Spyderco Collaborators You Would Love to See Again?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Collaborators You Would Love to See Again?

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco themselves have a lot of great "In House" designs that I personally rank up there with the best of them throughout the entire knife world. Because the original TEMPERANCE 1 model is still one of my most favorite fixed blades I've ever owned and used>> and that bad boy is getting close to 20 years old. Not to mention their C-36 Military and many others brilliant "In House" designs that Sal & Eric have blessed us with.

But Spyderco is also well known for many of their great collaboration projects with other top notch knife designers like Jason Breeden, Jess Horn, Gayle Bradley and JD Smith just to name a few.

Two of my personal all time super favorite Spyderco collaborations are Massad Ayoob who did the awesome C-60 folder in the early 2000s. And JD Smith C-58 model which is still one of my very favorite Spyderco folders ever made. I'm sure you all have your own personal favorite designers that Spyderco did collaborations with over the years. The recent Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob has made me want to see Mr. Massad Ayoob get back to the drawing board to do his second masterpiece for Spyderco. I do hope that happens some day>> yeah he's that good. And the JD Smith I believe is one of the best practical designs I've ever owned or used.

So which of the great collaborators/designers that you would like to see return to Spyderco with a newer design collaboration? Not sure if JD Smith is even still with us but if he is I would love to see a follow up of his first Spyderco collaboration. Him and Massad Ayoob have been my favorites for years now. I got a feeling that this is going to be a most interesting thread. So give us two or three picks of your favorite collaborators you would like to see return????
JSumm

Re: Spyderco Collaborators You Would Love to See Again?

Post by JSumm »

Gayle Bradley, definitely Gayle Bradley. Seems like some like one over the other, but they all seem to be held in high esteem.
Is it just 3? Air, GB1, & GB2?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Darriel Caston and Serge Panchenko are the first two that come to mind for me.

Also, I’d love to see them work with Kevin Wilkins again to develop an updated Leafstorm. Also, I’d like to see more from Paul Alexander. I’m a big fan of his designs and it’s been a while since we’ve heard of anything new from him and Spyderco.

Selfishly, I’d love to collaborate with Spyderco to produce one of my own designs as well.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A lot of people here in the Spyderville community tend to overlook the great contributions that young Jason Breeden made about 10 years ago with his two collaborations. The C-111 Captain and the Breeden RESCUE models were both unique and interesting and both would have been much bigger sellers if they would have been offered in full SE ( especially the C-111 Captain).

Just another item to consider when looking at possible serrated Sprint Runs. And another designer from long ago that always got great reviews was Fred Perrin ( Streetbeat Fame). I've found all of his designs well done. Would like to see some of his stuff in full SE as well.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Definitely the mini framelock version of Hundred Pacer from Johnny Liao:

Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

JD Smith has retired from knifemaking, but he's still alive and kicking. I would enjoy seeing another Spyderco collaboration with him. Another Terzoula design would be great, but he has his own (Chinese made) Terzoula Tactical, as well as collaboration knives with Civivi.

And a big YES! to the mini framelock version of Hundred Pacer from Johnny Liao.
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

Mr. Ed Schempp. 100%. I’d love for a new Tuff or Rock to come out in the future.
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’d be most excited to see another Bob Terzuola collaboration. But like dvirsky mentioned, he’s working with other companies now.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I want to try to be flexible so I could be happy to see some mentioned just hope the see an ambi clip on a resurrected model . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Waiting on this from someone who IMHO is the top Spyderco external collaborator: Marcin Slysz.

SpydieChef 2 prototype
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really haven't gravitated so much to collabs, I just like a design or I don't. My favorite collaboration models are probably the ones where Sal and Eric team up lol.

Besides that it's a broken record that'll probably never get played again.... another Ulize design in SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:19 pm
Waiting on this from someone who IMHO is the top Spyderco external collaborator: Marcin Slysz.

SpydieChef 2 prototype
I was going through some very turbulent times when the Slysz Bowie was in the main line up. By the time I got bills paid and other obligations taken care of the Slysz Bowie was long gone>> and the prices on Ebay and the secondary markets had gotten ridiculous. I've been on the lookout for some time. But a new Sprint Run would be really cool.

A Slysz Bowie with a Supersteel blade and possibly a Carbon Fiber handle sure sounds attractive.

Glad to hear that JD Smith is still around. I wonder if there is a way I could mail him a letter? It would be so cool for him to do another collaboration.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:23 pm
I really haven't gravitated so much to collabs, I just like a design or I don't. My favorite collaboration models are probably the ones where Sal and Eric team up lol.

Besides that it's a broken record that'll probably never get played again.... another Ulize design in SE.
I'm a bit taken back by this comment. Because I thought for sure you liked the newest C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run we just got recently. OR was it just the SE version maybe? But I do 1000% agree with Sal & Eric's IN HOUSE designs. I would love to see a bigger scale version of the Dodo at some point. Or something else along that line.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Anything Phil Wilson. Please make it happen.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:28 pm
Evil D wrote:

I'm a bit taken back by this comment. Because I thought for sure you liked the newest C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run we just got recently. OR was it just the SE version maybe? But I do 1000% agree with Sal & Eric's IN HOUSE designs. I would love to see a bigger scale version of the Dodo at some point. Or something else along that line.

Yeah there are collabs I do like but I guess I meant I don't like them specifically because a certain person made them, or in other words for example if Massad Ayoob designed another knife with Spyderco I would pay attention but I wouldn't just automatically want it. Seems like some people are into collecting all of one designers designs but that would only work for me if they were really specific about how they design them.

Example, I loved the original Southard but had no interest at all in the Hanan.

I loved the Sliverax but didn't care for the Ikuchi.

I guess I'm trying to say it's a case by case basis and not so much "ooh look that guy I like made a new knife I instantly like it". I think we all experience this and don't think about it...Sal has designed a bunch of knives and I don't think any of us universally like every one of them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jlw

Post by jlw »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:01 pm
Gayle Bradley, definitely Gayle Bradley. Seems like some like one over the other, but they all seem to be held in high esteem.
Is it just 3? Air, GB1, & GB2?
For folders there is also the Advocate. The fixed blades are the Junction, the Bradley Bowie, and the Nightstick.

More would be more betterer.

James
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:

Yes ! While we have some already have been brought back others the Ulize has been ignored . I would be all in for new release of this model in both blade types . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’d be in for a grey G10 and Cruwear Ulize… I love the hollow ground recurve blade but by the time I came around and convinced myself I need an Ulize they were recently discontinued and not easily acquired.
-Nick :bug-red
TCX3

Post by TCX3 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:04 pm
I’d be in for a grey G10 and Cruwear Ulize… I love the hollow ground recurve blade but by the time I came around and convinced myself I need an Ulize they were recently discontinued and not easily acquired.
I feel the same. I really hope the Ulize comes back.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i like all of the collabs i have, but i'd kind of rather see new designs from sal and eric more than i would like to see more from other designers. eric has come out with some crazy designs in the past. i'd like to see him do some more.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C