Will 15v become regular production for flagships?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
capt.carl

Will 15v become regular production for flagships?

Post by capt.carl »

Given the popularity and excellent reports we are getting on shawn’s treatment of 15v, do you think this steel will make it into regular production? I understand the BBB folder will be regular production (really looking forward to that), but I’m wondering about the flagship models. Maybe it will replace maxamet or 110v?

Btw, we need another run of those 15v manix 2’s!
Wandering_About

Re: Will 15v become regular production for flagships?

Post by Wandering_About »

I'd love to see 15V put in regular production. Much as I don't want Maxamet to be phased out entirely (it's unique stuff, and well worth trying if you're an edge/steel nerd), 15V has really impressed me. 15V sharpens better, and I have found that the edge is more stable, in my use case anyway. I'll always be throwing in a vote for a regular production 15V model, even if it's just one.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Im liking it so far. I would buy more knives featuring this steel.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

It depends on you,

sal
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I haven’t been fortunate enough to snag a 15v folder yet. That being said I hope it does make it into full production models. If a para 3 is done in 15v I will be trying hard to get one.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I want to get a knife in 15V in a black blade , so yes I would be interested in a production version in this steel . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My answer would be yes for 15V to be added to the line up. Same goes for all steels that have so much demand and hype (warranted in this case from what I read). If it truly is as good as claimed, then why wouldn't it make to the line up?

You probably could clear the decks and make your standard US-made line up something like 15V, Magnacut, BDN1. Simplify logistics and still cover the bases.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Thanks, Sal for the reply. Your company is the best in the business, always pushing the envelope.
tyd450

Post by tyd450 »

i'd love to see a 15v manix lightweight
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’m sitting here wondering why they haven’t finished Crucarta-ing all the Golden models. I know the factory is slammed, so maybe we finish that process first, and then move on to a new steel?

I’d probably buy 15V too. I like K390 a lot, and Maxamet is pretty great, so I think I’d like 15V.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:24 am
I’m sitting here wondering why they haven’t finished Crucarta-ing all the Golden models. I know the factory is slammed, so maybe we finish that process first, and then move on to a new steel?

I’d probably buy 15V too. I like K390 a lot, and Maxamet is pretty great, so I think I’d like 15V.

I vaguely recall something about some steel called Spy27 too. Don't remember what ever became of that lol.
7he028.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

As much as it's usually sad to see a steel get replaced by another, K390 taking over for ZDP-189 made sense to me, as does 15v for Maxamet if there is only so much capacity. Of course, I could say the same for Magnacut and S30v for my tastes.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I think it will depend on user feedback after folks have it in hand for a while and the FOMO hype fades. Given the edge retention, feedback on maintenance and sharpening en mass might take a while.

Spyderco is the only major production house that has these types of extreme steel offerings so every new product steps into the unknown after it’s saturated the die-hard fans.

15V is in a situation that is precarious, it’s performance is between two existing offerings but with a better balance of properties tilted towards edge retention. At the same time, Magna-Cut is entering the picture so that will also compete in people’s budgets as a “must have” product with any 15V release that is done in a similar time frame.

If we want to see 15 V in regular production, rather than babying our knives in 15V; we should use it, abuse it, test it’s limits, and maintain it to provide detailed feedback to spyderco to help inform their decisions.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

electro-static wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:03 am
Spyderco is the only major production house that has these types of extreme steel offerings so every new product steps into the unknown after it’s saturated the die-hard fans.
Agree, we are spoiled for choice. It is fantastic.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
msum

Post by msum »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:55 pm
It depends on you,

sal
Wow, this sounds promising…
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would like a 15 Military.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I managed to pick up a 15V Manix back in December. I've been really impressed with how it performs.

15V just seems like a better deal than Maxamet. It doesn't microchip as easily, it sharpens better (probably due to the reduced microchipping), seems to corrode less easily and it costs less. I can't imagine a 15V production line not selling if Maxamet can sell.

Comparing it to K390, I'm not actually sure if 15V is better. K390 edges seem to last forever and in theory microchip less. I'm sure I'll come to a conclusion eventually but it takes a long time to actually dull one of these steels. I only have a Dragonfly in K390 so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison either.

Regardless of K390 vs 15V, I'm impressed enough with 15V that I'd like to see more. I might try to pick up one of the new sprints but they seem to disappear almost instantly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vandelay wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:03 pm
I managed to pick up a 15V Manix back in December. I've been really impressed with how it performs.

15V just seems like a better deal than Maxamet. It doesn't microchip as easily, it sharpens better (probably due to the reduced microchipping), seems to corrode less easily and it costs less. I can't imagine a 15V production line not selling if Maxamet can sell.

Comparing it to K390, I'm not actually sure if 15V is better. K390 edges seem to last forever and in theory microchip less. I'm sure I'll come to a conclusion eventually but it takes a long time to actually dull one of these steels. I only have a Dragonfly in K390 so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison either.

Regardless of K390 vs 15V, I'm impressed enough with 15V that I'd like to see more. I might try to pick up one of the new sprints but they seem to disappear almost instantly.

I see K390 and 15V coexisting quite well, if K390 is predominantly made in Seki and 15V stays in Golden.

I am still extremely interested in K390 Golden models though and am very much hoping for a SE Shaman, I've really come to prefer Golden's serrations over Seki's.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’ve suggested before that the Military models could be “paired” really nicely.

A Maxamet Military and 15V Military 2 would compliment each other.

In the same vein, but stainless, the S110V Military could be complimented by a M398 Military 2.

Just a way to keep a variety of steels in the upper echelon of edge retention available in something with a lot of edge, without doing too many variations of the same model.
(Evidently, the Military and Military 2 are different enough to spark quite a lot of discussion on the forum).

That said, I’ve thought for a while that Rex45 would/should make it into a production model after the success of Sprints and exclusives in the steel and because of its great edge performance.
I’m eagerly anticipating any potential Rex45 Native Chief Lightweights and Military 2s!

BBB seems to be doing a lot of collaboration with Spyderco outside of 15V, like some recent mention of 65rc Spy27.

What I’m getting at is that I have no idea.
There’s always so much going on.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:55 pm
It depends on you,

sal
Well if the market signal you're looking for is for all the 15V sprints to be instantly sold out, and hard for buyers to find..... You've got your sign.