Magnacut rust from pocket carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rinzler

Magnacut rust from pocket carry

Post by Rinzler »

This was a pocket carried knife. Obviously it’s not a spyderco blade but it is magnacut steel. I wonder how magnacut will fare as a salt series steel given how this knife picked up rust from simply being carried in a pocket.

yablanowitz

Re: Magnacut rust from pocket carry

Post by yablanowitz »

Probably just fine with the heat-treat optimized for corrosion resistence, which is probably not the case with that knife.
sal

Post by sal »

Spyderco did a great deal of testing before coming out with a production MagnaCut model. Many companies rushed to get MagnaCut into the market as fast as possible and maybe didn't learn what we did.

What Yab said.

sal
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

How long did you carry the knife before the rust appeared?
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Interesting, Could it also be some transfer from stuff that didn’t get cleaned off from manufacturing? We saw the same with lc200n…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The first time I carried my son's dragonfly salt to the beach, it got rust around the blade markings. Probably something rubbed off during the marking or some metal was burnt up and there you go. Once I rubbed it off it never happened again. Could be a lot of things.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Rinzler wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:20 pm
I wonder how magnacut will fare as a salt series steel given how this knife picked up rust from simply being carried in a pocket.

This isn't a good comparison, these are completely independent and separate companies doing separate things.

Let's put this in perspective, let's say you went to a restaurant and you had a steak cooked a certain way and now you're asking if ALL steak is the same as the one you experienced at that specific restaurant.

I don't think this is the right place for talking about Hinderer

If you want to talk about that restaurants steak, go to that restaurant. Don't take the steak to a different restaurant and ask why it was cooked a certain way or not tasting a certain way.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I've been carrying a MagnaCut Native in my bike jersey while cycling this year, that's about the worst I do to a knife. It gets rinsed off with tap water every few rides. So far no rust. I'll keep soaking it in sweat over the summer to see if it does anything.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Justintoxicated

Post by Justintoxicated »

heck those specs could be embedded from when the knife was machiend. Even my stainless homebrew pots and kegs can rust though, and that stainless only has one job, not to rust. There is also a passivation process that can reduce rusting.
MidnightCoalCo.

Post by MidnightCoalCo. »

I recently carried my magnacut native 5 down to the beach with me and had no issues. Granted I was only down there for a few days. Also used it for a bit of food prep and mine still looks good as new. I have had a good experience with it so far.
:bug-red-white Spyderco enthusiast with way too many to list. :bug-red-white
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've actually had rust spots on an H1 blade. It was at or near the "H1" logo, and was clearly from tiny bits of metal residue that had become embedded onto the blade during the grinding or etching process.

Jim
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

That's because of the blade finish.

I've had working finish 20cv Hinderers rust in a similar way just from being carried, but my stonewashed m390 xm24 has sat in wet shorts overnight multiple times with no rusting whatsoever.

This is common knowledge amongst the Hinderer crowd, and not relevant to Spyderco at all.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks to Shawn, I just want a steak.
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

Curious if Magnacut Salt knives will have lower hardness than non-Salt Spyderco Magnacut knives?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Christian Noble wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:24 pm
Curious if Magnacut Salt knives will have lower hardness than non-Salt Spyderco Magnacut knives?
Nope, That's not how that works.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

My first thought is that it looks like the bug is missing from the blade... I'm in the woods with Magnacut now and so far I can say my Spyderco is earning it's Salt name. I've been carrying it since January in the wet and snow. No maintenance beyond wiping the blade with a wet paper towel or a quick scrub, in the sink, with an old toothbrush and dawn dish soap. I sing the praises and wish you the best of luck with yours.

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:08 pm
Thanks to Shawn, I just want a steak.
Best I can do is Brisket

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:01 pm
Best I can do is Brisket…
Looks like that Manix has been sharpened a few times. Also, now I’m hungry. Going back to Texas in a few weeks; best believe I’ll be getting some brisket.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Looks fantastic. I had a bone in ribeye. Except that it's my Sunday night, life is good.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Giygas wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:25 pm
That's because of the blade finish.

I've had working finish 20cv Hinderers rust in a similar way just from being carried, but my stonewashed m390 xm24 has sat in wet shorts overnight multiple times with no rusting whatsoever.

This is common knowledge amongst the Hinderer crowd, and not relevant to Spyderco at all.

Exactly!

Hinderer Working Finish and Rust Spots are a known issue regardless of the steel.

Hinderer Working Finish: “First the parts are given a sand blasted finish. Then, they go over to the huge tumbler for a stonewashed finish.”

I had issues with rust spots on Bead Blasted finishes as well: Zero Tolerance 0560CBCF.
Last edited by RamZar on Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln