Comm in January 2023 Blade Magazine about Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steeljustice

Comm in January 2023 Blade Magazine about Spyderco.

Post by steeljustice »

A Mr. Jim Wilson in his remarks about Blade Magazine's picks of knives of the year 2022, he said Spyderco has probably 100 variations of the same knife, and so similar are most that it's nearly imposible to tell them apart.

About the only difference he says he can see between the Mililtary 2 and the rest of Spyderco's offering is a slightly smaller, less obnoxious thumb-opening hole. While that does minimze the the typical awkward Spyderco appearance , he struggle's to see how it's the American Made Knife of The Year. Where the options that limited.

I take exception to Mr. Wilsons comments as to the 100 variations of the same knife, he really does not understand the difference that many of Spyderco knives have that to the novice might seem similar but are really far from being similar.

where i once worked part time selling knives we had a very large selection of Spyderco Knives, and many customers would spend hours handling many of them, i can tell you they might look similar but to the customers they are far from being similar.

As to his Comment About the only difference he says he can see between the Mililtary 2 "PM2" and the rest of Spyderco's offering is a slightly smaller, less obnoxious thumb-opening hole.

I do not think Mr.Wilson has ever himself handled a Spyderco PM2, or he would not have made such an off handed comment, if he as i am one who ownes and carriers the Spyderco PM2 each day he would understand just why it was picked as Blade Magazine Knife of The Year and righfuly so.
phaust

Re: Comm in January 2023 Blade Magazine about Spyderco.

Post by phaust »

Probably best to take the shiny footprints approach to this one and let it pass without discussion
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think I’m well within the “shiny footprints” framework to say the following:

To be heard in a massively overcommunicated world, exaggerations, misrepresentations, grandstanding, and provocative statements are the norm. It’s OK to yawn, and turn the page.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Poor guy doesn’t know steels like we do… :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree.
phaust wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:43 pm
Probably best to take the shiny footprints approach to this one and let it pass without discussion
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Serious question, who is Jim Wilson?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

steeljustice wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:41 pm
I do not think Mr.Wilson has ever himself handled a Spyderco PM2,
I don't know Jim Wilson, nor I've never read Jim Wilson's articles. But here I am, only two minutes after hearing his name for the first time, mentioning him thrice within as many sentences. This Jim Wilson bloke is a marketing genius.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

In defense of similarities across Spyderco’s lineup, I remember an old proverb: “Creativity is like farting — if you have to force it, it might be sh!t.”
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:31 pm
steeljustice wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:41 pm
I do not think Mr.Wilson has ever himself handled a Spyderco PM2,
I don't know Jim Wilson, nor I've never read Jim Wilson's articles. But here I am, only two minutes after hearing his name for the first time, mentioning him thrice within as many sentences. This Jim Wilson bloke is a marketing genius.
Haha I just caught myself googling his name, you are absolutely correct. Like others stated above it’s probably best to let this one go, shiny footprints.
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

I just found it strange he went to the Blade show and this is all he found to complain about, it's the first time i ever saw a post of this kind in a Blade Magazine.
It takes all kinds.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

one of my favorite things about spyderco is their many significant advancements to the pocket knife world. when spyderco started, you wore a knife in a belt sheath or carried it in the bottom of your pocket. when spyderco started, you opened and closed your knife with two hands. to criticize a company that changed the way we carry and use knives and that continues to push the boundaries with new innovations, designs, and steels in such a way is just ignorant and worthy of being discarded without acknowledgement.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
attila

Post by attila »

Anyone have a link to his commentary?

I’ve never heard of this unenlightened Jim Wilson before. He sounds like a person who’s spent zero time with Spyderco knives. I say this because, having spent zero time with Emerson knives, my memory of all I’ve seen is generically the same. Despite my lack of exposure, I don’t smack-talk Emerson.

Fun fact: The only Jim Wilson I know of is the airline code-word for human remains that they may be transporting. Comes from the air transport caskets manufactured by a company called Jim Wilson.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

All,I’m going to say is I will be on the lookout for somebody who has a username, Thumbstud ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:35 pm
In defense of similarities across Spyderco’s lineup, I remember an old proverb: “Creativity is like farting — if you have to force it, it might be sh!t.”
Well said. Especially in comparison with some other knife brands who seem to have a new gimmick every 6 months.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:41 pm
All,I’m going to say is I will be on the lookout for somebody who has a username, Thumbstud ! MG2

… What is a thumbstud ? ',:-|
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:52 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:41 pm

… What is a thumbstud ? ',:-|
I can’t go there! :zany Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Poor guy doesn’t know steels like we do… :winking-tongue
I receive Blade magazine and didn't read it yet. That Wilson guy seems to be taking a cheap shot at Spyderco. I usually thumb the pages looking at knives, then read a few in depth stories. I usually skip the comments.

That is one major problem, the steel. People that buy gas station knives will never know, and since Wilson did not submit evidence that he seeks out knives for their blade steels, one is left to wonder what he decides to buy any particular knife for.

The other is that he does not understand "pedigree." There are similarities in attributes within any bladesmith or knife manufacturer. I am sure that a blindfolded knife collector of one knife manufacturer could pick out the odd knife out of 100, that did not have the same pedigree.

Also, how do you meet the needs of all potential customers if all of your knives are 3.5 inches long, when some of the customers live where 2.5 inch blades are the legal maximum? You make a knife 2.5 inches or smaller, that's how, and that explains some of the duplication.

Sal and Eric created Spyderco, they can figure out what to do from here.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I read Wilson's letter. I'll respond to Blade and see if they publish my statement. It will be a short and succinct statement.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

He should be either ignored for being deliberately controversial or pitied for being so … err… un-inquisitive.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Emailed to Blade Magazine 5AM, 12/25/2022

A response to Jim Wilson's Letter:

Sorry that Spyderco isn't you Bee's Knees.  I know for a fact that the knife market is not saturated, maybe you should try your luck manufacturing knives.  Use your astute observations to create something.  I'm not a huge collector, 100 knives max, and have around 20 Spyderco knives, fixed and folders.

Blindfold a knife collector and allow them the opportunity to open, close and feel 100 knives and I bet they could pick the odd one out of the bunch.  Design pedigree and differences in manufacturing are the only thing the blindfolded knife collector can rely on in this case.  Should be easy enough if they know knives.

Take the blindfold off and we can discuss steel(s).  According to the WorldSteel Association, "Steel is not a single product. There are more than 3,500 different grades of steel with many different physical, chemical, and environmental properties."  Spyderco's 2020 Steel Chart has around 85 steels on it, many of which Spyderco makes knives from.  Collectors snatch up the knives, test and use the knives, often reporting back as to what they have found regarding the knife steel.  Spyderco has probably used 150 different steels to manufacture knives with.  So while you see 10 variations in a knife, the differences may only be in the steel.  I dig it!  I must have 10 Spyderco Native Chief knives with 4 inch blades and I plan to collect them all.  The steel differences are cool, and the knife is one heck of a self defense knife for a folder.

Spyderco looks at what knife you carry as a personal decision, as well as one which may be governed by the laws in which you reside or travel to.  If a manufacturer only makes knives with blades over 3 inches in length then they cannot be legally carried in some jurisdictions.  The same goes for locks, in some jurisdictions the possession of a knife that locks is illegal.  There are certainly other design criteria that must be considered, and Spyderco tries to accommodate all customers.

Sincerely,
Thomas