The tip up/ tip down debate continues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

The tip up/ tip down debate continues

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Anyone here like wet bread?

https://youtu.be/GZ0J0vvXey8
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Subverto

Re: The tip up/ tip down debate continues

Post by Subverto »

10 years ago when I got my first Paramilitary 2 I tried carrying both tip up and tip down and came to the conclusion that I preferred tip up. I have kept it that way ever since. It's wild to me that I was able to come to that conclusion entirely on my own without any input from social media influencers.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I can go either way to be honest, just as long as I can left hand carry I’m fine. After carrying my calypso jr. I got really used to it and enjoyed it, I found that after closing the knife from taking it out and using it that it felt more natural reaching down to clip it back into my pocket because the butt of the knife is already facing down after closing it. But a slight opposite bend of the wrist either direction isn’t a big deal of difference to me. Funny vid from pete nevertheless
:bug-red-white
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Tip up, tip down, don't care. :yawn But I did switch my Maxamet PM2 to tip down because the lanyard hole puts the clip off center, tip up, and I didn't like the way it hung in my pocket.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Had I not read the subject, I'd have thought the video was about people who don't like FRN handled knives.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I simply go with whichever position for a particular knife feels comfortable for me. In one instance, I switched my Police 4 LWT to tip down, because the clip presses more onto the flat logo, and less on the texturing, than it does in tip up position. I generally prefer tip up, but it depends. I never paid any attention to whether tip up or tip down carry was more popular.

It seems like nowadays, everything has to be a debate.

Jim
RandomNick

Post by RandomNick »

And this video added absolutely nothing of value to that debate.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:48 am
It seems like nowadays, everything has to be a debate.
I’ll debate this ;)

It seems some topics are popular to have an opinion about in the age of the internet.
And sadly, I think people that have just been introduced to this hobby picks up on this and assumes it’s how it’s supposed to be.
I’m sure even this topic is important to some, and makes a real difference for a select few, but hardly as many as are choosing to have a vocal opinion about it these days.

Personally I don’t care much at all. If I have options I’ll choose whichever is more comfortable in hand/pocket. For instance I have two Salt 2’s, and I’ve setup one in each configuration. I prefer options over popular belief.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

RandomNick wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:14 pm
It pours a bucket of humor over a topic some people take too seriously. It’s a common theme in Pete’s videos.
I’ll agree this wasn’t his best work, IMO, but he tends to hit the nail on the head more often than not.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t understand why we are still arguing about this. Carry however you want. Folks who are newer to the scene are gonna prefer tip up because that is how most knives come. I’m old enough to remember when most knives came tip down from the factory and that is what I got used to. Before I started collecting knives I carried the same Benchmade tip down in my back pocket next to my wallet for ten years. I have also been carrying a pocket pistol in my right front pocket for most of my adult life so front pocket carry isn’t an option. I don’t think I’m right or that I have the answer but I do know what works for me and that is tip up in my right rear pocket like I have been carrying for the past twenty years.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:28 pm
RandomNick wrote:
It pours a bucket of humor over a topic some people take too seriously. It’s a common theme in Pete’s videos.
I’ll agree this wasn’t his best work, IMO, but he tends to hit the nail on the head more often than not.
Pete has a good sense of humor and he has added more value to the knife community than most over the years. Sometimes he gives us some decent testing and sometimes he gives us some decent humor/entertainment. He’s better than the dozens of shills and fanboys on YouTube that just regurgitate the same nonsense. We are all lucky to have him participate in our hobby.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:33 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:28 pm
RandomNick wrote:
Pete has a good sense of humor and he has added more value to the knife community than most over the years. Sometimes he gives us some decent testing and sometimes he gives us some decent humor/entertainment. He’s better than the dozens of shills and fanboys on YouTube that just regurgitate the same nonsense. We are all lucky to have him participate in our hobby.
For sure. 100%. The only one I consistently watch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

what debate?
:unicorn
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Wet bread… yummmmm
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm going to add my 2 cents and say it really depends on the knife . I used to be 100% tip up always but I've found some knives draw way better tip down.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:30 pm
I don’t understand why we are still arguing about this. Carry however you want. Folks who are newer to the scene are gonna prefer tip up because that is how most knives come. I’m old enough to remember when most knives came tip down from the factory and that is what I got used to. Before I started collecting knives I carried the same Benchmade tip down in my back pocket next to my wallet for ten years. I have also been carrying a pocket pistol in my right front pocket for most of my adult life so front pocket carry isn’t an option. I don’t think I’m right or that I have the answer but I do know what works for me and that is tip up in my right rear pocket like I have been carrying for the past twenty years.
Yes this and I think that's exactly what Pete was poking fun at. No absolutes. It's all what you're used to As Sal says about steel, all different and all good.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think the whole "debate" is stupid
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a debate that I've never really participated in. I've owned and used several Tip UP and Tip DOWN Spyderco models and I liked them both OK for the most part. Maybe it depends on what your highest priorities are with different blade uses. I'm far more concerned with locking systems along with blade & handle materials than I am with the TIP UP/Tip Down issues.

I've known several guys and gals who were on both sides of the fence on this debate and they both have had good reasons for their selection. But it just never really got my attention for some strange reason.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I go both ways 🤣
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I found the video funny, but I utterly could not care less how people choose to carry their knives - that’d be their business, not mine 🤷🏼‍♂️
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE