PM2 exclusive alerts and the horrible app

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderForLyfe

PM2 exclusive alerts and the horrible app

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

I think Spyderco needs to accept that their app sucks and just make a new one already. Nothing but problems with it since day 1. Just got a double exclusive alert for a new PM2, can't find a **** thing anywhere in the app referencing it, or anywhere else for that matter. Can't even see the product catalog.
Screenshot_20221227-151739.png
Screenshot_20221227-151352.png
RamZar

Re: PM2 exclusive alerts and the horrible app

Post by RamZar »

The notifications that you got don’t even appear on iPhones.

I think the App is supposed to show the new KnifeCenter Exclusive ParaMilitary2 which went on sale this morning.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP81GP ... -exclusive

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SharpThinker951

Post by SharpThinker951 »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:19 pm
I think Spyderco needs to accept that their app sucks and just make a new one already. Nothing but problems with it since day 1. Just got a double exclusive alert for a new PM2, can't find a **** thing anywhere in the app referencing it, or anywhere else for that matter. Can't even see the product catalog.

Screenshot_20221227-151739.pngScreenshot_20221227-151352.png
VERY WELL SAID!!
VERY FRICKING FRUSTRATING!!
Even more disappointed given their excellence in the EDC world!!

Please do better Sal & Eric......
40+ :bug-red Favorite steels are Sexy-Rexy45, Maxamet, S110V, M398, Rex 76 and Magnacut is growing on me.
15+ Benchmades - AXIS lock stole my heart before I bought my 1st :bug-red Sliverax with Compression Lock
2 CRK, 4 Olamic, 2 Vero, 4 MT, 3 Browning slip joints 1980's
5+ Restored Normark pocket knives 1980's - some are originals I bought through Bass Pro Shops
AND a whole lot more, but I think you get the point I have kept most of my childhood hero knives and only added newer and nicer knives!
Knife Steel Nerds Unite!! LOL
Guts

Post by Guts »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:33 pm
The notifications that you got don’t even appear on iPhones.

I think the App is supposed to show the new KnifeCenter Exclusive ParaMilitary2 which went on sale this morning.

So it wasn't just me not getting the notifications on iOS from the app huh. Besides the notifications not working, I actually rather like the app though personally.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Guts wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:02 pm
So it wasn't just me not getting the notifications on iOS from the app huh. Besides the notifications not working, I actually rather like the app though personally.
Clearly the Android and ios apps are very different, but both have their failings. And many of them. Just out of curiosity, what DO you like about the app? Do you see the product catalog? Because I've never been able to see it on my [Android] app. The only reason I keep it on my phone is in the vain hope that someday they hire a programmer that knows what they're doing and updates it.

EDIT: I should mention that the only thing that does work for me on the Android version is the reveal.
Guts

Post by Guts »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:06 pm
Guts wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:02 pm
Clearly the Android and ios apps are very different, but both have their failings. And many of them. Just out of curiosity, what DO you like about the app? Do you see the product catalog? Because I've never been able to see it on my [Android] app. The only reason I keep it on my phone is in the vain hope that someday they hire a programmer that knows what they're doing and updates it.

EDIT: I should mention that the only thing that does work for me on the Android version is the reveal.

Everything in the app works for me besides the notifications. I like the presentation and layout. The animations are slick. Again, besides the notifications not working, I like everything about it. Definitely seen way worse first party apps.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Alright, well clearly Android isn't getting as much love from Spyderco as ios... Sad.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

The last few notifications have worked for me but the one today did not which has happened in the past. Like it overall but it is occasionally glitchy which isn't exclusive to the Spyderco app, several of the apps I have on my phone are more annoyingly lacking.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't rely on any app to give me notifications for something like this. The notifications on the Spyderco app seemed to work pretty well for me on my Android devices (but not on my work iPhone) but I turned them off because I really don't want to know. I do watch the forum here and follow Spyderco on FB and IG. So I'm usually well aware when something's coming that I want. I set a reminder in my phone so I get notified before the drop
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm a diehard Spyderco fan (obvi) but deleted the app months ago; it's slick, but doesn't add any value for me without alerts or notifications. I'd add it back if it could reliably alert me to drops or other developments.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I jumped on the App, iOS, so I don’t miss release notifications, especially Thai past surprise online seconds sale. I will be disappointed if alerts don’t work in iOS, it’s the whole reason I got it.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Stock Android 13 here, no issues with alerts or seeing the info in the app
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I'm an iOS user, and the Spyderco App hasn't worked for over a year. I thought it was my old iPhone X. Now I'm rockin' a new iPhone 14 Pro, and the app still doesn't work. The last notification in the app's "Notification Center" is dated 06/11/21.

Under "Home," I see a variety of knives, alerts, hats, and reveals. When I click on each one, I get a blurb advertising the 2019 Blade Show.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I gave up using it as I had nothing but trouble. Then surprise a bunch of alerts came through. I reality I want the printed catalogue and reveals. They work better for us to discuss purchases.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Mini2white wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:24 pm
I gave up using it as I had nothing but trouble. Then surprise a bunch of alerts came through. I reality I want the printed catalogue and reveals. They work better for us to discuss purchases.
I prefer the printed materials too. Electronic is fine for a quick reference, but printed makes it easier to get an idea for actual size of the knife. I used to have the Spyderco App on my old phone, but I don't think I really ever used it, so I off-loaded it. (At one time, I thought it would be nice to at least use it for the "knife reminder" when going into airports, but it never worked for me, for some reason :winking-tongue )
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Mini2white wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:24 pm

I feel both of your pain, and I do love printed catalogs as well for the same reasons. However, a [working] app has it's place as well, and there's no reason we can't have both. We just need to get Spyderco to give the app a little much-needed TLC. I think the app is a great concept and would be perfect for all of us if it worked right.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I have the same blank catalog issue + no notification on an android phone.
But I've put that on the fact that I'm in another country.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Danke

Post by Danke »

They should totally go back to printed catalogues that they mail out with all the sprints and exclusives.

That way the rest of us who can use the internet will have a better chance at ordering them while everyone else is checking their mailbox every day.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

I guess I'm the only one who thought 'horrible app' must be a Twitter reference.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:02 am
I guess I'm the only one who thought 'horrible app' must be a Twitter reference.
Didn't you hear? It's not horrible anymore. It's been great for a couple of months now :')