I prefer the Native Chief Over the Millie.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jerome Howard

I prefer the Native Chief Over the Millie.

Post by Jerome Howard »

I like the Military, but since I've had my Native Chief, I find it to be the superior knife. I prefer the blade shape, the shape of the handle, and for a knife this big, I prefer a lockback. When its locked, it might as well be a fixed blade. It is solid.

I like that it's fully ambidextrous. I can open it with my left hand even though I'm a righty. I can carry a knife in each pocket and not have to transfer the one in my left pocket to my right hand to open it, or use any finger contortions with my left hand.

I like the absence of a hump on the blade. It just makes sense on this blade size. I like laying my forefinger flat on the blade for precision work. I like the long slender blade. It is quite "stabby" and a great slicer.

I'll always have a Military. It was one of my first Spyercos way back when. But I just think that the Native Chief is a better knife all around.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Evil D

Re: I prefer the Native Chief Over the Millie.

Post by Evil D »

I mostly agree, but definitely agree I'll always have a Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Same for me, but I’d not be one to say the NC is superior, only that it’s a better fit for me over the Military.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I am a Millie for life guy. It would be interesting to have a lock back Millie version since the Millie 2 is going compression lock The blade shape of the Millie is better for me and I feel I would trust the Millie tip more than the Chief tip
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

I’ve had a few of both in several different steels. But I’ve always liked my police 4 g10 more than either. The military didn’t slice well enough for me and the chief made my thumb feel cramped when opening (but I’ve lost some range of motion in my right thumb). Police works best in my world but I love the chief and military for what they are
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I had a Millie and have a completely unused St.Nicks M4 Chief at home right now - both great knives (as far as I can tell concerning the Chief from just holding it), but I still think I'll sell that Chief and have no Millie at the moment - because I prefer Endura and Stretch XL over both... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I still haven't seen a chief in person, but the military impressed me more than I expected. I doubt I'll buy another 4" knife unless I see something that really speaks to me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:56 pm
I had a Millie and have a completely unused St.Nicks M4 Chief at home right now - both great knives (as far as I can tell concerning the Chief from just holding it), but I still think I'll sell that Chief and have no Millie at the moment - because I prefer Endura and Stretch XL over both... ;)

If you weren't on the other side of the planet we'd be talking about that Chief 😉
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:33 pm
I like the Military, but since I've had my Native Chief, I find it to be the superior knife. I prefer the blade shape, the shape of the handle, and for a knife this big, I prefer a lockback. When its locked, it might as well be a fixed blade. It is solid.

I like that it's fully ambidextrous. I can open it with my left hand even though I'm a righty. I can carry a knife in each pocket and not have to transfer the one in my left pocket to my right hand to open it, or use any finger contortions with my left hand.

I like the absence of a hump on the blade. It just makes sense on this blade size. I like laying my forefinger flat on the blade for precision work. I like the long slender blade. It is quite "stabby" and a great slicer.

I'll always have a Military. It was one of my first Spyercos way back when. But I just think that the Native Chief is a better knife all around.

Just my $0.02 worth.
The Millie and the Native Chief are great folders, but I agree, there is something about the profile of the Native Chief. It's so beautiful it looks like it fell right out of a Porsche Design Catalog.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This similar kind of thread was going on not long ago. Good info and preferences.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94608
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I have a self imposed limit of 10-11 Spyderco folders. Because of this if one comes in one goes out. I recently got a siren cf s90v and the native chief went out. I really liked the chief and I agree it is the best looking knife Spyderco makes. I just like the siren more. I have a military s110v and I do like it more than the chief.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
kobold

Post by kobold »

I agree, but still, although I have the CF S90V Native Chief, the Fluted Ti Millie will always be my nicest, most loved Spyderco (and the Fluted Native #2). For me, only a Native Chief Fluted Ti could best the Millie.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

They have a different enough blade shape for me to not really compare both of these knives. For housework & in the workshop I prefer the Millie. For precision cuts, food and carrying outside I go towards my Chief.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the Chief better in pocket and the Military better in hand.

I haven’t carried either that much since I got the StretchXL.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:22 am
I like the Chief better in pocket and the Military better in hand.

I haven’t carried either that much since I got the StretchXL.
I agree , much prefer both f my Stretch XL models over the Millie and Chief . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

vandelay wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:04 am
I still haven't seen a chief in person, but the military impressed me more than I expected. I doubt I'll buy another 4" knife unless I see something that really speaks to me.
Check out a P4 SE K390, I bet that will impress you.
Last edited by mongo1958 on Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

What will be a game changer is the new lock on the Military 2.0.

I'll buy one of those knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

It's the opposite for me. Military all the way. I tried to like the Native Chief, but the Military just feels much more natural in-hand, just like I prefer the Chaparral and Sage over the Native. I've since sold all my Natives and Native Chiefs except for an S90V Native Chief since that's my favorite bladesteel, but that will be getting let go of soon also.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

mongo1958 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:46 am
vandelay wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:04 am
Check out a P4 SE K390, I bet that you will impress you.
I've thought about it before. I really like K390 but I'm just not that interested in a Seki FRN backlock with liners. I'd rather spend the extra money and get a chief if I was going to pick one.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think I’ve got to try a Native Chief.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.