Bow River Modified

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dodge

Bow River Modified

Post by Dodge »

Ever since I saw the prototype photos I have always wondered why they dropped the index dimple off the production knife? After some thought and an inventory of my diamond burrs. I decided to put my Bow River “under the knife” to make closer to the way Mr. Wilson intended.

.250” diamond round burr on a pin vice for about 5 mins of sanding and then a quick wash and wax. It’s perfect for a pinch grip index and to help you safely locate the edge in the dark. Though I doubt that was the reason it was added in the first place.
Attachments
3B0F16E7-9032-48EA-BA3E-1DDC0F626176.jpeg
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
clinton1

Re: Bow River Modified

Post by clinton1 »

I love this mod! The Bow River is an incredible value, but while processing deer found that the edge is a little too easy to find. Haha. This looks like it really solves that issue. Thanks for posting.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Interesting. Guess I'm not familiar with the original design. If Mr. Wilson's intent wasn't for indexing, then I wonder why he included that dimple. Indexing certainly makes sense as there's really nothing tactile to tell you how close to the blade you are. I wonder where he located the original dimple? Like how far back from the edge.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Good practical mod. Thanks for sharing.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:40 pm
Interesting. Guess I'm not familiar with the original design. If Mr. Wilson's intent wasn't for indexing, then I wonder why he included that dimple. Indexing certainly makes sense as there's really nothing tactile to tell you how close to the blade you are. I wonder where he located the original dimple? Like how far back from the edge.
You can see the original in the current Spyderco catalog. It appears they used the old prototype photo from the previous catalogs.

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Bow River is one of the coolest Spydies I have but sadly the least used. I just don’t have many times where a folder won’t do. I made a cool kydex sheath and strapped it on my hiking backpack strap. Looks cool!
mokele

Post by mokele »

I wish it was released with an upgraded steel.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Dodge wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:06 am
Bemo wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:40 pm
You can see the original in the current Spyderco catalog. It appears they used the old prototype photo from the previous catalogs.
Is it a dimple or foreward lanyard hole in that pic? It's hard to make out the details in the pic i saw.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:23 pm
Is it a dimple or foreward lanyard hole in that pic? It's hard to make out the details in the pic i saw.
dimple. You can see it clearly in the 2018 video starting at 0:34. Eric calls it a "divot". I assume it would've cost too much for the price point they wanted to hit.

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:52 pm
Enactive wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:23 pm
dimple. You can see it clearly in the 2018 video starting at 0:34. Eric calls it a "divot". I assume it would've cost too much for the price point they wanted to hit.

Cool. Thanks.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:49 am
The Bow River is one of the coolest Spydies I have but sadly the least used. I just don’t have many times where a folder won’t do. I made a cool kydex sheath and strapped it on my hiking backpack strap. Looks cool!
Pull it out and cook with it. They also make great steak knives!

Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

The divot was part of the original design and I sometimes use it on other designs as well. It is used to add additional retention with a kydex sheath. The sheath would have an --opposite-- to the divot dimple that snaps into the sheath when closed. The Bow River ended up with a nice leather sheath so the divot was not needed. It could be useful for locating the knife in the hand but I can't take credit for that idea. Phil
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Dodge wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:00 pm
zhyla wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:49 am
Pull it out and cook with it. They also make great steak knives!
It’s got too much belly to be useful on a cutting board. Would work fine as a steak knife though.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:40 pm
The divot was part of the original design and I sometimes use it on other designs as well. It is used to add additional retention with a kydex sheath. The sheath would have an --opposite-- to the divot dimple that snaps into the sheath when closed. The Bow River ended up with a nice leather sheath so the divot was not needed. It could be useful for locating the knife in the hand but I can't take credit for that idea. Phil
I'm really happy they chose the leather sheath. It gives the whole package of feeling of both classic and modern with the leather sheath mixed with the layered g10 handle.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:40 pm
Thank you for your insight on my question. This is a very refined design for the price point.

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Confession time. Initially a Boltaron sheath was advertised to be available for the Bow River. It never materialized so I didn't purchase the Bow River. Even knowing that the optional Boltaron sheath would probably cost as much as the knife I would have purchase the combo. Kept waiting for the sheath to drop, but it didn't happen.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:51 pm
Confession time. Initially a Boltaron sheath was advertised to be available for the Bow River. It never materialized so I didn't purchase the Bow River. Even knowing that the optional Boltaron sheath would probably cost as much as the knife I would have purchase the combo. Kept waiting for the sheath to drop, but it didn't happen.
They used to have them in stock.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB46SH/1805

There is an option to "add to cart", but that $70 price seems high. I thought they used to be around $25 or $30. But even if Spyderco doesn't have any in stock, they have said in the past that you can order directly from SheathPro, which is the company who makes them.