Just bought a KME sharpener and I have questions...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jmj3esq

Just bought a KME sharpener and I have questions...

Post by jmj3esq »

I am through pulling my hair out trying to get that perfect edge with freehand sharpening. I can get sharp, but not scary sharp. I want scary sharp, so I decided to purchase a KME with the diamond stones. I quickly put it to use with great results. I sharpened my knife at 17 degrees and then put a 20 degree micro bevel on it. When putting on a micro bevel freehand it relatively easy to "blend" the shoulders into an apple seed profile. I noticed with the KME that there is a clear line where the micro bevel begins towards the end of the edge. Is this standard with the KME? What is required to reduce this shoulder or is it something we just have to live with? Also, are there any accessories that I absolutely need? A stone of about 2500 or 3000 mic would be nice. I'm totally new to this thing so any advice would be helpful.
bobnikon

Re: Just bought a KME sharpener and I have questions...

Post by bobnikon »

The fixed angle systems are specifically that, fixed angle. You set the angle and then sharpen to that angle. The Appleseed or convex edge is easiest with a belt system or freehand. The precision of the fixed angle system is the selling point, but it will produce those clear transitions between different angles. You can certainly do a few finishing strokes freehand if you want to blend the shoulder.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

That appearance is normal with a precise micro bevel.

You can do what is called "back sharpening." This means that you go back to sharpening at 17 degrees per side after putting on the 20 dps micro bevel. This will improve your sharpness (if you close in on eliminating the micro bevel slowly and stop before you overshoot it). With some technique an edge directly off of a 400 grit diamond plate can pop hairs off of your arm without touching skin (and this may be under selling).

You may say "then why don't I only sharpen at 17 deg?" Well, the micro bevel helped you de-burr and gave you control over the apex before final sharpening. The diamonds will have and effect on the edge before the micro bevel is completely gone (just gone to the eye) so that means it helps the stones not overshoot and burr up the edge.

There are degrees to burr management. An edge with none of these considerations that was fully apexed is still sharp / will slice paper.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

KME do a convexing rod but I’ve not found it all that mind blowing compared to the regular bevels. I sharpen around ten knives per week on my KME and it is great for repeatability once you get used to its quirks. One thing I’ve found is it is very easy to over polish your edges with this system, especially if you incorporate some mounted strops and compounds. I rarely need more than 10 strokes per side on a nano cloth or kangaroo leather strop - any more that that and I’ve either not weakened the burr enough or I lose a lot of the cutting aggression. You can definitely get hair whittling sharp edges if you just take your time and don’t press very hard (barely any pressure at all).

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do 👍🏻

Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

You should be able to shave hair after the 140 grit stone, or close to it, before progressing to the second stone. That's the best tip I can give a beginner with the KME

Accessories that are worth it (there are a few worth it):

1) Second stopper: this allows the travel of the stone to be locked in and prevents the stone for damaging our blade while sharpening. Only costs like $4
2) Strop w/ compound: Gritomatic is the best place to find one of these. You can get both for like $16-20.
3) Angle finder: Gritomatic or Amazon has these around $15
4) 100 grit stone: only need this if you plan on reprofiling bunch of knives. Saves time and your other stones.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Since this is about the KME sharpener and not a Spyderco product, I'm moving this thread into Off-Topic.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My favorite accessory was the three sided 'jewel stick' hone. It's longer than the standard stones and works for curved blades too. I almost completely stopped using the other stones. I also don't bother with the micro bevel. Just a single bevel, it's a guided system, it's easy to maintain a single bevel (just an opinion).

Lastly if you can manage to get the red loctite off the bolt that holds the eyelet in place, you can turn it upside down and get lower angles. It is a big pain to get that bolt loose the first time though. I used an impact wrench and socket.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:38 am
Since this is about the KME sharpener and not a Spyderco product, I'm moving this thread into Off-Topic.

Kristi
But I do only use Spyderco knives and just sharpened my Spyderco Native 5 Cruwear. There is a link between this thread and Spyderco I assure you. lol
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm thinking very seriously about getting that Work Sharp Pro.
Anyone here have one?
I was looking at KME but, that Work Sharp seems pretty nice.
Really,.really, really, really, really, really, really, really, wish I could have gotten a Tormek when they were on sale..... 😀
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I’m curious about picking up the KME as well. I have the original Worksharp Precision and it does ok but I can’t get it super sharp. Maybe it’s my technique on raising the burr and all. Any tips on the KME for that?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia