdy enough for everything I might throw on a folder, this platform in "heavy" must feel amazing in hand indeed.

I like the XL so much that I am actually contemplating to get the Nishjin variant when it is available (no idea how easy or hard they will be to obtain in Europe though) https://youtu.be/9KaafYk5ges
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:27 pm
I was holding off on the S2XL, but the recent sale prices were irresistible. Now that I've been carrying it around for a couple days, I'll share my impressions for anyone who might be on the fence.

First thing out of the box, I immediately noticed how thin the knife is. Whether or not it's useful, I can't say, but it makes the knife stand apart from my other Spydercos. ....

Thanks, good write up!

And interesting what you say about how thin it is.

Just checked with my lightweight XL and I actually think it is also a tad thinner than an Endura. I misplaced my calipers, sot it is a bit hard to tell, but roughly measuring with a ruler the Endura seems to be "thicker" by about 1 mm (about 0.04").
I don´t notice this in hand at all though.

Can anyone check if the G10 Stretch XL actually is thinner than the FRN variant? (And both thinner than an Endura?)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:55 pm
So you finally pulled the trigger, congrats!! :smlling-eyes
How crazy is that? I got the heavy before the LW
Wartstein wrote:
Just out of interest: I have asked store representatives too in the past to check on a Spyderco model (one time cause the knife was a gift and thus I wanted a perfect one, one time cause I wanted a certain newer production date) - but you actually asked for and received pics of a particular piece before ordering?
Even asking such favors is out of character for me. I’ve never done it before. Beyond my Chef that’s no doubt also very well built, but is troubled with lock stick to the point where it gets cumbersome to use, all my factory new Spydercos have met or exceeded my expectations. It’s probably something I should do as a rule when ordering from abroad, but my track record has been so good I don’t even think of it at the point of ordering.
This time was different. Judging from the S2XL G10 Cruwear thread there has been a couple of QC issues affecting this model, and while some are tolerable, I’d argue that some are not at this price point.
International returns are a hassle for both the customer and the seller, so to save us all some trouble, I specified my concerns and what to look for when I placed my order. The follow up I got from Lamnia definitively exceeded my expectations. I never asked for pictures, but it was very helpful in my decision making.
Wartstein wrote:
As you will know I have the LW model, and while it is absolutely sturdy enough for everything I might throw on a folder, this platform in "heavy" must feel amazing in hand indeed.

I like the XL so much that I am actually contemplating to get the Nishjin variant when it is available (no idea how easy or hard they will be to obtain in Europe though) https://youtu.be/9KaafYk5ges
This is how I feel about the linerless lightweights as well. A perfect balance between weight and sturdyness for my folding knife use.

Being pragmatic and buying the best tools for the job, no feelings applied, is no doubt a safe route to travel, but at the end of the day (at least for anyone frequenting here) knives are more than that. Some odd days I find myself staring into my knife drawer, looking for something to spice up the day, rather than picking the lowest weight and most compact knife that can get the job done. The G10 S2XL is for those days.

The Nishjin looks amazing. It’s a step too far for my tastes, but for anyone who appreciate practical art this should be top of the pops. And if you can’t get your hands on one, the G10 is a pretty decent second choice if you still want a heavy weight S2XL.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

So very well said . Having both variants I noticed if I carry the G10 for a few days and rotate to the FRN , it feels a bit vague in hand until I put it to use . For me the Stretch XL is a masterpiece of utility and style . One of the most comfortable knives to use for extended periods. I hope to see a Salt version and in K390 in the future in FRN . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:03 am
Can anyone check if the G10 Stretch XL actually is thinner than the FRN variant? (And both thinner than an Endura?)

I don't have a S2XL LW to measure, only the Heavy Weight.
Here are the thicknesses of a few knives for comparison.

S2XL HW: 0.383"
Endura LW: 0.440"
Manix 2 HW: 0.454"
Manix 2 XL: 0.458"
Native 5 LW: 0.455"
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:13 pm
(1) which blade shape do you find more useful...the straighter Endura or the more upswept Stretch2XL?
(2) Do you find the choil of the S2XL gives you finer control than the choil-less Endura?
I like a little more belly, like the S2XL or the PM2. For most tasks, I use the rear portion of the blade. I generally save the tip for doing delicate work. If I do too much heavy work with the tip, it easily gets rounded.

The choil doesn't add any functionality when cutting. I never use it. I'm not suggesting it's a bad thing. Get rid of the choil, and the S2XL becomes an Endura Hybrid. I'm content the way it is.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:21 am
I have carried the basic vg10 version almost everyday since I scored it from KSF for a great deal on Black Friday. It is in my opinion the best knife Spyderco has ever designed.
Wow! High praise indeed!

Hopefully we will start seeing some sprints & exclusives.
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

This is next on my list. I just need one in S90V :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:03 am

I don't have a S2XL LW to measure, only the Heavy Weight.
Here are the thicknesses of a few knives for comparison.

S2XL HW: 0.383"
Endura LW: 0.440"
Manix 2 HW: 0.454"
Manix 2 XL: 0.458"
Native 5 LW: 0.455"

Thanks!

I figure that the Stretch XL LW is a bit thicker than the G10 version then.
Would actually make sense for structural integrity (unlinered, on the inside "skeletonized" FRN), and it seems to be very close to an Endura in thickness to my eye.

Perhaps someone who does have both a G10 and an FRN Stretch XL (and calipers...) could chime in.
olywa

Post by olywa »

As above, I get .383" for the S2XL HW. My S2XL LW SE comes in at .430".
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:43 am
Even asking such favors is out of character for me. I’ve never done it before. Beyond my Chef that’s no doubt also very well built, but is troubled with lock stick to the point where it gets cumbersome to use, all my factory new Spydercos have met or exceeded my expectations. It’s probably something I should do as a rule when ordering from abroad, but my track record has been so good I don’t even think of it at the point of ordering.
This time was different. Judging from the S2XL G10 Cruwear thread there has been a couple of QC issues affecting this model, and while some are tolerable, I’d argue that some are not at this price point.
International returns are a hassle for both the customer and the seller, so to save us all some trouble, I specified my concerns and what to look for when I placed my order. The follow up I got from Lamnia definitively exceeded my expectations. I never asked for pictures, but it was very helpful in my decision making.
I'll join you on that. I never asked anything from a store but Lamnia sure knows how to keep their clients confident in their ability to provide the best service they can ! It was a bit different for me since it was a return, but they themselves offered to check for the next one.

Only knife I had to return (twice) is the SpydieChef. Too much lock rock on the first 2 CQI models I received. The 3rd one still has some, but I ended up accepting that it must be normal for this lock design. Such a thin lockbar that actually travels down AND to the right while locking makes a really small area of contact.
It's a design I love but I'd really like to see the lock interface revisited (and lockbar to be wider).

To come back to the SXL Cruwear : I'm delighted to know you've received a good sample ! Mine has just been accompanied by my Baby Horn sprint in the same G10 almost everyday, such a great combo IMO :nerd :respect

Wartstein wrote:
It does !
Wartstein wrote: I like the XL so much that I am actually contemplating to get the Nishjin variant when it is available (no idea how easy or hard they will be to obtain in Europe though) https://youtu.be/9KaafYk5ges
They should be available at at least 3 or 4 big dealers. Lamnia already has them listed for 323€.
I wouldn't want the Damascus blade but the Nishijin scales are gorgeous !
(No Robin, do not buy the Nishijin variant for a blade swap, don't do it !)
(You already planned to make custom scales for the G10 version, calm yourself young man)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds