Price increases 2023?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Price increases 2023?

Post by VooDooChild »

I cant remember if this has already been covered, but does anybody have an idea about the price increases for next year.

Sure I would like there to be none... But if they go up I would like to know what is increasing and by how much?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ImightBgreen

Re: Price increases 2023?

Post by ImightBgreen »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:50 pm
I cant remember if this has already been covered, but does anybody have an idea about the price increases for next year.

Sure I would like there to be none... But if they go up I would like to know what is increasing and by how much?
Being discussed here: viewtopic.php?t=93729
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

For reference, in 2022 street prices increased quite a bit. Below street prices (MAP) are calculated at 30% off MSRP:

• Street prices on U.S. models increased by 10%+.
  • Street prices on Japanese models increased by 5-7%+.
  • Street prices on Taichung models increased by 15%!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I don’t know what their plans are but I am expecting there to be price increases for 2023.

I would still like to see MAP adjusted to help offset the cost increases.
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yeah, and I'd like to see prices go down instead of up, but that's not going to happen either. I don't know why people insist on blaming Minimum Advertised Pricing for inflation. Inflation is going to happen regardless of advertising. As long as the population of Earth continues increasing and governments keep spending money they don't have, inflation is going to happen. How much will the next price increase be? How much did your wages go up last year? Multiply that by the number of people it takes to mine the ores, refine them, process them into the premium steels we demand, machine the steels into parts and fasteners, manufacture and machine scale materials, assemble all that into a knife and ship that knife around the world to get it into your hands and you'll have a pretty good idea of how much prices are going to go up.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

To be fair, I haven't seen anyone posting that MAP is to blame for inflation. I think what most people are asking is either remove MAP (which is impossible at this point economically speaking), or reduce MAP to levels where it would be a good compromise between dealer profit margins and buyer/elu satisfaction. I think the last BF sales proved that you can go beyond current MAP and still make a profit for dealers.
Last edited by nerdlock on Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

No one is blaming MAP for inflation.

———

Quick scenario -

Currently the Military Model = $310 MSRP and $217 MAP at 30% off MSRP.

If prices increase by 10% again and MAP stays the same, the Military Model = $341 MSRP and $238 MAP at 30% off MSRP.

If prices increase by 10% again and MAP is adjusted to 35% off MSRP, the Military Model = $341 MSRP and $221 MAP at 35% off MSRP.

———

An increase of either $21 or $4. That tiny 5% difference in MAP equates to a 425% difference in price increase. It is an ideal way to help offset the inevitable price increases for end line users and consumers. It seems like a no brainer to me!
-Nick :bug-red
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

I just ordered a Pacific Salt 2 today to try and avoid any price increases. This may be my last Spyderco purchase. Prices are getting to be ridiculous.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
rgc

Post by rgc »

Debating one more before the year ends too as I am not sure when prices will increase in the new year.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

If prices go up another 10% Spyderco would really need to make work of there budget line.
Give China new models that are on par on fit & finish like golden or other makers like Civivi, kizer,…
Because Golden models like taichung models will be getting un payable soon!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Make knives (fixed blades) and have seen everything go up from pins, steel, epoxy to handle materials in the last few years. Steel has been the biggest change in price over the last 3 years. Especially the good stuff.

Have recently bought a timber stabiliser (vacuum chamber) and have been buying wood from the source to cut costs. Buying in bulk at sales and shopping around for most thing.

I don’t pay wages or anything, but can just imagine a business as big as Spyderco coping with the increased costs of everything. Boy, the cost of shipping and transport ie:Fuel cost alone… would be justifiable for a price rise in 2023…
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I am decreasing my intake of new knives due to price increases. Im usually good for 12- 20 knives per year and honestly might keep that number under 5 for 2023! Only spydercos on my radar right now are soon to be released manix 2 lightweight salt in magnacut and maybe a military 2.....will see.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i complained last year and bought more spydercos this year than any other. i am getting to a point where i will buy less and less because they're getting too expensive and because i have more than i need. i would say it's time to get more selective, but i already am pretty selective. i'm sure spyderco will continue to release compelling knives and we'll continue to buy them. i already have a few on my list for the upcoming year.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:32 pm
Yeah, and I'd like to see prices go down instead of up, but that's not going to happen either. I don't know why people insist on blaming Minimum Advertised Pricing for inflation. Inflation is going to happen regardless of advertising. As long as the population of Earth continues increasing and governments keep spending money they don't have, inflation is going to happen. How much will the next price increase be? How much did your wages go up last year? Multiply that by the number of people it takes to mine the ores, refine them, process them into the premium steels we demand, machine the steels into parts and fasteners, manufacture and machine scale materials, assemble all that into a knife and ship that knife around the world to get it into your hands and you'll have a pretty good idea of how much prices are going to go up.
Based on the metric I highlighted in yellow, I'd say prices should not go up at all. You'd be surprised how few get cost of living increases. I'd say the majority of US workers make less each year if you account for inflation.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:32 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:32 pm
Based on the metric I highlighted in yellow, I'd say prices should not go up at all. You'd be surprised how few get cost of living increases. I'd say the majority of US workers make less each year if you account for inflation.
my pay increase was less than 1/3 of the inflation increase.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

The other day I made a post about the price of things since I joined the forum in 2007.

The price of Spydercos has roughly doubled in those 15 years.

It got me thinking about other things I buy, and whether or not they've doubled in price.

Skateboards are the same price as in 2007.
Disc golf discs cost the same.
Videogames same price.
Milk is about the same.
Gas costs about the same, though it shows serious fluctuations ($1.50 - $4.50 since 2007, currently $2.50/gal)
Tires for my old car are the same price.
Flashlights cost the same and you get waaaay more for your money than when LED tech was newer
Toothpaste, soap and similar cost the same as they did.
Victorinox knives have gone up maybe 5-10% in price.

Now things that have doubled in price since 2007:

Target house brand pasta sauces
Food service sized orders of raw chicken wings had doubled in price right after the first covid lockdowns but have since stabilized below that
1lb ground beef rolls
Spyderco knives

That's all I can think of.

Wonder what it is about knives and tomatoes and ground beef that saw their prices go up so much?
Last edited by vivi on Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
rgc

Post by rgc »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:39 pm
For as long as the blues are in the white House, prices will always go up... Everything
For as long as career politicians are in the White House (and Congress) prices will always go up as it does not matter what letter comes after their name any more as they are all there to maintain the status quo and add to their individual wealth and power.

Now back to knives . . .
I want one from the Taiwan factory . . . looking at a Sage 1, but, if that increased another 15% this year I don't think I would do it.

As for making their knives in China better to compete with the Golden factory, well, that would also increase the prices of those knives as the higher end WE or Civi or what have you knives can have just as high of a price as anything made in the USA. Granted sometimes the materials used are better as labor is still cheaper over there but I digress. I understand the need for a company today to offer "budget" knives made in China in order to remain financially competitive. That said, I also will still will not buy knives from China regardless of their quality.

All to say my knife budget may stay the same or be reduced but that just means I will have to be more selective with what and when I buy (or trade more often to get new to me knives).
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Considering inflation is off the charts this year a significant increase seems inevitable. Oh well, it is what it is.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:39 pm
For as long as the blues are in the white House, prices will always go up... Everything
Not to belabor a point that could lead to a political discussion, but history says inflation averages about 3.6% for the past 80 years, with red outperforming blue by about 0.1%. This means that over the long haul, prices go up, period. History also says it sometimes boils down to having a job and paying high prices, or being unemployed.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Every year this comes up, and it's always yes, the prices on Spyderco knives are increasing. They never go lower from one year to the next.

I'm glad I no longer feel compelled to buy new knives. There are still a couple or a few more I'd like someday, but I don't feel like I HAVE TO have them. I can do with or without.

I got my basic PM 2 back around 2011 or so for just over $100. Maybe $110. Is it already twice that now? In another 10 years they'll be around $400 apiece. Obviously, they're going to hit a ceiling, but I won't be dealing with that.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.