Inquiries and Concerns Regarding Stretch 2 XL CRUwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LuciusThorne

Inquiries and Concerns Regarding Stretch 2 XL CRUwear

Post by LuciusThorne »

Recently, I received a Stretch 2 XL knife in Cruwear with Grey G10 handles. Upon initial examination, I was quite impressed. However, upon closer inspection, a few potential issues have come to my attention.

Firstly, the factory bevels on the blade seem inconsistent. One side has a steep and wide bevel, while the other side has a shallow bevel that is almost non-existent. This has resulted in the knife snagging paper right out of the box, which is not what I typically expect from Spyderco knives.

Secondly, there is a tube provided for paracord/lanyards, but it appears that during regular closing of the knife, the tube comes into contact with the edge of the blade.

I'm curious to know if these observations are normal for the Stretch 2 XL model. I own a Stretch 2 in K390, which has been fantastic in all aspects.

Any insights or experiences regarding these concerns would be greatly appreciated.
Michael Janich

Re: Inquiries and Concerns Regarding Stretch 2 XL CRUwear

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear LuciusThorne:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

This issue has been brought up. There have been several more reports of the landyard tube hitting the edge. Some have removed the tube, some have sharpened past the point of it hitting, and some have sent it back.

This is the main thread where you will see some of those reports.
viewtopic.php?p=1680770#p1680770
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would take advice from JSumm and make your own decision accordingly. Also welcome to the Forum . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
z1r

Post by z1r »

While there have been reports of issues, which I have no cause to doubt, mine was a very nice example with none of those reported issues.

The edge hitting the lanyard tube would bother me. Uneven grind, not so much, I'd just put a 15 DPS edge on it and use the heck out of it.

But, we all have different expectations. I'm sure there are flaws that would put me off that others would find perfectly acceptable.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Jeff has the best info above.

I removed my lanyard tube, otherwise this knife is a gem. Wouldn’t trade it for the world.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

My FRN SXL had uneven bevels too, but the blade didn't contact the handle for what its worth.

Hope you get your issues resolved to your satisfaction. The SXL is a fantastic model.
:unicorn
z1r

Post by z1r »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:30 am
My FRN SXL had uneven bevels too, but the blade didn't contact the handle for what its worth.

Hope you get your issues resolved to your satisfaction. The SXL is a fantastic model.
Yes, agreed, it would be my EDC if it were is less than 3.5". Heck, if they made an FRN with Cru-Wear blade, I'd probably break the law. My G10 gets relegated to hiking and backpacking to avoid trouble.
cjk

Post by cjk »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:25 am
Jeff has the best info above.

I removed my lanyard tube, otherwise this knife is a gem. Wouldn’t trade it for the world.
Ditto the appreciation for Jeff and removal of my lanyard tube.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

also removed my tube due to the blade smacking it. not ideal, but good for now.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I solved my lanyard tube issue by reprofiling to 15 DPS on the first sharpening, then to 20 DPS on the second.

The blade held the 15 DPS beautifully, so I will likely go back to 15 on the next sharpening. No more blade damage and the tube stays intact.
Brian
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The uneven bevel is not causing it to snag paper. It’s just not sharp.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

LuciusThorne wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:15 pm
Recently, I received a Stretch 2 XL knife in Cruwear with Grey G10 handles. Upon initial examination, I was quite impressed. However, upon closer inspection, a few potential issues have come to my attention.

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

I certainly do respect that you don´t like those issues and I am not saying that this is the way it should be on an expensive knife.

But then it seems to me that both of the issues will go away inevitably anyway, just if/when you use (and sharpen) the knife.
And if you plan on NOT using the knife, the issues are no issues practically speaking, right?

Again: I am not trying to mock you by any means, this is just how I´d approach this (but having the FRN and not the G10 version of the XL, I don´t have to anyway).

And I do think Spyderco should address the lanyard tube thing should they bring out a cqi.ed version of the Cruwear Stretch XL (wonder if perhaps they already did with the upcoming Nishijn Cruwear version)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The thread Jeff referred to has helped me a lot with my own Stretch XL. It is currently heading back to the seller but for other issues.

If it is only the secondary bevel that is uneven it should not be much of a problem after the first full sharpening. However if it is due to the primary bevel being uneven it would annoy me way more. Im pretty sure it is just the factory edge and not the blade grind 😁.

As for the lanyard tube mine did not hit but was very very close. I'm almost sure one or two sharpening will make your blade stop touching this tube.
The tolerance there is crazy tight so with every moving part in this knife this must create some samples where the blade does touch it.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
cjk

Post by cjk »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:56 am
LuciusThorne wrote:

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

I certainly do respect that you don´t like those issues and I am not saying that this is the way it should be on an expensive knife.

But then it seems to me that both of the issues will go away inevitably anyway, just if/when you use (and sharpen) the knife.
And if you plan on NOT using the knife, the issues are no issues practically speaking, right?

Again: I am not trying to mock you by any means, this is just how I´d approach this (but having the FRN and not the G10 version of the XL, I don´t have to anyway).

And I do think Spyderco should address the lanyard tube thing should they bring out a cqi.ed version of the Cruwear Stretch XL (wonder if perhaps they already did with the upcoming Nishijn Cruwear version)
I think that Jsumm and I looked at the one in the proto cabinet really hard and the blade appeared to NOT be contacting the lanyard tube. That's an N of one, so not particularly significant. Probably fixed?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:03 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:56 am
LuciusThorne wrote:
I think that Jsumm and I looked at the one in the proto cabinet really hard and the blade appeared to NOT be contacting the lanyard tube. That's an N of one, so not particularly significant. Probably fixed?
Good to know, thanks!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)