Manix jimping poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which style of jimping do you prefer on the Manix & Mini Manix?

1 - just spine jimping
21%
2 - spine and choil jimping
32%
3 - spine and choil jimping, and jimping along the handle
32%
4 - no jimping
13%
5 - other (specify in reply)
1%

Total votes: 77

vivi

Manix jimping poll

Post by vivi »

Out of these three choices, what's your favorite style of jimping for the Manix and Mini Manix?

Option 1 - Spine jimping only.

Option 2 - Spine jimping and index choil jimping. (note the handle jimping was ground off this Manix)

Option 3 - Spine, choil and handle jimping as is from factory on gen 2 Manix models.

Option 4 - no jimping like the early Spyderco knives

Option 5 - Other

After carrying my new C95 Manix the past few days, then going back and handling my Manix XL's, the thing that sticks out to me the most is all the jimping on the handle of the XL's.

In using my C95 this week to break down boxes, and having years of familiarity with it in the past, I can confidently say my hand has never had an issue keeping a grip on the handle.

To me the handle jimping on the XL's is excessive.

I can see an argument on the mini Manix where it's more likely your hand could slip off towards the back on heavy draw cuts.

However the XL has a U shaped grip and grippy G10 scales, so I can't figure out a purpose for the handle jimping on that particular model.

I can take it or leave it when it comes to index choil jimping. I'd prefer no jimping on the index finger contour of the main grip, but being finer and less abrasive it doesn't bother me as much as the coarser jimping on the handle.

What's your take?

I voted option #1. Just some spine jimping works fine for me.
:unicorn
Wandering_About

Re: Manix jimping poll

Post by Wandering_About »

My opinion on jimping is probably controversial but here it is: Remove all of it from all the knives.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

The RSD liner delete titanium scales offer a ton of improvements, but the total elimination of all handle jimping is probably my favorite.

Edit: I voted spine only but after actually reading the choices I'd change my vote to spine and choil, if possible.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I voted for all 3 but the handle jimping isn't something I find very useful. The jimping doesn't bother me at all so I don't see a reason to remove it. Spine and choil are useful though.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I like the way it is on the Manix 2. So option 3 for me. The jimping, on the handle, is so round, it does not get uncomfortable.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I personally don’t see much value in jimping. On top of that I find the jimping on the Manix2 to be rather excessive.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think jimping gives a certain aesthetic that might be worth preserving, but Spyderco could take away the jimping from every knife and I wouldn't miss it. My RockJumper is perfect for me. I don't typically dislike it either, but I'll have my first Manix in the mail sometime today, so we'll see how much I know about myself in a bit.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I voted for spine only, but can accept choil jimping. The Manix 2 has excessive jimping that could be toned down or eliminated. My Rockscale Design scales have proven that to me. The Manix is greatly improved with the Rockscale Design scales.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have complained in the past about bidirectional texturing on fixed blades and in general have argued that a knife handle with good ergonomics doesn’t need texture. I pretty much feel the same way about jimping. If the ergos are on point then the jimping is superfluous. The Manix has a handle that locks your hand in pretty well. It has a deep choil, large index finger guard and a pronounced pinky horn. Why exactly does it need jimping?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the way the manix has jimping on the handle, coupled with the large finger cutouts and palm swell, plus the ambidextrous lock and larger diameter spydie hole, makes me think that it designed to be used with gloves. the jimping isn't that aggressive (it is quite rounded) and it seems like it would give extra traction a gloved hand would enjoy for a more secure feeling grip. in that context, it makes perfect sense to me.

in bare hands, it does feel unnecessary, but it doesn't bother me at all. i actually like it a lot.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Jimping is like checkering on a gunstock, jeweling on the firewall of an automobile, or pin striping on a motorcycle. Functionality is arguable, but it conveys the artistic expression of the craftsman who created it.

To me, the jimping adds some pizzazz to the Manix.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Going back and forth between handling the two generations, I had been thinking about what I'd want in a generation 3 Manix.

For me two things immediately come to mind. Removing the handle jimping, and keeping the handle thickness of the first generation.

I appreciate the thinner blade stock of gen 2, but the thinner handle takes away from that beefy, folding fixed blade feel the original gives me.

What I'd like to see in gen 3 would be the same 3mm blade stock as gen 2, but thick enough scales to achieve the same overall handle thickness of gen 1. Wouldn't complain about some Shaman style contouring either ;)

Thanks for answering the poll everyone. Interesting hearing everyones take.
:unicorn
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I voted for index choil and blade hump jimping only. The handle bumps don’t add any value for my uses.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

For me, it depends on how aggressive it is.

If jimping provides friction, it's good anywhere. As soon as it crosses the line into causing chafe, no thank you.

"Friction is sailors' best friend and chafe is their worst enemy."
-Unknown, but often quoted
nonstainless

Post by nonstainless »

Voted #2
Handle jimping is the most annoying. I don't think that choil or spine jimping is necessary either but it doesn't bite as much.
Talking about gen 3 - it would be cool to redesign the lock part in a way that the handle hides more of the blade when closed. It would make manix more comfortable in the pocket. Countouring would be nice too.
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. L11:35
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the jimping. It is functional. Functionality is emphasized on models like the marbled cf, and smooth G-10 models.

I also like that it is extra grip that doesn't eat your pockets like aggressive G-10 texture does. I vote to keep it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
R100

Post by R100 »

Love the Manix, hate the handle jimping. I like the spine jimping and could go either way on the choil. I have been giving my Pattada a run in the last few days and that one is a bit slippery with no spine jimping. Like the Manix it has a fairly gentle rise on the thumb ramp and it feels a bit insecure when putting weight on it.

Dan
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I like the current Manix jimping. At worst, it never bothers me…at best, you can confidently hold your knife in odd positions. It’s not that way for everyone but I like it enough to own 7 Manixes, even though it’s not my favorite model.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Current production suits me just fine. I suppose that is either option 2 or 3 as originally presented. I have carried and used the Manix for years and have never had any objection to the jimping. I like my knives rough as a cob in general.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like it on thumb ramps and finger choils but I also think the Manix 2 ergonomics are strong enough in shape that the handle could provide great grip without any jimping at all. On my custom version I ground down all of it except the thumb ramp and choil.

You can sorta see in this pic, it's all ground down flush with the G10. It's even still functional when you squeeze it because your skin presses into the "gears" that are left. The spine looks the same.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David