What you don't like about spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cvrcm

What you don't like about spyderco knives?

Post by cvrcm »

Hello everyone. Fresh Spyderco fan here. As a newbie, I don't have a solid opinion on the brand and knives yet.

I know I'm probably asking for trouble asking this question here, but hey, nothing is perfect, even the best product can have flaws.

Is there anything you don't like about all or specific models? Or about brand?
steelcity16

Re: What you don't like about spyderco knives?

Post by steelcity16 »

I am a hard core Spyderco loyalist, but I don't care for their popular PM2 and Para 3 models due to the compression lock. I've had those models open slightly while clipped to my pocket on numerous occasions, leading to some small (thankfully) cuts. I've never had a problem with any of their other locks or models. My favorite models are the Seki City, Japan made FRN Backlocks such as the Delica, Endela, and Endura. I own and carry dozens of them!

I'd suggest you start with the recently released limited edition Endela exclusive in CPM Cruwear steel. It combines my favorite model with my favorite steel in a great looking color scheme. The Endela is kind of slept on, but it is really the perfect knife.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-end ... wear-blade

After that, check out a Delica Wharncliffe in K390. The Wharncliffe is such a great and useful blade shape and the Delica, while a bit smaller than the Endela, is more blade than you will need on 99% of occasions.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/spyderco ... 11fpwk390/
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I think it is completely ok to discuss your input.

I also think if one has a real, "grown up" interest in Spydercos, is enthusiastic about the products, really thinks about and tries them out it is inevitable that not everything can be perfect on every model for everyone.

And I am sure Sal and Spyderco do not want a bunch of no-matter-what-uncritical-submissive admirers here, but as said grown up people who really use and try their knives, appreciate how great they are in general, but also give their honest opinion and feedback.

/ Now things I personally might be not too fond of with Spyderco

- models with thick bladestock, but still rather thin and fragile tip (for example Para 3.
I´d prefer giving such a model thinner stock or, if it has the overbuilt beater bladestock anyway, a stronger tip too.

- Choils on small, but not really small knives: : There are Spydies that have to have a choil for a good four finger grip (DFly, for me also Chap) and such, that are large enough for offering a good four finger grip also BEHIND the choil (Stretch 2, Manix). Perfect!
But: In the size between (Native 5, Para 3...) a choil for me just makes the grip area too short behind the choil, plus shortens the available cutting edge. I´d rather see more choilless models with still a generous handle, and more edge in that particular size range

- Bias towards too many comp.locks and almost no linerlocks in the mid to high end range
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

What don’t I like about Spyderco? There honestly isn’t much too complain about, I’ve owned and used Spydercos for over 5 years and loved every second of it. If there is one complaint I have is that they have so many **** models with so many different steels to choose from. When you’re on a budget and itching to try out different knives it’s rather frustrating. 😂

Edit: and I absolutely love the comp lock and am glad it’s available in so many models. I truly think it’s one of the most innovative and significant designs in folding knife history.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
benben

Post by benben »

SO MANY MODELS!! Sprints & exclusives of my favorites, which is really a good thing.....just not for me! ;)

Keeping up with the Joneses, in this case the Glesser's can hurt a man's wallet!
cvrcm

Post by cvrcm »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:10 am
I'd suggest you start with the recently released limited edition Endela exclusive in CPM Cruwear steel. It combines my favorite model with my favorite steel in a great looking color scheme. The Endela is kind of slept on, but it is really the perfect knife.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-end ... wear-blade

After that, check out a Delica Wharncliffe in K390. The Wharncliffe is such a great and useful blade shape and the Delica, while a bit smaller than the Endela, is more blade than you will need on 99% of occasions.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/spyderco ... 11fpwk390/
Exclusives are great, but almost impossible to get in my region. Even so, the prices are prohibitive.
But the Delica K390 is available and I've been considering it for some time. Together with the Dragonfly K390. In addition, they convince me with their size, because I am a fan of smaller versions of knives. Endela is a bit too long for my taste and small paws.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hmmm... this could be a very loaded question indeed, but I think that it's a worthwhile topic for discussion.

I'm a long-timer Spyderco customer - I think they offer the best production knives on the market, at the best price point. I particularly enjoy Sal Glesser's designs - they are uniquely ergonomic. I also think that Spyderco is a company with strong values, and they do their best to live their values. I can get behind that.

One thing I wish they'd do is make a Sebenza. Not literally, but if I may explain my point a bit here, I'd like a neutral-handled drop-point knife in the 3.5" range, with a round hole and a titanium frame lock. Also some Micarta, if I had my druthers. So far, I think the Gayle Bradley 2 is the closest. I don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon, but I sure would like it.

Similarly, I wish ZT would produce a knife that was less SciFi than their current lineup. They're starting to do that with a new fixed blade, actually, which I think is really cool, but I'd also like to see.... a Sebenza. :p
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

These are some things I wish they'd change about their lineup.
These are all minor complaints. Really only the first 2 would stop me from buying a knife.
  • Lack of chamfering on the inside of the G10 on knives with captured liners. The edges are sharp and dig into my hands. This is the worst on compression lock knives because they don't have a backspacer. This is possible to fix with sanding, but sanding G10 sucks and some models are not easy to disassemble.
  • Fat wharncliffe blades. A few models, like the lil' native and dragonfly, have a really fat wharncliffe blade that makes the closed knife profile a lot bigger (and uglier IMO). We need more PM2 wharncliffe style profiles.
  • Peened lanyard tubes. Disassembly is not easy when these are involved. On the manix, they are part of the structural integrity of the knife too.
  • Shrinking knives doesn't shrink their bladestock. The lil' native and para 3 both seem excessively thick. Seems they're changing this with the new lil' native LW though.
  • The cage lock's cage is shaped in a way that doesn't give you much grip. The manix being hard to unlock seems to be a common complaint and I think this is mostly down to the cage shape. After using it for a while, it stopped bothering me, but it feels like an unnecessary hurdle.
A great thing about spyderco is their CQI process can result in some of these things getting fixed. Riveted manix LWs and red loctite on screws used to be a complaint, but after CQI manix LWs are screwed and they use blue loctite.
Skar

Post by Skar »

I like them all.. no complaints from me.
Other than more g10 offerings in place of fen would be nice.
Such as the Delica and endura, maybe even wood grips.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:51 am
Hmmm... this could be a very loaded question indeed, but I think that it's a worthwhile topic for discussion.

I'm a long-timer Spyderco customer - I think they offer the best production knives on the market, at the best price point. I particularly enjoy Sal Glesser's designs - they are uniquely ergonomic. I also think that Spyderco is a company with strong values, and they do their best to live their values. I can get behind that.

One thing I wish they'd do is make a Sebenza. Not literally, but if I may explain my point a bit here, I'd like a neutral-handled drop-point knife in the 3.5" range, with a round hole and a titanium frame lock. Also some Micarta, if I had my druthers. So far, I think the Gayle Bradley 2 is the closest. I don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon, but I sure would like it.

Similarly, I wish ZT would produce a knife that was less SciFi than their current lineup. They're starting to do that with a new fixed blade, actually, which I think is really cool, but I'd also like to see.... a Sebenza. :p
I feel like the Drunken is probably the closest Spyderco is ever gonna get to a Sebenza. Obviously not the drop point version, but the edge is almost the exact same as the Insingo blade shape.

Edit: But on topic, Id say my only real complaint with Spyderco is the fit and finish of their Japanese models.

There's the picture that someone posted here recently of their Cruwear Delica, pointing out how uneven the grind was. If I got his example, it would probably have been the best grind I've got from Seki-City in the last 5 years.
Last edited by Giygas on Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I like most things Spyderco. The only gripe I have is color scheme. IMHo they have painted themselves into a corner with color schemes tied to a particular steel. I feel this doesn’t allow for much variety. If you like K390 and dont like the blue then you are SOL. I like the green for the salt line but hate the yellow. The Magnacut native is only yellow. Pass. Also as new steels come around will they need to recycle colors or have less desirable color options? Of course this isnt a real problem. Just an annoyance.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The pit from which Spydies come is bottomless, and I can’t stop looking into it. That’s what I hate, NOT.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

So many things to love. The people. The knives.

Need the Caribbean in S90V and carbon fiber. :bug-red
- Richard
brancron

Post by brancron »

The one thing I don't like is the tip-down screw holes found on some knives. While I don't mind tip-down carry (the Military is my favorite knife), I don't like the look of extraneous screw holes.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The thing that most commonly stops me from buying a particular Spyderco model is a large radius curve - a gradual slope - where the index finger rests (like on a Delica). My hand just can't find a happy resting place on those. Lucky for me, many Spydercos have a small radius curve where the index finger rests (like the Manix & Sage, either forward or back grip--also the Dialex Junior has a nice small radius curve) so I still have plenty of models to choose from.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Also the lanyard holes. IMHO to much compromise given to have one on some models
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Much of what I don't like can be applied to any knife brand.

Fingers grooves that don't fit my hand/fingers

Weak detents

Sharpening notches, ricassos, basically any non edge space between my grip and the edge not including a finger choil. This alone shoots down a vast majority of models especially with other brands.

Strongly upswept bellies, or just blade tips that are high on the centerline of the blade and handle.

More Spyderco specific:

Lack of SE options, though they're doing much better than 5 years ago.

Inconsistent SE patterns and angles. I wish they all came exactly the same size and angle, and could all be sharpened on the 30 degree slots on the Sharpmaker.

A zillion variations of some models but no variations of others. Example, instead of 10 different Para 3's can I just get one SE Ulize?

Long lead times.

Gaps in "combination families", for example they did a few models in S110V and blurple, but there were many more Golden models I would have loved to see in that combo. Another example might be edge types, right now there are a bunch of models coming out in K390 but only a few have SE options. This kinda goes back to my lack of SE options complaint but it also just means less "sets" I might otherwise buy.

It would be cool if it were possible for every knife to use the clip/lanyard hole combo instead of having the lanyard hole in a different spot, ala Shaman or Native.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Blade thickness is my biggest gripe. If it were up to me, I would reduce the stock thickness of every 3mm blade to 2.5, and every 4mm blade to 3.

There's nothing wrong with black G-10, per se, but after 40 years I'm tired of it. Same with black FRN.

For me, there are too many comp locks. Don't get me wrong, I love the Caribbean and PM2, but I'd love them more with any other lock.

T6 screws. Why not standardize on T8?

These gripes don't keep me from buying knives, and I have a lot more Spydercos than all other brands combined.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

1. I do not like the fact that they don't offer a factory, deep carry, clip (besides their wire clips). I would prefer them on some models. The fact that they see so many of their knives with aftermarket, deep carry, clips, should be a big hint. I understand the traditionalists, but the demand is there.

2. I do not share Spyderco's enthusiasm for the priority of the lanyard hole. It seems like they go out of their way to make room for a that dang hole while almost disregarding the more important part, the clip.

3. I wish consumers could buy internal factory parts/screws for Spyderco knives directly from Spyderco.

4. I hate FRN scales/handles. They are too light and feel cheap. (I know I'm going to get destroyed for this one). I never understand why people spend big money for beautiful, high quality, steel and then wrap it with what looks and feels like plastic. I prefer G10, micarta, wood, titanium, and almost anything, besides FRN. Too add, I'm also not impressed with the Zome pattern on some of the FRN. The process to achieve it sounds impressive, but the result still looks cheap.

-All in all, Spyderco is by far my favorite knife marker and there is no rival when comparing quality, cost, and value. The small gripes above in no way deter my love for the company and their products.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Some things I do not like.
But there are way more things I like ad love about them.

So, all is good.

Dislike:
Overbuilt sometimes
Pricey (some very)
Exclusives (impossible to get here)
Weak detent at the flippers
Too many backlocks
Combo edge design
Serrations too pointy
Blade on the short side
Ergos sometimes off for me
Soft screws (hard to disassemble)