Linerless Manix 2???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sparty569

Linerless Manix 2???

Post by sparty569 »

Hey everyone. I just got a Manix 2 in the mail, G10 S30V, black on black. When I went to swap out the ball cage with an aluminum ball cage, there were no liners, and no cut outs for liners. Just solid G10 Scales.

From what I've seen, they have liners. Is there a model old enough that didn't come with liners from the factory?
Last edited by sparty569 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
capt.carl

Re: Linerless Manix 2

Post by capt.carl »

The current black s30v model has full steel liners
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Where did you get it from?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pictures would help with identification.

Was it purchased new or used? If used, maybe it’s a LW with custom scales. Otherwise, I’m leaning towards it being a fake.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

When you tried swapping out the ball cage, did you find a back lock?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:13 pm
Pictures would help with identification.

Was it purchased new or used? If used, maybe it’s a LW with custom scales. Otherwise, I’m leaning towards it being a fake.
Sure. What kind of pictures? What parts would you like to see? I can take it apart.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sounds like you have a C101 Manix2 BL (C101MBGP2) from 2017-2018.

Did it come with a box?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:17 pm
Sounds like you have a C101 Manix2 BL (C101MBGP2) from 2017-2018.

Did it come with a box?
Good to hear that it's not automatically a fake. I'll have to look into this.

It didn't. The person claimed to be the 2nd owner.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pictures of the blade markings and jimping are always helpful. Fully disassembled is always best, but don’t do it just for me.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

C101MBGP2 Is a back lock version. You implied it had a ball cage in your first post?
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

Everyone, this is super embarrassing, and I am a huge dummy. This has never happened to me before

There is a liner. But it came up so cleanly with the scale that I thought it was all once piece.

https://imgchest.com/p/na7kv6xk48d

The first pic shows it all.

Thanks for everyone jumping in tho. I cant believe I did that.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ha, well a good chuckle. I’m am very happy it is not a fake!

Spyderco’s liner to scale fit is pretty spectacular and tight. I had a PM2 that seemed to be glued together, but it was just really impressive fit.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

What JR said.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sparty569 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:37 pm
Everyone, this is super embarrassing, and I am a huge dummy. This has never happened to me before

There is a liner. But it came up so cleanly with the scale that I thought it was all once piece.

https://imgchest.com/p/na7kv6xk48d

The first pic shows it all.

Thanks for everyone jumping in tho. I cant believe I did that.

Glad for you that everything turned out to be fine!

And I think the fact that the S30V Manix liners are not skeletonized (while as far as I know the liners of all the other G10 versions are) can be deceiving indeed (one is used to see that holes in the liners, which the S30V Manixs don´t have though).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I like the idea of a linerless Manix 2 !!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:29 pm

So basically a Manix 2 LW, but in G10 instead of FRCP?

Though generally more into FRN / FRCP I´d perhaps like that too: The FRCP Manix handle is a bit blocky / not much chamfered, and a G10 handle could be rounded at the corners diy more easily.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Bolster wrote:
I tought you would say that... :smirk
So i can only say this...
Its the most terrible idea someone has ever posted on this forum it would destroy not only one of the most epic models ever made from spyderco it would also spit on its history! So stay off the liners and buy LW's!! :squinting-tongue
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:49 am
Bolster wrote:
Its the most terrible idea someone has ever posted on this forum it would destroy not only one of the most epic models ever made from spyderco it would also spit on its history! So stay off the liners and buy LW's!! :squinting-tongue

I thought you would say that... :winking-tongue

... and despite what I said above: I think you´re right - a linerless G10 Manix would be kind of an "in between thing" (unless we´re talking the backlock Manix).

Better to have a "real" lightweight with the FRCP version, and a chunky (positively meant!) linered G10 variant.

Actually I am always a bit tempted to get one of the latters myself - it could never get my most carried knife, but it must be a great piece to have, handle and use
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:18 am
apollo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:49 am
Bolster wrote:

I thought you would say that... :winking-tongue

... and despite what I said above: I think you´re right - a linerless G10 Manix would be kind of an "in between thing" (unless we´re talking the backlock Manix).

Better to have a "real" lightweight with the FRCP version, and a chunky (positively meant!) linered G10 variant.

Actually I am always a bit tempted to get one of the latters myself - it could never get my most carried knife, but it must be a great piece to have, handle and use
Haha i was waiting how long it would take before somebody posted that reaction on my reaction. :winking-tongue

And you hit the nail on the head. It would be an unneccesary in between thing. And lets face it the owners who love theyre LW's now have the option to take them apart and put g10 scales on them as much as they want.
So dropping the liners on the g10 variant would only be good to hurt all the people who like the g10 manix as it is.

And since the love ratio from the users of both classes seems to be around 50/50% it would be a huge smack in the face of all those that like a knife to have a good quality weight feeling in hand. Because eventough i respect the LW as a user the lack of weight will always give me the not trust worthy feel no matter how insanely strong it is or can be...
So to keep the status in balance both should keep excisting and have many many many new variants in the future... So now spyderco needs to make a lw magnacut for bolster and perhaps some kinky new steel for the g10 for us g10 fans.... :zany
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I don't think there's much point in a linerless G-10 model, but linerless titanium Manix aftermarket conversions have been around for a while. Seems like a no-brainer for Spyderco to produce an extra thin linerless titanium Manix, which could compete directly with the insanely expensive Benchmade Narrows at a lower cost and with minimal retooling. They'd only have to machine the scales and create an injection mold for a low profile ball cage. Get rid of the stupid lanyard tube entirely, bring the scales together behind the backspacer with a seamed construction and just drill the lanyard hole through the scales (or get rid of it entirely).